Sponsored

Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The only time I've ridden in an EV (not hybrid) was taking a taxi to Arlanda Airport in Stockholm. It was a Tesla. Not sure what it is, but it would appear that there is a cure for freezing batteries, as Tesla has been a large part of the Taxi fleet in Sweden for a while and has an equally huge private customer base there and in Norway (enormous tax breaks).

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
For those who suggest PHEV's never get plugged in. Here is some data from Ford about the Kuga (Explorer) PHEV usage in Europe for the first half of this year. Pretty much half electric driving. For that one vehicle alone that is a huge CO2 saving, especially as in Europe a large proportion of electricity is from renewables, so not just displacement of CO2 production.

1628184503797.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A few things.

1. Instead of reading media reports that may or not accurately express the views of the researchers, why don’t you look at the actual research?

2. Crying wolf? Everything the scientist’s have predicted so far has been happening.
Which part of the memo did you miss?

3. Here’s the abstract of the study they’re referencing.
You‘d need a subscription to Nature to get the full article.

Oh, it’s been peer-reviewed too, so I‘d suggest that if you have anything you’d like to challenge the authors on, I suggest you get busy letting them know what the problems are.

“The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), a major ocean current system transporting warm surface waters toward the northern Atlantic, has been suggested to exhibit two distinct modes of operation. A collapse from the currently attained strong to the weak mode would have severe impacts on the global climate system and further multi-stable Earth system components. Observations and recently suggested fingerprints of AMOC variability indicate a gradual weakening during the last decades, but estimates of the critical transition point remain uncertain. Here, a robust and general early-warning indicator for forthcoming critical transitions is introduced. Significant early-warning signals are found in eight independent AMOC indices, based on observational sea-surface temperature and salinity data from across the Atlantic Ocean basin. These results reveal spatially consistent empirical evidence that, in the course of the last century, the AMOC may have evolved from relatively stable conditions to a point close to a critical transition.”

4. Do you think the link you shared accurately reflects what the studies authors were trying to say?
I don’t think it did to be honest.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I do not live in California. Back many pages I posted about T. Boone Pickens. I think it was in the early 2000's he had some hydrogen generators prototypes built. I think for around under 2 grand anyone with water and electricity could have a H fueling setup. He had one in a home. Of course I think that was for the ICE H engines which are much less effecient.

The price is high for the Mirai. I wonder if the long term use issues have been solved?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
For those who suggest PHEV's never get plugged in.
About 90% of our PHEV operation is on battery, it stays charged, ready to go, love some home charging :D Occasionally when the engine fires up, I'm like "WTH??" 🤣

Also this ...

• It's fast as hell [...]
WOTS is the 11.x software implements another notable power bump - specifically for P3Ds - and drops the 0-60 to "under 3s", with some folks suggesting the 2.8-2.9 area.

!__woot__!

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Here we go, crying wolf again.......
No kidding. The money shot:

Researchers who study ancient climate change have also uncovered evidence that the AMOC can turn off abruptly, causing wild temperature swings and other dramatic shifts in global weather system
So before there was man? Let alone evil, shameful post-industrial revolution man?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
No kidding. The money shot:

Researchers who study ancient climate change have also uncovered evidence that the AMOC can turn off abruptly, causing wild temperature swings and other dramatic shifts in global weather system

So before there was man?
Why not go and read the actual scientific paper itself rather than taking a journalists over-simplification at face value? Is it really THAT difficult for you?

You people regard yourselves as freethinkers and sceptics but the reality is, you don’t even have enough scepticism to go and check out whether the claims being made by a journalist are even correct.

You’re a bunch of hacks at absolute best.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
"While the respective relevance of the different factors has to be further investigated, they’re all linked to human-caused climate change."

The above is from the actual paper.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
"While the respective relevance of the different factors has to be further investigated, they’re all linked to human-caused climate change."

The above is from the actual paper.
Now show us the context of that comment.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty self-explanatory.

37C1137C-9359-408F-BF55-AC5B82D0B64D.jpeg
Sponsored