Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
Wrong, I said I don't care what other people do. I also don't think you're any authority on the topics of science, medicine, or a woman's body :crackup:

Oh, by the way, you're not alive until you're born, there is no such thing as a soul, there is no god, the universe is a cold uncaring place, and everyone dies alone 🤪

we-are-nihilists-we-believe-in-nothing.jpg
Nihilistic or realistic; just a matter of degrees
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
there is no god,
I hate to be a stickler... but... I can’t ignore this one.
I absolutely agree that various gods are easily proven to not exist. But, to assert that it’s absolutely impossible, rather than highly implausible is kinda wrong and gives you a burden of proof that I really don’t think you could possibly meet.
I don’t believe that unicorns exist, but I also can’t prove that they don’t.

Having said all of that, there’s something quite disturbing about watching people attempt to defend the book that they hold so dear.

Last edited:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
No one really needs to prove there is no god. It’s not highly implausible, but truly impossible.

Does anyone believe the Easter bunny might just exist? Nah.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; There is for sure the water molecule. I point this out because of it's vital role in the ability of life to exist, at least on earth.
We all likely know how vital it is and the many roles it plays. We ourselves are a large percentage water. The foods we depend on need water. It is so often a part of things we depend on either as part of the process of manufacture or just to keep things cool or cool enough. It is fun to play in and on and on and on with the things that could be listed.

Now I am not trying to make a case for a deity, but I have wondered what would be the case if the water molecule did not have one particular property. That property being what happens at one of the phase changes water can undergo. Specifically from liquid to solid. Water freezing into ice. Here is the thing which makes me curious. A thing we take for granted as we are so very use to it.
Most molecules get more dense when they phase from a liquid to a solid. At least I think so. There may be some other molecule which does the same as water, so some one clever out there chime in. But even if the other molecules do become less dense as they phase into a solid state I doubt the importance will come close to how important that fact is for water to us.

Lets say water acted like most of the other molecules. In the winter a pond, lake or even an ocean would freeze solid from the bottom up if it was cold enough. Think about that for a bit. there would not be a layer of less dense ice floating on top of the life sustaining liquid. As temps dropped the ice would become heavy, more dense and sink instead of floating. That one thing would have tossed a spanner into the works of living things long ago.

I have often been curious about that particular outlier. That water does become less dense and float has been a life saver for, well life. Is it just a cosmic happenstance which worked out well in our favor? Not proof of anything, but just something I have thought of.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here you go

gallium - 5.91 (solid) vs 6.095 (liquid)

bismuth - 9.78 (solid) vs 10.05 (liquid)

germanium - 5.323 (solid) vs 5.60 (liquid)

silicon - 2.3290 (solid) vs 2.57 (liquid)

water - 0.917 (solid) vs 0.998 (liquid)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Here you go

gallium - 5.91 (solid) vs 6.095 (liquid)

bismuth - 9.78 (solid) vs 10.05 (liquid)

germanium - 5.323 (solid) vs 5.60 (liquid)

silicon - 2.3290 (solid) vs 2.57 (liquid)

water - 0.917 (solid) vs 0.998 (liquid)
Hello; Should have thought of silicone myself. I might add cooked chocolate pudding to the list. It does skin over on the top first. It does not last long enough for me to know how it progresses to a solid state.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
No one really needs to prove there is no god. It’s not highly implausible, but truly impossible.

Does anyone believe the Easter bunny might just exist? Nah.
However, under certain circumstances if asked it's imperative to answer 'Why yes. Yes I am a God'. Just ask Ray. Had the conversation progressed beyond her breathy episode she may have asked him to prove it

1619858234052.png

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
flat,750x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Science, both applied and theoretical, has had far more positive an impact on humanity than any organized religion. Science is about seeking truth, reexamining what we've come to think of as true, and constantly striving to understand the nature of our universe. Religion is about controlling truth, and creating a power structure around this control.
Uhhh. No.

First of all religion and science are man made and flawed as hell. Can't blame God for either.

If man has used religion to control truth and create a power structure around that, that's a flaw in man.

And flawed man has used science in the exact same ways and in spades. In principle science is great. Same with God.

But anyone who can't see that "science" is regularly used by flawed men to subdue and control them are as gullible as anyone who fell for what flawed "religious" leaders were pedaling.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Good post. It really doesn't matter whether there is a Christian God or not. Either way it makes sense to live as though there is one.

flat,750x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Science, both applied and theoretical, has had far more positive an impact on humanity than any organized religion. Science is about seeking truth, reexamining what we've come to think of as true, and constantly striving to understand the nature of our universe. Religion is about controlling truth, and creating a power structure around this control.
At first I was going to disagree. However after considering it I agree that technological improvements have done a lot to improve our way of life. Technology and science go hand in hand.

Applied science has definitely had a positive impact. Theoretical - only if it became applied. Theoretical science doesn't do much for people and can really harm society if it is used against us.

Like the climate change BS. Yes, there probably is a slight change, but not enough to be meaningful. There have been no climate models that can accurately predict changes. So that means the theory is half-baked. But the politicians and big corporations are busy using this "theoretical science" to steal our money (i.e. freedom).

What bothers me the most is that some people say they believe in climate change and that the earth is in jeopardy, but they still drive ICE cars, have kids, eat meat - they do all the things that generate CO2 and hence (according to them) will destroy the earth. Not much of a moral compass must be the explanation I guess.

Uhhh. No.

First of all religion and science are man made and flawed as hell. Can't blame God for either.

If man has used religion to control truth and create a power structure around that, that's a flaw in man.

And flawed man has used science in the exact same ways and in spades. In principle science is great. Same with God.

But anyone who can't see that "science" is regularly used by flawed men to subdue and control them are as gullible as anyone who fell for what flawed "religious" leaders were pedaling.
Yes.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uhhh. No.

That's just not true. Science = the search for truth. Religion is the suspension of truth and one must have faith to believe. Science abhors faith by definition.

Nice try though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's just not true. Science = the search for truth. Religion is the suspension of truth and one must have faith to believe. Science abhors faith by definition.

Nice try though.
I agree that science is the search for truth. As such, real scientists welcome new theories and even conflict. That's the entire reason for the word theory. Real scientists believe that theories should continually be questioned and tested.

What is not part of real science is mocking and attacking anyone who questions a theory. That's more what religious zealots do.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree that science is the search for truth. As such, real scientists welcome new theories and even conflict. That's the entire reason for the word theory. Real scientists believe that theories should continually be questioned and tested.

What is not part of real science is mocking and attacking anyone who questions a theory. That's more what religious zealots do.
The mocking happens when people, such as yourself, don't understand the basics of the scientific method presume to tell those that do how science works. Case in point your use of the word theory.

Theory does not mean a speculative guess. In science, it means something much different. A scientific theory is a well established explanation of scientific data that has been repeatedly tested and verified using the scientific method. Scientific theories must be testable and falsifiable. They also must be supported by numerous independent evidence. They can also be used to predict events that have yet to occur.

The novice often equates the term theory to something that can be easily discounted (after all, it isn't proven!) and countered with every screw-ball idea that comes down the pike based on nothing.

A scientific theory isn't a bad thing and should be thought of more in terms of "laws". They are indeed what we use to predict things and we use them as such (like laws) until proved otherwise. The Theory of Relativity works. It has been tested over and over and over. We can actually see it's effects with our own eyes. Time dilation has been tested and is a real thing.

Religion is the antithesis of scientific theory. You must suspend reason to have faith in something.

FAITH is what has destroyed the most and must be eschewed at every chance.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really doesn't matter whether there is a Christian God or not. Either way it makes sense to live as though there is one.
I hate when people say this. I don't need the threat of god or the promise of some sort of heaven to be considered a good person and to 'behave'.

How crass.
Sponsored