Scissor jack with BMR jacking rails

jsg1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
none at the present
I looked through alot of post and most with the rails use the floor jacks which I get when I'm home. When traveling what scissor jacks do you recommend would work with the rails. I purchased the spare from a previous thread and was wondering about the jack.
Thanks
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Scissor jacks are obviously more dangerous, but as long as the seat on top is wide enough and suitable, you can jack it from any location along the rail.

OP
OP

jsg1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
none at the present
Scissor jacks are obviously more dangerous, but as long as the seat on top is wide enough and suitable, you can jack it from any location along the rail.
Yes I agree about the scissor jack. Any other options for a small jack to take on trips or is that really the only option?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yes I agree about the scissor jack. Any other options for a small jack to take on trips or is that really the only option?
It's the option for weight savings and cost. You can get a small bottle jack that will a little safer but heavier.

Sponsored

JCDriller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerad
Vehicle(s)
97 Cobra, 2001 Saleen, 2003 Cobra, 2020 GT500 CFTP
It's the option for weight savings and cost. You can get a small bottle jack that will a little safer but heavier.
I don’t see how you fit a bottle Jack under the car, I’ve never seen one that short.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
I have at home, what I call a porta power jack that I bought from Harbor Freight. It comes with a couple of different sized rams and extensions. But it's not convenient to keep in your trunk. I keep a low profile scissors jack in my trunk for emergency purposes. Most scissors jacks are basically cheap and apparently not intended for consistent use, other than to change a tire now and then.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Harbor Freight lighweight aluminum racing jacks aren't that large and are light - long handle can be detached and easily stored (and disassembled into two pieces). Much safes and 1000 times more convenient than scissor or bottle ones.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Last edited:
OP
OP

jsg1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
none at the present
I was wondering about one of those. They look good. I’ll have to measure and see if it’ll fit under the car. It’s 4 3/4 inch tall when closed.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jsg1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
none at the present
What do you think is the max height fully closed would be needed to fit under the car if a tire was flat ?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What do you think is the max height fully closed would be needed to fit under the car if a tire was flat ?
Measure tire sidewall width (the distance from tread touching floor to the edge of rim).

Measure distance from bottom of jacking rail to floor, if jacking rails are installed. If no jacking rails, then measurement would be from bottom of pinch weld to floor.

Deduct tire sidewall width from jacking rail to floor; that should give you an approximate "if flat" height to determine minimum height for getting any type of Jack under the jacking rail or pinch weld.

OP
OP

jsg1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
none at the present
Measure tire sidewall width (the distance from tread touching floor to the edge of rim).

Measure distance from bottom of jacking rail to floor, if jacking rails are installed. If no jacking rails, then measurement would be from bottom of pinch weld to floor.

Deduct tire sidewall width from jacking rail to floor; that should give you an approximate "if flat" height to determine minimum height for getting any type of Jack under the jacking rail or pinch weld.
Thank you. Will try that as soon as it warms up here. Then I’ll buy the jack. I bought the spare tire kit but didn’t get the jack with it cause I didn’t think the one they sold with the kit would work with the BMR rails.

JCDriller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerad
Vehicle(s)
97 Cobra, 2001 Saleen, 2003 Cobra, 2020 GT500 CFTP
A simple solution would be for us to weld a stud on the top of the scissor jack that fits the screw holes in the jacking rails. This would lock the scissor jack into the jacking rail with zero chance of movement.

OP
OP

jsg1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
none at the present
A simple solution would be for us to weld a stud on the top of the scissor jack that fits the screw holes in the jacking rails. This would lock the scissor jack into the jacking rail with zero chance of movement.
Good idea. Another thing I need to try when it warms up. Wish I had a big garage that I could work in like some others. Jealous !!!
Sponsored