Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Yes, 13 days.
Not sure how you guys do it in the US but I received a call from the health department within 24 hours of my daughter testing positive.
That same day a delivery arrived at our door from the local hospital, included was a fact sheet of sorts, useful contacts etc. along with an oxygen/heart rate monitor to be used several times daily.
Each case is given an identification number.
Once you have been given a case number, any ambulance use is free, no questions asked.
My wife has no sick-leave left as a result of previous school closures, so the government is paying ~75% of her normal pay for as long as we need to be quarantined,

I’m very happy with the support that’s on offer.
I wonder if one of your children was asymptomatic but contagious and effectively split the 13 days. As in they caught it from the first case, showed no signs (as is often the case with children) and then passed it on themselves. It would then look like 13 days but would in fact be two lots of 6 days ?
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
EV Fire Extinguisher Pumps Water Straight Into the Batteries (msn.com)

Hello; An idea might be to require a port be built into the EV so a hose can be quickly attached to get water or whatever becomes the EV fire fighting chemical of choice.

Might be an after market opportunity for some one to invent a product to sell to consumers. Maybe when you are charging the car in your garage you can attach a hose to the car and and an APP can sense an overheating and flood the battery with water or foam or some such?
Wow

You just pop up with a post like this after all the rubbish you posted and failed to respond to yesterday. There are many outstanding questions and posts that you need to respond too if you want to be taken seriously.

Otherwise don't waste your time posting

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Here are a couple of thoughts about EV's. If i do wind up having to get one I will wait as long as possible. The main reason being they are a high tech product similar to a computer or cell phone.

My neighbor has an early Ford hybrid. Not sure of the year. Thing is the regenerative braking system is failing. She has had it in to dealers but they cannot fix it according to her. Reason being the parts are not available. I guess the tech has moved on for hybrid systems same as it does for computers and cell phones.
I will be calling my cell phone company today to activate a new phone. My current phone is fine but it is a 3G. They told me I need to replace before the end of the year. I went ahead and got a new one when I found one in stock. Thing is, for me, I do not use the "smart" features on a cell phone. I make phone calls and I text. I had hoped to be able to keep using my current phone as I do not need the extra "G" capacity.

So a question looms. Say you keep an EV ten years or more. Some hybrids are over ten years old now. Will they be orphaned in terms of the tech like my cell phones? Will they be hard or impossible to find parts for? Computer platforms change every few years. I have had to junk a few computers since the first one I owned. Some still worked fine but were outdated for one reason or another. I will now have two old cell phones in a drawer. Not because they failed, but because the carriers have new tech requirements.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Wow

You just pop up with a post like this after all the rubbish you posted and failed to respond to yesterday. There are many outstanding questions and posts that you need to respond too if you want to be taken seriously.

Otherwise don't waste your time posting
Hello; Thing is you do not make the rules. I do not answer to you. I will not allow you to set standards for my posts.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Hello; Here are a couple of thoughts about EV's. If i do wind up having to get one I will wait as long as possible. The main reason being they are a high tech product similar to a computer or cell phone.

My neighbor has an early Ford hybrid. Not sure of the year. Thing is the regenerative braking system is failing. She has had it in to dealers but they cannot fix it according to her. Reason being the parts are not available. I guess the tech has moved on for hybrid systems same as it does for computers and cell phones.
I will be calling my cell phone company today to activate a new phone. My current phone is fine but it is a 3G. They told me I need to replace before the end of the year. I went ahead and got a new one when I found one in stock. Thing is, for me, I do not use the "smart" features on a cell phone. I make phone calls and I text. I had hoped to be able to keep using my current phone as I do not need the extra "G" capacity.

So a question looms. Say you keep an EV ten years or more. Some hybrids are over ten years old now. Will they be orphaned in terms of the tech like my cell phones? Will they be hard or impossible to find parts for? Computer platforms change every few years. I have had to junk a few computers since the first one I owned. Some still worked fine but were outdated for one reason or another. I will now have two old cell phones in a drawer. Not because they failed, but because the carriers have new tech requirements.
Did ya ever stop and think that maybe she can't get the parts is because there is a global pandemic and things are hard or impossible to get right now? Hundreds of container ships bobbing like so many apples in the Pacific waiting to be unloaded?

There are plenty of 2020 ICE vehicles waiting for parts too. What does that mean in your world?

Finally, do you really think you will live long enough to: A - Be forced into buying an EV, and B - Live long enough to drive it past it's mechanical life?

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Did ya ever stop and think that maybe she can't get the parts is because there is a global pandemic and things are hard or impossible to get right now? Hundreds of container ships bobbing like so many apples in the Pacific waiting to be unloaded?

There are plenty of 2020 ICE vehicles waiting for parts too. What does that mean in your world?

Finally, do you really think you will live long enough to: A - Be forced into buying an EV, and B - Live long enough to drive it past it's mechanical life?
Hello; The neighbor was having the issue before the current supply crunch issues. The way I understand her is the dealers cannot get the parts from Ford at all. That they tell her the OEM parts are gone is the way I understand it. Maybe it is like the last CRT TV I owned. It was a great HD TV for a few years. When it failed I took it to a good repair place. There was a circuit board that had failed so often there simply were no more to be found. All the extras had been used up before my TV failed.

I plan to live forever.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)

He just makes up his silly stories to try to make a point. Car makers usually provide parts support for 10 years (assuming they still exist) but some go for much longer. This has nothing to do with being an EV and is nothing new, purely down to economics of keeping stock for old cars that hardly anybody needs any more. Clearly not related to the phone industry! There are many reasons 3G is being turned off, as there were for the old analogue transmitters, as there were for telegrams, faxes and all sorts of old tech. The main one being hardly anybody uses them now.

Is Jeff from TN going to pay for all these spare parts and old systems - you bet he ain't

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
He just makes up his silly stories to try to make a point. Car makers usually provide parts support for 10 years (assuming they still exist) but some go for much longer. This has nothing to do with being an EV and is nothing new, purely down to economics of keeping stock for old cars that hardly anybody needs any more. Clearly not related to the phone industry! There are many reasons 3G is being turned off, as there were for the old analogue transmitters, as there were for telegrams, faxes and all sorts of old tech. The main one being hardly anybody uses them now.

Is Jeff from TN going to pay for all these spare parts and old systems - you bet he ain't

Yeah, parts_is_parts, so to speak. A regen brake system has ICs, wiring harnesses, etc., not unlike every other vehicle on the road. And it's not like vehicles becoming very complex is something unique to EVs. My SILs X1 isn't an EV but it's got on-the-fly transmission decoupling (for efficient coasting), and even does some kind of battery charging by "regen" vs. using the alternator. They're not car people but I drove it on a recent trip to visit them (it's actually a pretty fun little SUV ...), and was immediately wondering about the "charging and efficiency" indicators (and it coasts super fast on the hilly backroads in PA)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Hello; Thought you planed to ignore me? Oh well. You missed the point I think. It is one thing for the tech in a cell phone or computer to become outdated. Quite another for something as expensive as an automobile.
The neighbor Is a college student on a tight budget. When I first heard her brakes were giving trouble I offered to help fix them. I have done lots of brake repair. But I cannot fix that regenerative brake system.
The point is many of us keep vehicles far longer than ten years. If my notion is correct having a ten year old EV, hybrid or plug in hybrid will be similar to having a ten year old computer.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Thing is you do not make the rules. I do not answer to you. I will not allow you to set standards for my posts.
It doesn't have anything to do with someone setting standards, it is a matter of having reasoned, adult conversation - which you are incapable of.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; The neighbor was having the issue before the current supply crunch issues. The way I understand her is the dealers cannot get the parts from Ford at all. That they tell her the OEM parts are gone is the way I understand it. Maybe it is like the last CRT TV I owned. It was a great HD TV for a few years. When it failed I took it to a good repair place. There was a circuit board that had failed so often there simply were no more to be found. All the extras had been used up before my TV failed.

I plan to live forever.
What year and model?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hello; Thought you planed to ignore me? Oh well. You missed the point I think. It is one thing for the tech in a cell phone or computer to become outdated. Quite another for something as expensive as an automobile.
The neighbor Is a college student on a tight budget. When I first heard her brakes were giving trouble I offered to help fix them. I have done lots of brake repair. But I cannot fix that regenerative brake system.
The point is many of us keep vehicles far longer than ten years. If my notion is correct having a ten year old EV, hybrid or plug in hybrid will be similar to having a ten year old computer.
So you're using this example as a framing device for your own concerns, the latter being the following scenario:

Several years from now, you buy a new car, and at this point in the future, the only new car offerings are EVs.

You begrudgingly purchase this shiny new EV from Evil Corp - that at this point, probably has 450 mile range and costs $25K - but that aside, you buy it, say goodbye to your last ICE vehicle.

Then, you keep this new EV for over 10 years, and at some point after that, some part breaks - and in this future world of 15-25+ years from now, where all the new cars sold - in the millions - are EVs, the manufacturer can't supply you with a new headlight.

Gotcha.
Sponsored