Sponsored

SC for Daily Driven '19 A10: Whipple or Vortech ?

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I have a 2015 A10 3.55 gears., GT 350 axles
with Gt 350 intake and TB, Long tubes headers with cats.
Ready to make it a fun daily driver but still want to go on long all day trips on the expressway.
Torn between the Procharger stage 1 or Whipple Stage 1
Will have a shop install and tune.
Thinking the Procharger is best because the Whipple will just have to much low end and will not hook up?
Plan on Oli [pump gears and cam sprockets at the same time.
I have the 355 gears in my 10R80 with a procharger. When I had just the stock HO kit with Procharger's tune, the car made 525 RWHP SAE at 7000 RPM. I was a bit disappointed but it was actually perfect all around. The shop that did the pull said it ran perfect. 6.5 psi boost. I asked him to drive it and he thought the car would do low 11s or maybe even a high 10 which shocked me. All he does is Mustangs and he drag races almost every other weekend and his two cars, a GT500 and Hellcat are what he drives, so I believe him.

Then I got injectors, BAP, pulley, etc and contact PBD and did a remote tune, datalogging. Probable 9-10 psi boost and kinda ruined the fun of driving the car. It turned into a ridiculously fast nearly unusable car. I honestly am thinking of returning the car back to the original tune/injectors. Why?

Because with the gearing and 10 speed, it is hard to accelerate hard, downshifting and not have an issue with traction. I find myself driving my only tuned '16 stick more often because it is just hard to drive like before.

Just my .02 and I am an old guy so take that for what it is worth.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I have the 355 gears in my 10R80 with a procharger. When I had just the stock HO kit with Procharger's tune, the car made 525 RWHP SAE at 7000 RPM. I was a bit disappointed but it was actually perfect all around. The shop that did the pull said it ran perfect. 6.5 psi boost. I asked him to drive it and he thought the car would do low 11s or maybe even a high 10 which shocked me. All he does is Mustangs and he drag races almost every other weekend and his two cars, a GT500 and Hellcat are what he drives, so I believe him.

Then I got injectors, BAP, pulley, etc and contact PBD and did a remote tune, datalogging. Probable 9-10 psi boost and kinda ruined the fun of driving the car. It turned into a ridiculously fast nearly unusable car. I honestly am thinking of returning the car back to the original tune/injectors. Why?

Because with the gearing and 10 speed, it is hard to accelerate hard, downshifting and not have an issue with traction. I find myself driving my only tuned '16 stick more often because it is just hard to drive like before.

Just my .02 and I am an old guy so take that for what it is worth.
Well, you have your race tune figured out, now dial in your DD tune. Might require a pulley change too. I don't think you need to swap out any other hard bits.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The PBD tune was a DD tune supposedly. You just have to be very light on the throttle when accelerating to pass, etc.

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hi there all!

I've been debating grabbing a SC for my '19 GT A10 for a while now, and have narrowed it down to either a Whipple Stage 1 or a basic Vortech V-3 kit. And as a side note, I'd be sticking with the canned tunes for a year or two, so custom tuning is off the table for now.

I like the daily driver potential/controllable nature of a centri; and I tend to drive pretty conservatively most of the time anyhow, so it seems like the perfect fit. But, something about the Whipple just calls to me haha.

BUT, I have read several articles here on the site referencing problems with Whipple's tunes, seemingly limited to MY 19's for whatever reason (Improper fueling, blown piston rings, etc where the 18's seem fine)

I wanted to stick with Whipple's tune if that was the SC I chose, simply for the driveability and Flight Controls. I just don't want to worry about burning a piston or blowing a ring on a hard pull : /

By comparison, I haven't found much on Vortech's canned tunes, so that could be good or bad I suppose. But I know that I wouldn't get nearly as good of driveability as the Whipple and all it's fancy features.

Anyone have any experience or input? Maybe there has been an update recently that improved matters, or maybe I should just go with the Vortech? Opinions please!
I have owned a vortech mustang and have been in the seat of twin screw mustangs. For daily driving twin screw wins every time. Power across any rpm. Centri blowers sound cool but take time to spool. But i suppose if cruising down the strip sounding like a hoover on steroids is your thing then do it :). I have to admit the looks i got were great. But I always longed for more instant power.
The whipple canned tune is perfect. Too many “experts” whose only experience is what they read from others who all they know is also what they read.

my whipple gen5 stage 2 was ordered in nov.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The whipple canned tune is perfect. Too many “experts” whose only experience is what they read from others who all they know is also what they read.
totally Agree

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
You guys will all think this is nuts, but either the Vortex or the Whipple will do the job, and how they perform in DD service won't be much different. It took a LOT of getting used to the S550 after 12 years with a Whipple Terminator. Why? Electric throttle. Finally dawned on me that the pedal to TB response function is not linear like an old cable throttle. I have to mash the pedal hard to get this thing into boost, and then get outta the way. But light part throttle around town? Drives like a stocker. 2.3 VMP makes about 12# boost. The Terminator was touchy! Even 1/4 pedal would break em loose in 2d or 3d gear.

Kenbike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT convertible loaded
I for sure looking for the sleeper car and do enjoy low end power.
My pinion bearing is howling at 21,000 miles so it does need repaired. If a Whipple is installed should I drop the rear gear from the current 3.55 to 3.31 or higher?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Op every expert commenting on this thread will try to talk you in to buying what they own. (I don’t know how you give advice on a system that’s not even mounted on the car yet? And you haven’t driven.) If you’re really torn try to drive both before buying. If you look at the fast list in the drag race section. You’ll see plenty of fast supercharged cars of all brands. So how wrong can you really go either way?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have owned a vortech mustang and have been in the seat of twin screw mustangs. For daily driving twin screw wins every time. Power across any rpm. Centri blowers sound cool but take time to spool. But i suppose if cruising down the strip sounding like a hoover on steroids is your thing then do it :). I have to admit the looks i got were great. But I always longed for more instant power.

my whipple gen5 stage 2 was ordered in nov.
This is why I tell everyone not to go vortech. They take to long to build boost. People always compare vortech to procharger but they are not in the same class. They are comparing apple’s to orange’s

Sponsored

Brombones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Mustang PP1
This is why I tell everyone not to go vortech. They take to long to build boost. People always compare vortech to procharger but they are not in the same class. They are comparing apple’s to orange’s

Curious to know what everyone's definition of "take too long to build boost" means. I have a Vortech 19 GT and if my rpm is >4500 I don't feel as if the car takes overly long to build boost. It isn't a punch in the gut like a twinscrew from low rpm but I feel as if it is rather quick.

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Curious to know what everyone's definition of "take too long to build boost" means. I have a Vortech 19 GT and if my rpm is >4500 I don't feel as if the car takes overly long to build boost. It isn't a punch in the gut like a twinscrew from low rpm but I feel as if it is rather quick.
This is a fact. If you are accelerating hard (especially in a 10spd auto) you will be in high rpm and boost the whole time. It only hurts from part throttle stab or from a dig. Any gear at 2500rpm is going to e soft until boost builds. There is certainly a kick when the bov closes and you see low boost on the punch, but it is not instant 12psi.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The 10 speed transmission does amazing things for a centri.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Sure, but it won't turn it into a PD blower.

Doesn't really matter though. Any FI Mustang is great to have!
why would it have to be anything else but what it is?
Sponsored