Sponsored

SC for Daily Driven '19 A10: Whipple or Vortech ?

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Hi there all!

I've been debating grabbing a SC for my '19 GT A10 for a while now, and have narrowed it down to either a Whipple Stage 1 or a basic Vortech V-3 kit. And as a side note, I'd be sticking with the canned tunes for a year or two, so custom tuning is off the table for now.

I like the daily driver potential/controllable nature of a centri; and I tend to drive pretty conservatively most of the time anyhow, so it seems like the perfect fit. But, something about the Whipple just calls to me haha.

BUT, I have read several articles here on the site referencing problems with Whipple's tunes, seemingly limited to MY 19's for whatever reason (Improper fueling, blown piston rings, etc where the 18's seem fine)

I wanted to stick with Whipple's tune if that was the SC I chose, simply for the driveability and Flight Controls. I just don't want to worry about burning a piston or blowing a ring on a hard pull : /

By comparison, I haven't found much on Vortech's canned tunes, so that could be good or bad I suppose. But I know that I wouldn't get nearly as good of driveability as the Whipple and all it's fancy features.

Anyone have any experience or input? Maybe there has been an update recently that improved matters, or maybe I should just go with the Vortech? Opinions please!
I personally like Whipple and have one on my 17. With that said, i wouldootnfor the stage 2 right from the start as you get a bigger throttle body, pump. Injectors and most importantly the Whipple tune is different. Regarding the Whipple tune, i ran it on my car for over a year without any issue. The interface for the tune is very user friendly with A LOT of parameters that can be adjusted and safeguards that can be turned on or off. So because of the customizing you can do i don’t think it’s fair to just blame the tune from Whipple.

i was in the same position as you and went Whipple, stage2 and on their tune and the car was a monster. If you have any questions about the kits or installs, etc. please just let me know #TeamLethal
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I put a Whipple, Stage 1, gen 5 on my '19 Bullitt (stick) and a Procharger on my '18 A10. Both with the stock tune and stage 1 complete kits. Meaning neither had custom tunes.
I dyno'd the Whipple and it made 675 rwhp at 7,800 rpm SAE. I have not yet dyno'd the Procharger.

Drivability on both was/is excellent. Gas mileage if you don't really get on it is just a bit off stock, so very good.

If you are installing yourself, the Procharger is much easier and quicker. I am not sure on HP of the Procharger until I dyno it, but do not think it makes the power of the Whipple. That said, with the Whipple, being a PD, lower torque blower and your a10 you will have traction problems for sure and after a while it can get irritating not being able to really put your foot into it unless you are all ready going 50 or so. The Procharger is just excellent with the A10. Yes, the car does just spin the tires in 1,2,sometime s3 but it comes often at the shift point and with traction off it does the sideways move! Usable and fun power. And, never feels like it runs out of gas and that shift is just excellent!

I would not do the Vortech. I installed a Vortech HO kit on my '09 Bullitt and it is a much more difficult install than the Procharger. And, if memory serves, you have to remove the blower to change the serpentine belt. Not good.

I have come to love the look and sound of the Procharger. Plus the IATs are just slightly over ambient air temp.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
BTW, I am making good power (likely abt 580-600 rwhp) with 6.5 PSI. Not bad. I'll post my dyno numbers after it goes on the rollers this Thursday. So, you and others can compare.

Brombones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Mustang PP1
I just installed the Vortech V3 on my 2019 auto. I am really enjoying it for daily driving. Under 5k rpm, it drives stock. You can't even tell that it has a blower. IAT are lower than when the car was stock, even in standstill traffic. Car is a blast to drive.

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
F1X and air to water. I cant figure put why more people dont go centri straight to the intake manifold with an air to water IM.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
F1X and air to water. I cant figure put why more people dont go centri straight to the intake manifold with an air to water IM.
Because most people don’t install there own kits or even know what is in them. They see price and horsepower and that’s all. Most centrifugal kits don’t come with air to water I/c and most people won’t or can’t modify there cars beyond a complete kit

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I would not go vortech v3. If you want a centrifugal go procharger The gear reduction of the p1x is 4 to 1 with a rpm limit of 65,000 and max hp claim is 950. the vortech is 3.61 and 52,000 max hp claim is 775. This means that the procharger gives you boost sooner and more of it, can make more total boost and hp.
a procharger with a 3.5 pulley is like a vortech with a 3.0. You have much less chance of belt slip with procharger.

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you still have not made a decision, i'd say vortech v3. I have one on my 2017 GT and she makes 680 rwhp, 840 to the crank. Whines when your on the throttle and keeps quiet if driving the car daily

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you still have not made a decision, i'd say vortech v3. I have one on my 2017 GT and she makes 680 rwhp, 840 to the crank. Whines when your on the throttle and keeps quiet if driving the car daily
For a centrifugal I would look at procharger. The p1x has a internal gear ratio of 4:1 where vortech v3 is 3.6:1. Normally this is not a problem as you can just pulley down to achieve the desired impeller speed. But this means that the procharger can make the same boost on a larger pulley so less chance of belt slip. Procharger can achieve a higher rpm/cfm/boost/power for the same price. Nothing wrong with vortech but if I’m going to invest a good chunk of cash in a supercharger and I wanted centrifugal I would want what I considered to be the best.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I vote Whipple with Lund E85/Flex tune. For a DD I want power in the lower RPM range for passing, merging, etc. I don't want to wait for a centrifugal to spool up. I debated this and if it was a track car only then I would have went Procharger.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Having owned and installed a Vortech on my 2009 Bullitt, a Whipple on my 19 Bullitt and a ProCharger on my 2018 with the A10, here is my experience.
All ran good. Started, idled, accelerated smoothly. Fairly good mileage.
ProCharger unquestionably the easiest install. Vortech with air to water intercooler looked the best. Vortech hardest to install and you had to remove the blower to change the belt. Whipple had the best oem type parts, hoses,etc.
With the A10 and a ProCharger, accelerating is mind blowing as the car with advance trac off can go through the first 4 gears sideways. Just a blast.

All were/are good. With a stick and the long gearing of the newer s550s, I think the PD blowers such as Whipple, Edelbrock, Roush, VMP, etc might be what some folks want. 1/2 gas in 1st and 2nd and lose traction. However, the ProCharger would be a lot of fun winding those gears out, too.

With the low gear ratios of the A10, I think you might be in boost too quickly.

Kenbike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT convertible loaded
I have a 2015 A10 3.55 gears., GT 350 axles
with Gt 350 intake and TB, Long tubes headers with cats.
Ready to make it a fun daily driver but still want to go on long all day trips on the expressway.
Torn between the Procharger stage 1 or Whipple Stage 1
Will have a shop install and tune.
Thinking the Procharger is best because the Whipple will just have to much low end and will not hook up?
Plan on Oli [pump gears and cam sprockets at the same time.

Kenbike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT convertible loaded
Do you find the power is controllable with the Whipple?
Does the stock traction control still function with the SC installed?
And does the adaptive cruise control still work with the SC?
Lots of questions!

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Do you find the power is controllable with the Whipple?
Does the stock traction control still function with the SC installed?
And does the adaptive cruise control still work with the SC?
Lots of questions!
I have yet to install my Whipple, but I have driven blown/fast cars and controllable is relative. Mash the throttle pedal to the floor at any speed controllable? No. Controllable with proper tires and input from an experienced driver? Certainly

All the car's features should work, cruise, traction control, etc. just like stock. A whipple will also be quieter, won't have the whine you would get with a Procharger. Makes for a good sleeper car if that is what you want. Want to show off, then get a Procharger with a racing blow valve.
Sponsored