School me on CAM-C autocross.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
So, in order to get more "affordable" performance driving times, I'm going to start doing some autocrosses. I love my track days, but I think the autocross avenue will allow me to play a little more with less cash outlay.

I used to autocross, but it was about 11 years ago in an old fox body.

How are people liking it? Anyone "downgrade" from track days to autocross?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I do both, we've met. Black '16 GT here, I think you came to a Spokes event at CotA once or twice a while back.

I like track days, but yes they're kind of expensive. Autox is much cheaper, just really the tire cost once a year or so. The comradery at central-texas autox events is better than your typical track day too (not that track days are bad or anything). Those clubs have decent sites to run at, so the courses are usually pretty fun and reasonably safe.

Personally I love the competition of autox, and the driving can be almost as thrilling since autox is very 'dense' with high G handling, versus the higher speeds and of track days. I think autox is harder to master, because you have to contend with slalom elements and the fact that the courses are different every time.

If you really get into it, regional events are a ton of fun (3 days and 2 nights out of town) and those courses are usually longer and faster than local events. Then you have the ProSolo events with drag-tree starts, mirror image courses that you run back-to-back, and the bracket runoff challenge at the end. Then there is the week long beer party that is Nationals, with ~1300 entrants, its the biggest auto sports competition in the states. Definitely a fun time and quite the experience, even if you're not the most competitive driver.

I used to dislike autox for the little seat time to time-on-site ratio, but the more I do it, the less I need a lot of time or runs to improve. It also helps that Spokes and SASCA events let you double-run, which means you're probably not working cones in the middle of the day, but setting up in the cooler mornings and tearing down afterwards (which is pretty quick). You can also reach out and learn one of the other jobs like timing/scoring or registration which help avoid the course worker assignment.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I do both, we've met. Black '16 GT here, I think you came to a Spokes event at CotA once or twice a while back.

I like track days, but yes they're kind of expensive. Autox is much cheaper, just really the tire cost once a year or so. The comradery at central-texas autox events is better than your typical track day too (not that track days are bad or anything). Those clubs have decent sites to run at, so the courses are usually pretty fun and reasonably safe.

Personally I love the competition of autox, and the driving can be almost as thrilling since autox is very 'dense' with high G handling, versus the higher speeds and of track days. I think autox is harder to master, because you have to contend with slalom elements and the fact that the courses are different every time.

If you really get into it, regional events are a ton of fun (3 days and 2 nights out of town) and those courses are usually longer and faster than local events. Then you have the ProSolo events with drag-tree starts, mirror image courses that you run back-to-back, and the bracket runoff challenge at the end. Then there is the week long beer party that is Nationals, with ~1300 entrants, its the biggest auto sports competition in the states. Definitely a fun time and quite the experience, even if you're not the most competitive driver.

I used to dislike autox for the little seat time to time-on-site ratio, but the more I do it, the less I need a lot of time or runs to improve. It also helps that Spokes and SASCA events let you double-run, which means you're probably not working cones in the middle of the day, but setting up in the cooler mornings and tearing down afterwards (which is pretty quick). You can also reach out and learn one of the other jobs like timing/scoring or registration which help avoid the course worker assignment.
Couldn't have said it better.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
Do you care about competitive CAMC or just casual CAMC?

Comp is $5k coils with $2k wheels and the fattest 71R you can fit on your "hopefully" modified fenders. Its also an a FBO($3k) or blown motor($7k), with attention paid to front and rear aero.

Casual is camber plates and maybe sway bars with whatever 200TW tire you have.

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Do you care about competitive CAMC or just casual CAMC?

Comp is $5k coils with $2k wheels and the fattest 71R you can fit on your "hopefully" modified fenders. Its also an a FBO($3k) or blown motor($7k), with attention paid to front and rear aero.

Casual is camber plates and maybe sway bars with whatever 200TW tire you have.
I already have full bolt on motor, 18x11 wheels, coilovers, race seats, etc, etc.

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I just love the intense competition of autocross, especially at national events and autox is my primary focus for the car. CAMC has the competition but without the hassle of much of a ruleset.

I typically do one or two track days a year with it but find it a little 'boring' sometimes just lapping. When I've done the instructor training days they do mock race starts, cautions, other play stuff to help new corner workers learn flagging n stuff. Running around wheel-to-wheel if only for play is a lot more fun to me but I have to remind myself "I'm in a street car so settle down, bub."

As a competitive person I need the competition to get my juices flowing. I don't look at autocross as a downgrade from track days. It is a much easier way to get into competitive driving events. That's how I look at it.

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Yeah, I'm the same way. I loved it when I did it before. I also love track days.

I just picked up some 19x11 wheels from LMR for 540 for all 4 and I have a hookup on RE71Rs in 305/30/19 so my tire situation will be on point soon.

The car is basically set up almost perfectly now. It should be a fun time and not as wallet draining or time consuming as track days.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just love the intense competition of autocross, especially at national events and autox is my primary focus for the car. CAMC has the competition but without the hassle of much of a ruleset.

I typically do one or two track days a year with it but find it a little 'boring' sometimes just lapping. When I've done the instructor training days they do mock race starts, cautions, other play stuff to help new corner workers learn flagging n stuff. Running around wheel-to-wheel if only for play is a lot more fun to me but I have to remind myself "I'm in a street car so settle down, bub."

As a competitive person I need the competition to get my juices flowing. I don't look at autocross as a downgrade from track days. It is a much easier way to get into competitive driving events. That's how I look at it.
You may try to find a trackcross/tracksprint. My local SCCA has been putting those on and they are a blast! Autocross-style event on open track, no cones, no working. Start timing from the pitlane and exit timing about 3/4 the way through the course to allow for some cool down. I still really enjoy autocross along with that.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
You may try to find a trackcross/tracksprint. My local SCCA has been putting those on and they are a blast! Autocross-style event on open track, no cones, no working. Start timing from the pitlane and exit timing about 3/4 the way through the course to allow for some cool down. I still really enjoy autocross along with that.
That does sound like fun! I'll look into it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! They should have the whole class go out at once like with a metered onramp signal though, hehe.
Ha! It's not far off that. They've been doing a ~10 second gap between the previous car so that you won't catch the one in front of you. They have Advanced, Intermediate and Novice run groups so that you don't have a guy running ~70 sec laps running behind a guy running ~85 second laps (there was a spread that big between fastest cars and slowest cars).

Goosey23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
D
Do you ever run with Windy City Miata Club?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
D

Do you ever run with Windy City Miata Club?
I haven't, no. I've autocrossed plenty at the same place as their typical site (Boomer's stadium) with PCA Chicago, but never with WCMC or BMWSCCA.
Sponsored