Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Not to belittle the current situation, but imagine what a shitshow a truly lethal virus bug will bring.....
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I pulled a few examples from the included link. There is a lot more info in the link.

Worldometer - real time world statistics (worldometers.info)

6,207,605People who died of hunger this year

853,470,403Undernourished people in the world

789,878,986People with no access to a safe drinking water source

467,411Deaths caused by water related diseases this year

7,205,508Communicable disease deaths this year

23,665,728 Abortions this year

2,774,730 Deaths caused by smoking this year

1,388,243Deaths caused by alcohol this year

273,618Seasonal flu deaths this year (note my comment- This is with a well established vaccine regimen of decades and lot and lots who are naturally immune.)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
In all honesty we need to thin the herd. If this virus doesn’t another one will. Happens in wildlife all the time and in history. You can’t save everyone. Let it do its thing and move on.
Hello; At a point in my undergrad and graduate student time I studied population dynamics. Since then I have kept up with it. I happen to think the human population is past the carrying capacity of the world in many places and on the edge in others.
We are much too densely populated and can travel so very quickly and far. We are encroaching into former wild areas and coming into contact with animals who carry disease pathogens we are strangers to. The animals at some time in the past had their own outbreaks with these pathogens and very likely many died off, with the survivors having come to terms with the pathogens.
On top of this we have labs around the world working with many of these pathogens. Most likely trying to find cures, but it seems, some trying to make them more lethal to people.

I keep trying to bring this up, that there are things much worse than warming and covid going on around us.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Sweden did not lock down. They have the same infection rate as the rest of the world. The lockdowns did nothing.

Listening to the news, health care providers are the most reluctant to get the vaccine. Why is that?
Sweden has the same population density as the state of New Hampshire and their infection rate is almost half of what Sweden is.

They probably don't want it because they were first in line to get it so there was a big push but many people were burnt out from all of the bullshit (hospital administration, patients, long hours without pay). It doesn't surprise me at all that they would do that. Its not really hard to understand why I would be the exact same. I have friends from the Army that are reluctant to get it because we had a similar situation when I was in.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
IE Sweden.

This is not the bubonic plague.

And if you expect a vaccine for every new virus you are going to be locked down forever.
Sweden: 108 cases per 1000 people
USA: 105
UK: 81
Canada: 37
Australia: 1
Sweden did not lock down. They have the same infection rate as the rest of the world. The lockdowns did nothing.

Listening to the news, health care providers are the most reluctant to get the vaccine. Why is that?
See above.
I recall you saying that you were a “freethinker”, yet here you are repeating absolute rubbish with what appears to be almost zero research.
Is it possible that you’re just repeating the talking points you heard on the TV/radio etc without even questioning it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; At a point in my undergrad and graduate student time I studied population dynamics. Since then I have kept up with it. I happen to think the human population is past the carrying capacity of the world in many places and on the edge in others.
We are much too densely populated and can travel so very quickly and far. We are encroaching into former wild areas and coming into contact with animals who carry disease pathogens we are strangers to. The animals at some time in the past had their own outbreaks with these pathogens and very likely many died off, with the survivors having come to terms with the pathogens.
On top of this we have labs around the world working with many of these pathogens. Most likely trying to find cures, but it seems, some trying to make them more lethal to people.

I keep trying to bring this up, that there are things much worse than warming and covid going on around us.
For once, I agree with almost everything you wrote.
This is a very strange place to be.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

I also agree...but then are we to just ignore or discount the facts and science of other dire things that need our attention? Let's all agree that Covid and global warming are real and then we can get to prioritizing.

We have much more in common than you think.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Not to belittle the current situation, but imagine what a shitshow a truly lethal virus bug will bring.....
Indeed. Smart people are watching what is happening and learning a great deal about all manner of things.

The future ain't so bright kids.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Hello; I will allow K4fxd to speak for himself on this. I do think I get the point. Every day we allow a risk of death or harm as a part of normal life. We have traffic accident injury and death. We could have speed limits at around 10 mph and vehicles built like tanks or NASCAR with roll cages and racing harness. We could allow only necessary for survival travel. We could wrap all posts and trees with thick coverings or cut down all trees within two hundred feet of all roads. We do not do these things.
We have over time come to a sort of acceptable loss balance between safety measures and use of vehicles. Society has made the deal to have a level of death and injury in the area of travel.

We seem to have done the same for other illnesses. The flu kills a number of folks most seasons. So far less that Covid it seems, but at some level. Is it that when covid is at the same traditional levels as flu then all the masks, lockdowns and vaccine shaming will stop?

Even with the elderly such as myself included the death rate from covid is very low. If you remove the elderly from the mix then covid is not a big risk to those younger. Sure a death is a bad deal for the individual and hurts friends and love ones. Here is something that was on a TV show recently. Among the elderly the average age of those dying from/with covid was older than the average age at death for their age group. I am already older than the average man myself. I have some risks which could take me out any day. I could be infected with a number of not so lethal diseases and just die. I could just die for being my age and it would be considered a natural thing.

I do not know if those who are blasting K4fxd are crying crocodile tears or are just making posts to be getting a dig in or are being serious. I do think I may get a possible point. The economic damage from the lockdowns, the massive increase in national debt, the loss of a huge number of small businesses, the missed medical appointments, and the like very likely will wind up being worse than the virus itself. I do mean to include that people are going to die and have died from these things, it is not just money. The economy is a the structure which allows us to make a living. The make a living bit is not just about money, in actually is about being able to live.

If K4fxd has something else or additional in mind I am sure he will make a case. I am tempted to search for disease or conditions such as smoking and drinking to see how they stack up against covid. Maybe later. If I do look such up I will ask the question if a shutdown of the economy ought be considered. Maybe ban tobacco? Maybe ban alcohol? I know a few who will balk at the alcohol bit.
Well smoking and alcohol are not contagious!

I have highlighted above - you also seem to be unconcerned about the deaths, burden on the health service from the many that don't die but spend weeks or months in hospital never mind those with long COVID. You have made your position very clear. Yes there are costs to a lockdown, but the cost of not locking down when there was no vaccine would have been much greater. You don't have to look too far to see what happens without proper controls in places like Brazil where the right wing president spends most of his time denying the existence of the disease whilst his population gets ill and dies. And still it goes on, but hey don't worry cos the economy will be fine, only it isn't because people are too busy digging graves to care.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)

Sweden is very different with low population density and it DID apply restrictions on mixing of people etc so it didn't just let rip.

How do you explain the UK case figures that declined after each lockdown and then increased as restrictions were lifted. Surely even you can work that one out ?

'Healthcare providers are the most reluctant to get the vaccine' - as usual a bold statement from you, but once again you need to come up with some facts to back it up. Certainly isn't true in the UK. Maybe in the hick town you live in, but as we know vaccine uptake is pretty poor in right wing states in the US

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Sweden: 108 cases per 1000 people
USA: 105
UK: 81
Canada: 37
Australia: 1

See above.
I recall you saying that you were a “freethinker”, yet here you are repeating absolute rubbish with what appears to be almost zero research.
Is it possible that you’re just repeating the talking points you heard on the TV/radio etc without even questioning it?
Oh there you go posting facts again. When will you learn opinion based on TV shows is far more reliable :crazy:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Indeed. Smart people are watching what is happening and learning a great deal about all manner of things.

The future ain't so bright kids.
In the UK we are being encouraged to take responsibility for our actions, but I am a bit concerned that some are not quite ready for this level of responsibility?

1626988287216.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Healthcare providers are the most reluctant to get the vaccine' - as usual a bold statement from you, but once again you need to come up with some facts to back it up.
You conveniently left out the part of my statement where I said I got the information.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
You conveniently left out the part of my statement where I said I got the information.
Erm - 'listening to the news'. Fox news I presume, or was it play school ?

If it was on the news it should be pretty easy to find the source of the data. Come on lets see if we can get there. What channel on the TV and where was the data for ?
Sponsored