K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Rule #5

5. “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I looked into having a propane/gasoline setup added to a pickup back in 2004. It was not too expensive back then. It turned out I was not putting many miles on the pickup so I never got around to it.
I do recall T. Boone was into natural gas. I think that is how he made some millions. It was his prototype hydrogen generators I am thinking about. ( I hope it was T. Boone) Anyway the idea was that most any homeowner could have a set up to generate Hydrogen and compress it to a liquid state. The setups used electricity to break the H-O-H molecule into H and O gas. I think the cost was around $2,000 back then. So anyone with water and electricity could have a H fuel source.
Back then either Honda or Toyota ( maybe both) had a small car which ran on H as a ICE fuel. ( No, not a fuel cell although the fuel cell was being looked into in those days) The H fuel cars could only be leased at the time and eventually were taken off the market.

The biggest drawback was the cost of electricity to make the H. At the time gasoline prices were on the rise and had they stayed high the idea may have worked out. When gas started to go down the H fuel was not competitive.

The ICE engines did not have to be modified much. Like with propane it was mainly the intake systems that had to be changed to use a a gas. There also had to be a pressure tank to hold the H under high pressure.

I guess the dropping cost of oil killed both the propane and hydrogen fueled vehicles. The hydrogen fuel cells never got to a price point or life span level of being practical as best as I recall. I recall many years ago telling a friend that the low gas prices were going to be a nightmare for some of the environmentalist problem as it would make their alternative fuel ideas too expensive. Turns out they have found a way to push the agenda regardless of the cost and we all know the current story.

Of course one of the problems with the solar/ wind and other such methods of generating electricity is how to store the excess electricity which sometimes will go to waste. Making H is a sound way to store that excess energy long term. It is also transportable and can be used directly as an ICE fuel in generators or vehicles. Including boats. It can be put into a pipeline. It can run the fuel cells if they ever are made practical. You could even build airships using it and replace some transportation that way.

But some how the very immature technology of the EV has somehow taken the front seat right now.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Wow, that BJ guy is really off his nut.

The moderators have not banned me dude. You have me on ignore. That is why I can't see your posts or quote them. Likewise you can't see mine or quote them in the normal way.

Stop stalking me and fantasizing to the photo of my hand....mmmmm-kay?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I looked into having a propane/gasoline setup added to a pickup back in 2004. It was not too expensive back then. It turned out I was not putting many miles on the pickup so I never got around to it.
I do recall T. Boone was into natural gas. I think that is how he made some millions. It was his prototype hydrogen generators I am thinking about. ( I hope it was T. Boone) Anyway the idea was that most any homeowner could have a set up to generate Hydrogen and compress it to a liquid state. The setups used electricity to break the H-O-H molecule into H and O gas. I think the cost was around $2,000 back then. So anyone with water and electricity could have a H fuel source.
Back then either Honda or Toyota ( maybe both) had a small car which ran on H as a ICE fuel. ( No, not a fuel cell although the fuel cell was being looked into in those days) The H fuel cars could only be leased at the time and eventually were taken off the market.

The biggest drawback was the cost of electricity to make the H. At the time gasoline prices were on the rise and had they stayed high the idea may have worked out. When gas started to go down the H fuel was not competitive.

The ICE engines did not have to be modified much. Like with propane it was mainly the intake systems that had to be changed to use a a gas. There also had to be a pressure tank to hold the H under high pressure.

I guess the dropping cost of oil killed both the propane and hydrogen fueled vehicles. The hydrogen fuel cells never got to a price point or life span level of being practical as best as I recall. I recall many years ago telling a friend that the low gas prices were going to be a nightmare for some of the environmentalist problem as it would make their alternative fuel ideas too expensive. Turns out they have found a way to push the agenda regardless of the cost and we all know the current story.

Of course one of the problems with the solar/ wind and other such methods of generating electricity is how to store the excess electricity which sometimes will go to waste. Making H is a sound way to store that excess energy long term. It is also transportable and can be used directly as an ICE fuel in generators or vehicles. Including boats. It can be put into a pipeline. It can run the fuel cells if they ever are made practical. You could even build airships using it and replace some transportation that way.

But some how the very immature technology of the EV has somehow taken the front seat right now.
Remember Betamax vs. VHS?

Anyway, you can't run H in a piston engines. Well, you could, but it would be woefully underpowered. H is not near as energy dense as gasoline and ICE engines are inefficient as hell. Also, when you combust H you get some nasty exhaust - it does not burn clean.

See...your base assumptions are flawed yet again.

Hydrogen fuel cells that generate electricity is where it is at. There will never be a mass produced passenger ICE that runs on H.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Anyway, you can't run H in a piston engines. Well, you could, but it would be woefully underpowered. H is not near as energy dense as gasoline and ICE engines are inefficient as hell. Also, when you combust H you get some nasty exhaust - it does not burn clean.
Wrong again.

Toyota, watch the video.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Wrong again.

Toyota, watch the video.

Hello; Interesting video. Some new to me information. I have a couple of takes. If I were a die hard Hydrogen ICE champion I would likely be much like the die hard EV champions are today. I would try to minimize the bad aspects and praise the good aspects. I did know the H has a fuel density penalty compared to gasoline or diesel same as a battery does. Gasoline is a very much better fuel in many respects. Good energy density. Easy to store and transport. Does not need to be stored under pressure. I was able to fill up the 16 gallon tanks tank in my old 914 and go over 500 miles at over 40 MPG back in the day. My 20 years old Sentra still gets around 34 MPG average overall so will go maybe 374 miles on the 11 gallon tank which I can fill up in a few minutes. Gas engine does make tailpipe emissions.

I guess I have been mistaken in some ways in thinking the ultimate goal currently was doing away with carbon emissions and cost is no object. So with essentially near zero carbon emissions out of an H ICE engine that ought to keep it in the running.

The small amount of carbon emissions is from oil blow by and PCV valve from the crankcase. I do not accept the quart per 3000 miles as a standard. My 20 year old Sentra does not use that much oil in 3000 miles at 133K miles. The hydrogen combustion itself is only water out the tailpipe. So with solar/wind/ hydro and other green electricity the H vehicle ought to be very much cleaner overall. That was the goal, was it not? H fuel cells are twice as efficient as ICE H combustion with water out the tail pipe also.

The really good solution would be for someone to make a practical fuel cell. Been a decade or so since I looked into the state of fuel cells, so I do not know if they are any closer now.

I was a bit surprised at the difficulty mentioned to make the H ICE run in the Toyota. I wonder how that level of difficulty would stack up against the difficulty of making the EVs work. A question I do not have an answer for.

One thing for sure the problem of fueling stations would be a lot easier to solve compared to the EV. Any place with water and electricity could have one. I get the cost of electricity to make H is high, but best I can figure the EV's are going to have a very high demand for electricity also.

Anyway thanks for the video. I can see how the ICE vehicle run on H will have similar levels of problems to the EV. The best thing may be a good practical fuel cell. If wishes were dishes I would never have to wash one again.

Last edited:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrong again.

Toyota, watch the video.
Not really. The video actually proves my point. H fuel cells are twice as efficient and produce zero emissions assuming the H is generated in clean ways. All sorts of other impracticalities of an H ICE.

Cool video though, thanks for posting.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
One of the triplets will come along soon and call it nonsense, attack the source and say I don't understand how things work.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
To be fair he wasn't too far off. Look at him now. Honestly hard to say that he was wrong with the way he looks now 😆

E42IRkPXoAIt-8K.jpg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You are wrong again.

Why is the world so black and white to you?

Must be an awful way to perceive the world.
Whilst we’re doing the topic of science cancellation…
Is it an accepted fact that the vaccines seem to be efficacious in preventing Covid deaths in the US yet, or is there some sort of “alternative facts” surrounding this?

Based on the piece linked below, (partially quoted here), I can see a few alternative interpretations that might arise.

“An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 107,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 1.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

The AP analyzed figures provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC itself has not estimated what percentage of hospitalizations and deaths are in fully vaccinated people, citing limitations in the data.”

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-941fcf43d9731c76c16e7354f5d5e187

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what your question is.

Yes the vaccine works. So does having the virus and recovering.

The vaccine has not been long term tested and as such has many wondering if it is safe, long term. The fact many States have resorted to bribes to get people to get the jab just makes it worse.

Why no million dollar lotteries for the annual flu shot? Polio? Smallpox?..........
Sponsored