Sponsored

Sawzall?

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
MY axlebacks arrive. I need to purchase a sawzall. Any recommendations? Corded or battery? I don't need a mega super saw. Or rent one for $16 for 4 hours?
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Takes literally 45 seconds to cut the pipes, I'd rent one. Get everything ready first, if you don't have a lift its easier to take the catback off.

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
If you're going to buy one, I would recommend going corded. Never have to worry about charging batteries, ever. I assume you would have little use for it since you don't already own one. So you would have to either leave the battery on the charger, or charge it before every use.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Did mine with a battery powered one, nothing to it as long as your blade is new.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Love my Milwaukee tools. Have a torque gun and sawzall that share the same 18V battery like z06 above. Make sure you choose a good brand though because you'll want to invest in batteries/more tools that are from the same family.

17StangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
I gpt ryobi one plus with the 18v lithium ion batteries. Good quality at a decent price. I use the same 18v lithium ion battery for my drill, sawzal, weed eater, dust buster and countless other tools. Once you get one or two batteries you can get most of the stand alone tools for $50 or less each without a battery from Home Depot.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
No need for anything fancy. I've owned the cheap harbor freight one for years now. It has cut through metal pipes, wood, car crash bars, you name it. Still going strong.

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
i am happy with my makita corded. Please don't buy shit from harbor freight, they tools will fail you when you need them the most. I have had jacks fail dropping the car. I had the square peg on my 3/8 socket twist off. dont buy their crap. buy quality stuff and you will only need to buy it once.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

i am happy with my makita corded. Please don't buy shit from harbor freight, they tools will fail you when you need them the most. I have had jacks fail dropping the car. I had the square peg on my 3/8 socket twist off. dont buy their crap. buy quality stuff and you will only need to buy it once.
Guess you either use the tool wrong or got one of the few duds. I've used Harbor Freight stuff for years and the only thing to ever break on me was a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter piece. I have two of their jacks. One of them I've had for over 5 years. Still works like new. If you aren't a professional mechanic aka make money by using tools, then you don't need the best. Why spend hundreds of dollars on tools when you can get the same tool for the job for a 1/3 or less of the price.

Most tools these days are made overseas regardless of the company. Snap On? Not all US made anymore. Craftsman? Nope. Mac Tools? Nope.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Rent one if you do not plan on doing any major home remodeling. Otherwise buy a Milwaukee Sawzall corded that will last the rest of your life. They invented the thing in 1951.

I have a Milwaukee 1/2" Holeshooter from 1989 that has shot more deck screws or drilled more holes than I can even imagine. I did have to replace the cord once due to abrasion. It was like $15.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
OP didn't ask, but if you don't have a future use for a sawzall and have any doubts about making a square cut, a chain type pipe cutter will guarantee a square cut. Cheap ones say not for stainless steel but I think it just takes more turns and wears them out sooner.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
OP didn't ask, but if you don't have a future use for a sawzall and have any doubts about making a square cut, a chain type pipe cutter will guarantee a square cut. Cheap ones say not for stainless steel but I think it just takes more turns and wears them out sooner.
This right here. It's a hell of a workout but the cut is way better with one of these chain cutters. I bought one from Amazon for $30, just lube it before you use it and it will last. Used it to fix the cuts I did with a sawzall for the axle back, and also used it to make cuts for my H-Pipe.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Guess you either use the tool wrong or got one of the few duds. I've used Harbor Freight stuff for years and the only thing to ever break on me was a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter piece. I have two of their jacks. One of them I've had for over 5 years. Still works like new. If you aren't a professional mechanic aka make money by using tools, then you don't need the best. Why spend hundreds of dollars on tools when you can get the same tool for the job for a 1/3 or less of the price.

Most tools these days are made overseas regardless of the company. Snap On? Not all US made anymore. Craftsman? Nope. Mac Tools? Nope.
Exactly. Do your research on HF. Yes they sell some absolute junk, but there's stuff there that works just fine, especially if you don't plan to use it often.

Since the OP is inquiring about renting the tool, it seems obvious they're budget minded, and don't want to spend $100+ or even $200 saws like some are recommending.

Personally, if money wasn't a concern, I'd say get the Milwaukee Fuel Sawzall... I own it and it's fantastic. However, for a quick job, a $30 HF saw with a decent blade will do the same job.
Sponsored