Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

Laserbrain

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
What is it about the PP2 that pushes it out of FS?
It's the wider wheels?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's the wider wheels?
Mostly. The suspension setup is better too, but it's mostly the wheels.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It's the wider wheels?
Technically it is how it has been classed by SAC - saying "pushes it out of FS" makes it sounds like it has FS illegal part which isn't the case - it's where people making classing decisions decided it belongs. For better or worse.
Decisions are made based on it performance potential - so wider wheels (tires it comes with are non street class legal to begin with), suspension and all the PP2 specific calibrations as these are really the only differences.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
my 1st autocross was a blast. placed 2nd in fs behind a '19 m5 competition. awd ok in fs? there was some protest about a 617hp awd card being classed fs and it made me wonder about my classification. i glanced the rules. i drive a pp1 with magneride and active exhaust and recaros. mods include oil separator, ss clutch line, mgw shifter, bmr jacking rails, wrapped exhaust near the diff, and a dual horn. i know no one would care about the horn but looks like the rails aren't allowed. the shifter as well i guess. i'd like to know which class these mods put me in. maybe i'll just run time only. maybe i'll yank the rails for events but not the shifter obviously.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
my 1st autocross was a blast. placed 2nd in fs behind a '19 m5 competition. awd ok in fs? there was some protest about a 617hp awd card being classed fs and it made me wonder about my classification. i glanced the rules. i drive a pp1 with magneride and active exhaust and recaros. mods include oil separator, ss clutch line, mgw shifter, bmr jacking rails, wrapped exhaust near the diff, and a dual horn. i know no one would care about the horn but looks like the rails aren't allowed. the shifter as well i guess. i'd like to know which class these mods put me in. maybe i'll just run time only. maybe i'll yank the rails for events but not the shifter obviously.
No one will care about your rails, shifter - unfortunately someone might although I doubt it on a local level (if someone protests you it would actually be funny). Looks like new M5s have not been classed since no one probably asked for them to be classed. Where would they fall, who knows but I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is was your first autocross - rather focus on driving improvements. Shifter I think puts you in a Street Touring, where the clutch line puts you - no clue - but it makes way more sense to run CAM-C than the actual class mods put you in.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
IDK, for local events, I’d stay in FS even if the shifter is a little illegal. You shift once at most local events from 1st to 2nd. Once. Its not a meaningful advantage.

At an event with prize money you could be protested, but meh.

the 305 capable tires on the PP2 and more aggressive factory suspension give it an advantage. I bet in a year or two they may be talking about moving it back to FS but we’ll see.

ahhter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
IDK, for local events, I’d stay in FS even if the shifter is a little illegal. You shift once at most local events from 1st to 2nd. Once. Its not a meaningful advantage.

At an event with prize money you could be protested, but meh.

the 305 capable tires on the PP2 and more aggressive factory suspension give it an advantage. I bet in a year or two they may be talking about moving it back to FS but we’ll see.
I think the SAC is going to be forced to go one of two directions if FS keeps shrinking - either move the overly expensive/rare BMWs out of FS or bring the faster special-edition muscle cars out of BS/AS and into FS.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
After further through my absolutely wild out of my ass guess is that the '19 M5 would end up in BS if someone asked to class it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After further through my absolutely wild out of my ass guess is that the '19 M5 would end up in BS if someone asked to class it.
To that point, I wonder where the GT500 will end up. I wouldn't guess higher than BS either.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
To that point, I wonder where the GT500 will end up. I wouldn't guess higher than BS either.
I probably should have said "at least BS". ZL1 1/LE is in SS after all, GT500 should get burried (given inaccesibility, ADM and all) so would say higher than that.
It take a letter to find out but I am too lazy and don't really care to find out ;-)

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I probably should have said "at least BS". ZL1 1/LE is in SS after all, GT500 should get burried (given inaccesibility, ADM and all) so would say higher than that.
It take a letter to find out but I am too lazy and don't really care to find out ;-)
Yeah but The ZLE is a good bit lighter and and quite a bit stiffer. I'm not surprised it's in SS, but the GT500 won't be as quick on a tight course.

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
... i drive a pp1 with magneride and active exhaust and recaros.
Did you add the magnarides to a PP1? I thought that was only part of PP2.

The rails are a no go, they add rigidity to the chassis. Take them off before you run. Also, at this point in the game, just worry about reducing time on each run. Do a few Novice Schools, let an instructor drive you car on course and see how much faster it can be and work toward that goal.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
MagnEride is a separate line-item as long as you have PP1. It's included as part of the PP2 package which also includes the wider wheels+tires, supposedly enhanced MR tune for Track-mode, and the different rear spoiler.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

The rails are a no go, they add rigidity to the chassis. Take them off before you run. Also, at this point in the game, just worry about reducing time on each run. Do a few Novice Schools, let an instructor drive you car on course and see how much faster it can be and work toward that goal.
Magneride was always an option on '18+ PP1. I think Dick R here was one of the first one that ordered his this way, mine was a leftover purchased late in 2018.

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
In terms of the M5 awd with 617 hp in FS, I don't see it classed there but could easily see it classed in FS as it is 4300#. While it can accelerate very fast, autocross is more about tire to weight ratios which it takes a huge bite on. Despite that, I'd guess it will land in BS as it still tops $100k price tag new. As for your mods, some are not permitted and I'd never encourage anyone to compete in a class with unpermitted mods. OTOH I would not protest at a local unless it was an extremely ridiculous mod (ex. interior removal in street -- yes I've seen it).
I think the SAC is going to be forced to go one of two directions if FS keeps shrinking - either move the overly expensive/rare BMWs out of FS or bring the faster special-edition muscle cars out of BS/AS and into FS.
Disclaimer -- I am no longer in FS as I sold my 2011.75 BMW M3 ZCP (of which there were several thousand built between 2011-2013) for less than $22k so I would characterize the car as overly expensive or rare. People have significantly stopped coming to Nat's in pony cars either out of the perception they can't compete or have just chosen to run in CAMC with more mod allowances. That's the reason for shrinking numbers. I've always felt that Leeder could have won in 2018 but didn't drive to his best. They can't move the M3 out for 2020, and it is fair more likely that in 2021, you'll see the PP2, probably the SS1 1LE, and maybe the GT350 although that's less likely. That said, I could see them also move the next gen M3/M4 down as well. All this will not bode well for folks who have PP1 or a regular GT unless you can do a full package update easily.
Sponsored