Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Hybrid Battery Replacement: When Can You Expect It? - Autotrader

“Some drivers experience failure at 70,000 miles, while others can make it to 200,000 miles without issue.”

“In our experience, hybrid batteries start to become a risk when they’re 10 to 15 years old and they’ve covered 120,000 to 150,000 miles. Yes, some owners will do a lot better than that. There are reports of batteries lasting well into the 200,000-mile range. But we wouldn’t suggest counting on those reports as the norm, especially if you’re considering a used hybrid and you’re on a budget.”

“Your first option is, of course, to simply purchase a new battery. In our experience, this can cost around $2,500 plus labor and taxes, though it’s more expensive in some models. Do this and you’ll likely get a decade or more out of your new battery.”

how often do EV battery packs fail? - Bing

“Electric vehicle batteries typically must be replaced every seven to 10 years for smaller vehicles and three to four for larger ones, such as buses and vans. Declining performance for an electric vehicle battery is evidenced by fewer miles of driving per charge and more frequent plug-ins by owners.”

How Long Should An Electric Car’s Battery Last? (myev.com)

“To be sure, replacing an electric vehicle’s battery is an expensive proposition. For example, a new battery pack for a Chevrolet Bolt EV is reportedly priced well in excess of $15,000, and that’s not including the cost of labor.”

“However, while an electric car’s battery pack will eventually lose its ability to hold a full charge, rest assured that it’s not likely to fail altogether, but rather lose its capacity gradually over time." “

“Be aware, however, that some automakers only cover the battery pack against a complete loss of its ability to hold a charge, which would be extremely rare. Others, including BMW, Chevrolet, Nissan, Tesla (Model 3) and Volkswagen will replace the pack if it falls to a specified capacity percentage while under warranty, which is usually 60-70 percent.”

“electric cars kept in the hottest climates can be expected to lose battery capacity a bit quicker than those living in more temperate areas. Extreme heat is the enemy of lithium-ion chemistry, which is why many electric cars come with liquid-cooled battery packs. Also, older electric cars having relatively short operating ranges may suffer quicker deterioration. That’s because draining most or all of a battery’s charge on a regular basis tends to cut into its capacity more quickly over time. That’s far less of an issue with today’s longer-range models that are typically driven for a fraction of their available capacity on a daily basis and are merely “topped off” at night.”

“Excessive use of public Level 3 DC Fast Charging stations (they can bring an EV up to 80 percent of its capacity in as little as 30 minutes) can also take a toll on a battery’s long-term performance. That’s because the faster an electric car is charged, the hotter it becomes and, again, that’s not battery friendly. However, a study conducted by the Idaho National Laboratory concluded that the effect isn’t particularly pronounced. The INL tested two pairs of identical 2012 Nissan Leaf models, with one set using 240-volt Level 2 home charging and the other exclusively relying on DC Fast Charging public units. After each was driven 50,000 miles, the difference between the Level 2 and Level 3 vehicles’ diminished battery capacities amounted to just four percent.”

“The bottom line here is that if it’s properly cared for, an electric car’s battery pack should last for well in excess of 100,000 miles before its range becomes restricted. “

Hello; I did two searches. how long will hybrid and how long EV batteries last. Found several links. Here are three. The $15K+ for a Bolt EV was a shock.
For me personally there will not be a lot of miles put on a vehicle. Likely less than 10,000 miles a year. So time will be the bigger deal. After the warranty period I will be on the hook if I am one who has a battery pack fail at 70,000 miles.

I very likely charge at home most of the time. My bigger issue will be range. I am 60 miles from the closest big town, Knoxville TN. I usually go to several places when I travel in the city, so easy 200 miles. I have done as much as 300 in a trip if I go to outlying places. To be comfortable an EV will need to go 300+ miles even in winter with heat, wipers, lights and radio on.
I'd wager, just like a Mustang, you will never own an EV.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

There's always a downpayment on a new C8 Z06. A buddy of mine said his dealer (very large Chevy dealer in the Southeast) will place you on a waiting list for a $5K non-refundable, and a signed agreement to pay "at least" $50K ADM.

At least ... :cwl:

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I thought Knoxville would have some chargers available while one is shopping or eating lunch. Guess not. Oh well

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I thought Knoxville would have some chargers available while one is shopping or eating lunch. Guess not. Oh well
Hello; Knoxville may have lots of charging stations for all I know by now. I can do a search if the need arises. I did do a search a while back and there were some but not many. So far the places I do visit have not had any.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
So your "answers" are pretty much rando articles meant to support your anti-EV position. Gotcha.

BTW, that article is from 2019, with the introduction of tech like heat pumps (heating being a major power consumer), the cold weather efficiency is significantly better.
There's always a downpayment on a new C8 Z06. A buddy of mine said his dealer (very large Chevy dealer in the Southeast) will place you on a waiting list for a $5K non-refundable, and a signed agreement to pay "at least" $50K ADM.

At least ... :cwl:
Hello; I must be striking some nerves to get replies like these. I will take it to mean the things I write and the links I find are correct even if unpopular. 2019 is not ancient time even for modern tech. I get tech moves on and leaves things obsolete. I have had computers which still worked fine become out of date. I have to get a new phone soon because 3G is now out of date.

Not sure what my owning a Mustang has to do with any of this. I made an offer on an older one yesterday. The seller wants a bit more than I am willing to spend for now.

I have a practice of checking things out before I buy whether it be cars or lawn mowers. I may be forced into an EV if I live long enough and things continue as they have been going. To buy one before that time I will want to find some answers. Looks like only positive comments about EV's are acceptable by some here. Such is alright as it has been the pattern for other subjects on here. Too bad the tech which is supposed to take over in nine years cannot have the rough parts discussed. If I am to pay extra for that tech in order to have benefits for the environment, I want to know what the cost may be and how effective the benefit for the environment may be.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like only positive comments about EV's are acceptable by some here.
No, there are plenty of potential issues with EV ownership.
I can’t speak for others, but for me, I want your objections to be based on facts, not opinions and clearly flawed studies.
If you want to continue to cite studies with egregious flaws in them, that’s up to you.
We however, don’t have to take you seriously if you persist in doing so,

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
No, there are plenty of potential issues with EV ownership.
I can’t speak for others, but for me, I want your objections to be based on facts, not opinions and clearly flawed studies.
If you want to continue to cite studies with egregious flaws in them, that’s up to you.
We however, don’t have to take you seriously if you persist in doing so,
Hello; What are the egregious flaws. That an EV's battery packs can need replacing at as soon as 70,000 miles? That the battery packs are expensive, at least to me 15 grand is costly for the Bolt pack. That even with generous money from governments an EV is still more expensive than a typical ICE of a similar type. That you claim something is flawed does not make it so. Some of us know better.
The bigger issue is just how much save the environment will be part of the EV push. I have a pretty good grasp on the use of an EV but not so much on how much environmental bang for the buck there may be.
But your response is typical. Be critical of the links and any information I can find. I write detailed posts with links to back my comments and somehow anything I come up with must be flawed. I do not respond to some question which I have already addressed many times and I am hiding. Seen it all before many times.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; What are the egregious flaws. That an EV's battery packs can need replacing at as soon as 70,000 miles? That the battery packs are expensive, at least to me 15 grand is costly for the Bolt pack. That even with generous money from governments an EV is still more expensive than a typical ICE of a similar type. That you claim something is flawed does not make it so. Some of us know better.
The bigger issue is just how much save the environment will be part of the EV push. I have a pretty good grasp on the use of an EV but not so much on how much environmental bang for the buck there may be.
But your response is typical. Be critical of the links and any information I can find. I write detailed posts with links to back my comments and somehow anything I come up with must be flawed. I do not respond to some question which I have already addressed many times and I am hiding. Seen it all before many times.
It was YOU who posted a link to a commentary that CLEARLY stated the flaws in the methodology of the study that YOU cited.
You are the most weird person I’ve ever had the displeasure of enduring.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hello; What are the egregious flaws. That an EV's battery packs can need replacing at as soon as 70,000 miles?
That's covered under most warranties and that's an outlier, it rarely occurs. Tesla covers their packs for 8 years / 120K miles (S and X to 150K miles) to sustain at least 70% charge, which certainly covers total failure.

The reason I called you out is because the topic was about TCO, and you veered off into a totally unrelated topic.

You should register for some actual Tesla owner sites, where you know, thousands of owners, are using their cars for 100K miles, in super hot and cold regions, all over the world. I mean, Tesla is moving 250K cars a quarter, there's literally 1M+ cars out there being driven and enjoyed.

You're going through some amazing gyrations, while the rest of the world moves on and buys the shit out of EVs, I mean, check this out:

Thanks to a high number of deliveries in the last month of the quarter, Tesla has achieved unprecedented results in Europe.

The Tesla Model 3 has become not only the best-selling electric car, but the best-selling car overall for the month of September 2021 with about 24,512 registrations and 2.6% market share.

Not only that, for the first time a model manufactured outside of Europe is the best-selling car, which sounds like another warning signal for the local automotive industry.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
There are hundreds if not thousands of YouTube videos of EV reviews by actual users showing the good and the bad in all kinds of situations and conditions. Up to the watcher to conclude if an EV is for them or not.
Yeah, it's not even that complicated of a decision, and JFC, try it, if it doesn't pan out, sell it, move on!

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Hello; I must be striking some nerves to get replies like these. I will take it to mean the things I write and the links I find are correct even if unpopular.
There you go again. The things you write are opinionated nonsense and the articles you reference (and cut and paste from) are also mostly meaningless opinion pieces.

...over...and over...and over...and over...

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's covered under most warranties and that's an outlier, it rarely occurs. Tesla covers their packs for 8 years / 120K miles (S and X to 150K miles) to sustain at least 70% charge, which certainly covers total failure.

The reason I called you out is because the topic was about TCO, and you veered off into a totally unrelated topic.

You should register for some actual Tesla owner sites, where you know, thousands of owners, are using their cars for 100K miles, in super hot and cold regions, all over the world. I mean, Tesla is moving 250K cars a quarter, there's literally 1M+ cars out there being driven and enjoyed.

You're going through some amazing gyrations, while the rest of the world moves on and buys the shit out of EVs, I mean, check this out:
I wonder if results like these might explain why shitty/biased studies are being produced by groups with an obvious agenda?