Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Thinking we can tackle the green house effect without an economical solution is madness. If something is inefficient Vs an alternative, it consumes more energy Vs that alternative. The only true energy source we have is fossil fuels.
Actually fossil fuels are an energy store. The ONLY energy source is the sun /nuclear and possibly geothermal depending on how far you want to go back.

Clearly there are plenty of very efficient alternatives to burning fossil fuels that are already in place.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
We cannot lower our energy usage while also consuming more energy
That’s a fairly self-explanatory statement. You can change the source of the energy though.
The alternative is consuming less and accepting the lower standard of living.
Is that the ONLY solution?
You seem pretty sure that you‘ve seen all possible futures and ruled out the possibility of any technological advances when you make this statement.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
That’s a fairly self-explanatory statement. You can change the source of the energy though.

You seem pretty sure that you‘ve seen all possible futures and ruled out the possibility of any technological advances when you make this statement.
@BlackandBlue post seems to have vanished but his comment 'The alternative is consuming less and accepting the lower standard of living' is bizarre. Cars consume less fuel than they used too, as a country we use less electricity than we used too and yet I haven't noticed things getting worse.

LED lighting has saved GW of power globally and yet the lights are still on. Standard of living is not directly linked to energy consumption. It may be linked to energy profligacy in some cases!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@BlackandBlue post seems to have vanished but his comment 'The alternative is consuming less and accepting the lower standard of living' is bizarre. Cars consume less fuel than they used too, as a country we use less electricity than we used too and yet I haven't noticed things getting worse.

LED lighting has saved GW of power globally and yet the lights are still on. Standard of living is not directly linked to energy consumption. It may be linked to energy profligacy in some cases!
Seems that all of his posts have disappeared. Not sure what’s happened there.

Edit: Seems that he’s placed limits on who can view his profile. After that last post, I can see why he might do that.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Seems that all of his posts have disappeared. Not sure what’s happened there.

Edit: Seems that he’s placed limits on who can view his profile. After that last post, I can see why he might do that.
May have been banned? On the UK thread banned people just vanish off the thread

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R

Exactly, that statement lies on the premise that there won't be any negative economic consequences with continued increasing use of fossil fuels. I am most familiar with effects in the ocean because I was heavily involved with marine biology. There are more but I do not feel like explaining everything. Ocean acidification and the increasing sea surface temperature negatively affects marine organisms.

Ocean acidification interferes with the formation of calcium carbonate in shellfish, and negatively affects larvae development. Lobsters, oysters, shrimp, crab and squid are huge money makers in the fishing industry. Lobster is a ~$600 million dollar industry in the state of Maine alone, the fishermen are having to go out further and further and there are conflicts because they fish in Canadian waters.

The warming of the ocean affects ectotherms like barnacles and mussels because they cannot regulate their own body temperature, and are exposed to the ocean consistently. There have been multiple massive die offs which have cost millions in damage from lost revenue.

I've seen a comment saying that the quality of life will be sacrificed for reducing fossil fuel use. The quality of life will be dramatically lowered when you have the sections of the fishing industry self implode, and tons of people are now out of jobs. So I don't really understand the pushback in the effort to be more sustainable or that fossils fuels won't cause negative economic consequences.

Last edited:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
As yesterday progressed I felt a little mental fog....more than normal anyway. Seems to be back to normal today, however I now feel a little run down body wise. Must be the metamorphosis or something. The arm I got tetanus shot feels a little weird, shoulder joint is a little loose feeling. Generally my body feels a little fatigued.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
GM's Chevy Bolt recall comes with a huge price tag (msn.com)

Hello; interesting event. At least we get an idea of battery cost. I also am guessing the cost to GM is wholesale and not retail.

( Note- Yes I know gas cars have recalls and fires. A point is like the EV battery fires are harder to put out and in this case the battery recalls are very much more expensive that gas vehicle recalls.

Also I am not jumping on EV's just to get a dig in, all though I am not in the EV camp and may never be. This is a young technology in the sense of having a large number of consumer product out and about. Time of a product helps but in real world use the gremlins show up. Imagine the cost of these recalls if EV's were mainstream.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
"The automaker has urged drivers to not park their cars in garages, or next to homes or other structures."

That's hilarious. Especially if in the midst of a typical MN winter, when overnight temps can get down to -20* F (or worse). "Oh, that's cool. I'll just park it at the end of the driveway and hope the cord reaches it. Sure hope we don't get a foot of snow tonight."

What a folly. I don't see a full on BEV ever working for me because of where I live and where I go.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
"The automaker has urged drivers to not park their cars in garages, or next to homes or other structures."

That's hilarious. Especially if in the midst of a typical MN winter, when overnight temps can get down to -20* F (or worse). "Oh, that's cool. I'll just park it at the end of the driveway and hope the cord reaches it. Sure hope we don't get a foot of snow tonight."

What a folly. I don't see a full on BEV ever working for me because of where I live and where I go.
Hello; I think I could make an EV work much of the time but would have to have a ICE vehicle as well.
I get that my idea will not be considered as the decisions have been made and the changes will be forced onto us. My preference would be to let the clever people around the world have a competition to come up with the cleaner transportation vehicle.
Maybe it would turn out to be the EV, that I do not know. Maybe someone could make a ICE cleaner. Maybe someone would build a practical fuel cell. Thing is with the decisions already baked in none of the other possible things will get much of a look see.

I know the EV champions cannot picture that the overall environmental impact of the EV will not be much better, if any, than some other solutions.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the fun'er part is that you don't dare let a batt pack freeze. So depending how much currrent you're feeding the pack, some of it is being used for the heater to keep it above critical temps. And if the heater can't get it warm enough to even take a charge your "charging" session is entirely worthless.

EV below the Mason-Dixon is probably doable provided you outlaw winter. Above only works in late-spring thru early fall.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Tesla 'big battery' installation in Australia burned for 4 days - spontaneously during a test. Releasing god knows what into the air for the people in town to breath in. And since some moron packed the modules too close, it spread to another unit.
Sponsored