Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks :) I clearly misunderstood advice about "camber mod" :) Where did you get the pictures from? Just want to check out the source to learn more.

I guess that's an example of situation which made me hesitant in choosing adjustable shocks. Meaning, there's a chance to make it perform worse than stock aka make them out of whack.

Quick question: full soft on Koni is still firmer that stock, right?
Lucky for you, you have a forum full of people who have been there before who can advise on what shock settings might work well.

Konis on full soft are more controlled than the stock shocks, but not worlds stiffer. On full stiff I found them a little too stiff for autox on concrete but some guys run the fronts that way. On stiffer settings they make a /hug/ impat in autox and give the corners of the car a ton more support when you toss it into elements. I haven’t tried the non-adjustable monotubes like the FRPP or Bilstein, but I cant imagine that a non-adjustable shock which is daily driveable would have enough damping to do that without being completely too stiff for daily driving.
Sponsored

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP/HP 6MT, 03 Boxster S, 97 M3
/thread haha
But the SCCA does use the Pro solo index and the 2022 index is out.
FS 0.809
DS 0.803
This accounts for the national results where the BS 2nd place 1LE was 1.7 seconds ahead of the #1 DS time. The BS #4 Shelby was 1.5 seconds ahead of the #1 DS Type R. Both times were ahead of the #1 FS M3. Mr. Ruth will need to make an adjustment.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
FS 0.809
DS 0.803
This accounts for the national results where the BS 2nd place 1LE was 1.7 seconds ahead of the #1 DS time. The BS #4 Shelby was 1.5 seconds ahead of the #1 DS Type R. Both times were ahead of the #1 FS M3. Mr. Ruth will need to make an adjustment.
For Pros only.
Mr. Ruth doesn't do PSI, Howard (I think - others here will probably know) used to, but with AWD cars in DS, doubt anyone will change it. Are you talking about results of Nationals ? That was not ProSolo. Aren't you mixing up Pax with PSI ? Why would you care about PSI difference between DS and FS if they're not in one of Sx index classes together ?

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
FS 0.809
DS 0.803
For Pros only.
Mr. Ruth doesn't do PSI, Howard (I think - others here will probably know) used to, but with AWD cars in DS, doubt anyone will change it. Are you talking about results of Nationals ? That was not ProSolo. Aren't you mixing up Pax with PSI ? Why would you care about PSI difference between DS and FS if they're not in one of Sx index classes together ?
Looks to me like '22 and maybe '23 are the years to go for it in FS if you have one of the current super ponies.

Sponsored

unknown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
It is from factory shop manual
I found "Ford Mustang Shop Manual 2015-2017" as a pdf, but I can't find that diagram. Specifically I was searching for "burr" and it found 7 results, all of them in engine/engine cooling sections. Do you mind sharing a hint where to find the right manual?

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The section is called “front camber adjustment”

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I found "Ford Mustang Shop Manual 2015-2017" as a pdf, but I can't find that diagram. Specifically I was searching for "burr" and it found 7 results, all of them in engine/engine cooling sections. Do you mind sharing a hint where to find the right manual?
It's in the section 2 - Chassis - 04 Suspension - 204-00 Suspension System - General Information - Front Camber Adjustment.

If you pm me your email, I'll send you pageblock from the manual that you technically need to prove legality of this mod should someone protest you. In reality unless you have visibly excessive camber, no one will.

unknown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
It's in the section 2 - Chassis - 04 Suspension - 204-00 Suspension System - General Information - Front Camber Adjustment.

Yeeeah. I've got a wrong manual (workshop manual). Now I got the right manual (supplementary workshop manual revision 10/1/15), but section 204-00 Camber adjustment doesn't tell anything about slots in the struts. Which is fine, you and @Dana Pants both drive 2018… maybe it's in the manual for 2018+… whatevs. I give up :)

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It's still going to be a stacked class, with Leeder, Daddio, Strano, Hale and several other Camaro guys in there. But, gotta try try try.
Looks like Hale sold his BS/FS Camaro and will likely be driving in a completely different class this year, but you guys will still have to contest with the rest of those guys.

Sponsored

unknown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I guess indeed there's no reason to avoid adjustable ones… I'll put 'em on my todo list.
I bought Konis and installed them a few weeks back. I'm figuring out the setting yet. Tried out full soft and it's too soft :) Very close to stock GT shocks in that regard in my opinion. Tried 5 x 1/4 turns and it's nice in terms of control, but a bit too harsh for daily driving on my local roads. I'm on 2 x 1/4 turns now, and it looks to be ok, but I need a bit more road time.

The problem I have is that I started hearing slight knocks/clicks after the installation. It doesn't happen all the time and it seems to be temperature-depending (more often when cooler outside, less often when it's warmer). Typically it manifests on slow speeds on braking with wheels straight, or on start-stop with turned-to-the-extreme wheels. I diagnosed that with mechanics who installed the shocks, they didn't find any problem with their work 🤷‍♂️ It does appear to be very similar to this https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...from-my-suspension.147037/page-3#post-3013385 I will try to diagnose the noise further, but wanted to check how common/uncommon these symptoms with Konis.

My main question: did you experience any extra noise after installing yellow Koni shocks? No other mods in suspension: stock sway bar, stock springs.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check the endlinks, they’re the most common source of noise after the front end gets work.

The shocks shouldn’t knock when new, i had one rear start knocking which had gone defective. My fronts never made noise if the bolts were all correctly tightened.

Isolate the corner making the noise if you can. Is it front or rear or one side or the other?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I would suspect the endlinks also.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It occasionally happens on all four corners, but most pronounced from front-left.
Its very hard to get the rears to knock if you have stock mounts and if the koni isn't defective. Its just 4 bolts on those, plus the top nuts. Checking the torques on those 4 bolts is fairly easy.

Fronts have a few more things to check. f you think its left front:
+ toque the F out of the endlink (but don't break it). Make sure to hold the nut on the backside as you're torquing. Again this is a common place to get noise. If that doesn't solve it, then check all the things:
+ check the torques on the 3 strut tower bolts from the engine bay (super easy)
+ Check the strut top nut (it doesn't need a ton of torque, just needs to not be loose).
+ Make sure the brake calipers and main strut to spindle bolts are not shifting.

If everything is tight, then you can swap the shock assemblies from left to right side and see if the noise follows. That's the best way to actually isolate it to a specific shock, but its more work.

Torque settings for all those are in the sticky thread in the suspension forum.
Sponsored