2017 GT350 LB H6153

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
It will get worse - but to confidently claim it will not be worse than the 'delta' wave is brave! The evidence is pretty clear from countries ahead of you in the 'omicron' wave is that case numbers have rocketed and hospital admissions are now also rising very fast. In the UK where most have now had the booster, admissions are rising sharply in the last few days - about 3 weeks after the cases started rising. The early cases were in young people (much less likely to be hospitalised) but it is now seeding into older at risk people. Remember SA has a much younger population than UK or US as well. Add in flu, which in some countries such as Israel is now combining with COVID to add yet more pressure, and it will be a tough few months for healthcare.

Nobody can claim with any genuine confidence what is going to happen in the UK never mind the US. Some states in the US have very low vaccination rates which will have a localised impact on the disease.

It isn't the end of the world, but it is a very significant blip on the road to recovery.

My metric is deaths. Yes there will be a ridiculous amount of diagnosed cases, like everywhere else on earth. And yes hospitals will be strained during the peak. But the US lost 200K to delta - I don't see that happening for omicron.

PS and remember that SA vaccination rate is less that half of the US or IK.

Last edited:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
My metric is deaths. Yes there will be a ridiculous amount of diagnosed cases, like everywhere else on earth. And yes hospitals will be strained during the peak. But the US lost 200K to delta - I don't see that happening for omicron.

PS and remember that SA vaccination rate is less that half of the US or IK.
It is but they had just come out of a huge delta wave plus have a younger population so extrapolating one country to another can be difficult, especially countries as different as SA and UK/US

Agree deaths are obviously the most important factor, but a lot of hospitalisations put a huge strain on treatment of other conditions too.

Genuinely don't know how this is going to go here, hospitalisations now rising rapidly as it seeds into older people. Wait and see.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And zero surprise that your only response to data proving you wrong for the umpteenth time is a childish "I'm rubber you're glue". What a sad nitwit!
What are you talking about? Some old articles from the Atlantic and USA Today prove me all wrong? Specifically how? There was nothing to respond to.

Again, you are full of shit when you claimed fear mongering and wanted to know when hospitals were ever at 100%. Data proved you absolutely wrong - not some article in a magazine.

Your bias easily clouds your judgement, just like all good pharma reps.

The US hospital system is in crisis and it is sad and almost laughable that you think you know otherwise. Maybe we all just need to take a few more pills, huh?

Fool

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
What are you talking about? Some old articles from the Atlantic and USA Today prove me all wrong? Specifically how? There was nothing to respond to.

Again, you are full of shit when you claimed fear mongering and wanted to know when hospitals were ever at 100%. Data proved you absolutely wrong - not some article in a magazine.

Your bias easily clouds your judgement, just like all good pharma reps.

The US hospital system is in crisis and it is sad and almost laughable that you think you know otherwise. Maybe we all just need to take a few more pills, huh?

Fool
My entire point was the percentage that are hospitalized for covid vs incidental. Of course everything here flies over your head. If it was 45% pre-omicron it will be obviously higher in the coming weeks.

Again, your ignorance and stupidity is stunning. Why I bother responding to you at all is the real mystery here! It's as pointless as arguing with antivaxxers. Later loser.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My entire point was the percentage that are hospitalized for covid vs incidental. Of course everything here flies over your head. If it was 45% pre-omicron it will be obviously higher in the coming weeks.

Again, your ignorance and stupidity is stunning. Why I bother responding to you at all is the real mystery here! It's as pointless as arguing with antivaxxers. Later loser.
Which had nothing to do with being proven wrong about your 100% hospital capacity statement. Fact remains, the system is in crisis and it is far from fear mongering to say so as you claim.

Your lack of awareness is astounding.

You go ahead and keep arguing with yourself about off-topic things. Good luck.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As an outsider, I have no idea whether some of the hospitals are in trouble or not. But, I also have no idea how the percentage of patients in a hospital with Covid tells us anything about whether the hospitals have reached their capacity or not.

Speaking from personal experience, our local hospital is stressed for beds at any given time. ANY added pressure to that system is a problem.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an outsider, I have no idea whether some of the hospitals are in trouble or not. But, I also have no idea how the percentage of patients in a hospital with Covid tells us anything about whether the hospitals have reached their capacity or not.

Speaking from personal experience, our local hospital is stressed for beds at any given time. ANY added pressure to that system is a problem.
I think the pill pusher got confused. 100% capacity, not 100% of patients have Covid (which is an absurd assumption).

We are operating at crisis level standards now in my state. Doesn't matter what conditions the patients have.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Will be interesting to see what that graph looks like at the peak of the omicron wave. I'm sure vaxxed will be lower than unvaxxed but the vaxxed incidence/100K will be much higher.
Not sure what you're getting at. I'd figure the graphs will still show that the most incidence and deaths will rank the highest for unvaxxinated, then lower for fully vaccinated without a booster, and the lowest for fully vaccinated with a booster. Will have to watch and see how it plays out.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
We are operating at crisis level standards now in my state. Doesn't matter what conditions the patients have.
Yep ... like I mentioned earlier, being at 100% all the time is not the mode you want hospitals to be in. It's hard on staff and resources, and it also makes it a crap shoot for people who really need hospitalization to get the needed care.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Not sure what you're getting at. I'd figure the graphs will still show that the most incidence and deaths will rank the highest for unvaxxinated, then lower for fully vaccinated without a booster, and the lowest for fully vaccinated with a booster. Will have to watch and see how it plays out.
Getting at the incidence of omicron covid in the fully vaxxed vs delta covid. Seems pretty clear that omicron will be much higher.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Getting at the incidence of omicron covid in the fully vaxxed vs delta covid. Seems pretty clear that omicron will be much higher.
Only if not boosted. Good evidence that a booster provides much more protection against omicron. 2 doses better than 1 dose better than no doses, but the big leap in immunity is the booster. Natural immunity post infection is a lottery as we know well, it may help, but it may provide nothing at all.

It will be interesting to compare UK and US with very different booster levels

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Only if not boosted. Good evidence that a booster provides much more protection against omicron. 2 doses better than 1 dose better than no doses, but the big leap in immunity is the booster. Natural immunity post infection is a lottery as we know well, it may help, but it may provide nothing at all.

It will be interesting to compare UK and US with very different booster levels
I wonder if CDC will break out the data on that site to include boosted - right now it's just fully vaxxed vs non-vaxxed. But they do break out the 3 vax options.
Sponsored