Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
A modern electric grid is crucial to reach our clean energy climate goals (msn.com)
Hello; This link is a bit hard to define. Starts out talking about how new electric infrastructure must be built to carry electricity from where it can be generated by "green" sources to remote places that need it. That part is correct. There are lots of places far away from a green energy source. At first I thought it would be a story about only the cost of the project.
Turns out it has up to three, maybe more angles. One is that part of the new high tension power lines will go thru a forest. I guess most have seen the wide swaths cut thru the trees to allow these power lines. So the second thing after cost is there is a push back about cutting down a large swath of forest. The forest is special to a lot of folks.

The next layer is that the power generated from a dam is in another country. Not clear what the issues are with this. I know it is sometimes difficult to deal with companies and political entities that are local, much less in another country. Countries do not always get along. I wonder what might happen if the political wind changes some day.

The last bit seems to be there are state and local political bodies and populations trying to stop the forest cutting. Some seems to have to do with environmental concerns of the clear cut swath. I think there may be a money issue not mentioned in the article but which has been on the news.
The article ends with the author calling for more federal power to override local folks.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hereā€˜s a paper from your mateā€¦
See if you can spot the flaws in his analysis.
Even I can find a few and Iā€™m not an expertā€¦
Maybe the experts know some things that he doesnā€™t, which might explain why his work hasnā€™t passed the peer review process.

https://cseg.ca/assets/files/resour...ng_Concentration_of_CO2_in_the_Atmosphere.pdf
Hello; I did a quick read of the link. I'll bite. What are the flaws?

The article reminded me of a demonstration I used in a physical science lab if a school had the equipment. It was also equipment I had used in my graduate student days. It was essentially a modified neon light set up. A high voltage generator with some conduction clips that could hold long thin vacuum tubes. A set of tubes filled with a few different pure gases. Hydrogen, helium, oxygen. argon and some others.
Put the tube in the clips and turn on the generator. The high voltage will excite the atoms of the gas and each will emit a distinct color. The quantum theory behind the colors went with the demo. That idea was, 20 years ago, that in as unexcited state a gas will not be shedding energy. All the electrons are running around in the stable orbits.
When you force energy into the atoms it will cause the atom electrons to jump up to a higher energy orbit. But the electron will not stay at that energy level, so it sheds the extra energy as an EM (electromagnetic) radiation. Thing was the frequency of the shed energy was in a very specific and very narrow range. The energy at a specific narrow frequency range could be light we see as color if it happened to fall into the visual spectrum our eyes can detect.

So why did a particular gas always emit a specific color of light? The idea was the energy the electron would shed when it jumped back down to a lower energy orbit in the atom was in very distinct packets. Always the same exact packet of energy. The distinct packets of energy were called quanta if memory serves. Forget who coined the name just now.

I do not know which color the O-C-O molecule will shed of if we can see it. I do know pure oxygen has a color but cannot recall just what it is. Best I can recall is it was not a brite one like neon red.

One other thing you can do with the light from the tubes is have a circular table with the 360 degrees of a circle divided very finely. Have a prism at the exact center and shine a narrow beam of the light thru the prism. The prism will turn the light at an angle. Turns out each frequency of the lights turns at a different angle. Best I can recall Hydrogen had two distinct peaks within its narrow range (maybe isotopes?) This is why you get the rainbow effect out of a prism. The raw light of our sun is composed of the emitted colors of all the excited atoms.
The working theory is we can feed the light given off by a distant star thru a prism setup and figure what atoms are in the star.

Of course the bit I just wrote may not be the same as what the author was trying to describe about CO2 absorbing thermal energy, but this is what came to mind.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Biden's climate agenda has to start with reducing emission from homes (msn.com)

Quote from the article
"That is, as long as the money is distributed efficiently."

Hello; This is a follow the money link. It is about retrofitting existing homes. New heat pumps, insulation, sealing and such. Done some of this already myself. Apparently there will be a spending program of some sort at a federal level.

I picked the above quote with the sting still fresh from the news of the theft of maybe 400 billion dollars ( $400, 000,000,000 is this correct?) of unemployment money from the recent bill passed to aid Americans laid off during the lockdowns. It would be bad enough if American crooks had taken the money, but early reports are the thieves are in China and Russia.

I'll bet the loss of this money will not slow down additional spending. Seems to me some safeguards ought to be in place before any more money is spent. Make sure it goes to where and to whom it is intended.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I picked the above quote with the sting still fresh from the news of the theft of maybe 400 billion dollars ( $400, 000,000,000 is this correct?) of unemployment money from the recent bill passed to aid Americans laid off during the lockdowns. It would be bad enough if American crooks had taken the money, but early reports are the thieves are in China and Russia.
Jokes on them. US money will be worthless before they could spend much of it.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
South Dakota rocked again as a wind turbine plant shuts its doors (msn.com)

Hello; A company making wind turbine blades in SD is closing down soon. Something to do with tax structure and lower cost foreign competition. I guess you can imagine my take about this. Not a good sign for those "green" jobs would be one take.

I can recall when I could buy a TV made in my own country. Are there any made here now?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
One swore they were leaving, then proceeded to post more than ever.

So logically................ If you don't see any posts, it follows that they are more active than ever.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-5-electric-vehicle-owners-164149467.html

• Roughly 20% of electric vehicle owners in California replaced their cars with gas ones, a recent study shows.
  • The main reason drivers made the switch was the inconvenience of charging.

In roughly three minutes, you can fill the gas tank of a Ford Mustang and have enough range to go about 300 miles with its V8 engine.

But for the electric Mustang Mach-E, an hour plugged into a household outlet gave Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan just three miles of range.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
But for the electric Mustang Mach-E, an hour plugged into a household outlet gave Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan just three miles of range.
I may be partially to blame. Was in a focus group and one question by Ford was how far you would like to drive in a Mach-E.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I may be partially to blame. Was in a focus group and one question by Ford was how far you would like to drive in a Mach-E.
was your answer 'to the nearest Ford dealership to get a real Mustang' ?

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
No, you werenā€™t. Not by the literature that was being published in respected journals. You were watching the TV again, werenā€™t you? Lol.

On the bright side, science can change its mind when the evidence changes. Can you?
Science is only valid if its used as an impartial source and not skewed to promote an agenda. Unfortunately that is happening too much causing conflict instead of possible solutions if any are needed. Sometimes its just study groups grabbing for money so the results are tailored to the funders viewpoint.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ll just leave this here for anyone who actually wants to learn something instead of telling us which piece of BS they managed to stumble upon on the internet today.

Also, a quick disclaimer from the publisher for those who may ā€œdisagreeā€ā€¦

D3261C74-95BF-4555-8824-45DD7ADC5F2B.jpeg
Sponsored