Sponsored

Saw a BMW i8

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
....yesterday. Didn’t know what it was at first. Came home and looked it up and was shocked it’s about a $150,000 car.
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

jmack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2002 F-250 7.3 PSD
4 cylinder and not at least an inline 6 in an M car. BMW truly has lost their way. It's supposed to be supercar, why not put the M5's S68 in it?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the juice would come from recovered braking energy. The battery would get tapped only once the capacitors are drained (like on a highway). The best of both worlds: electric torque, with the convenience of gas.
this I might buy. 40kw batt, supercaps and small genset. The CORRECT definition of a hybrid. Natch it comes from a company that actually does some innovation.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Wow, you should apply for a job at BMW :facepalm:
Of course rather than laughs, I get this.

If I wanna waste hundreds of thousands on a BMW, I'd find the real Midengine BMW, the M1

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Too many people here who actually believe it. I wouldn't buy any BMW personally. The Mazda though, if it ever materializes...
Not an EV guy, but Mazda does need to make a RX-9.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
....yesterday. Didn’t know what it was at first. Came home and looked it up and was shocked it’s about a $150,000 car.
Goes 0-60 in 4.2... not exactly fastest car on earth, but enough for most. Handling, interior, etc. is said to nice.... Youtube crowd seemed to like the car when I researched it years ago.

I've seen one once going down the highway moving in and out of traffic easily at a quick pace. Looked good.

That said, I would not buy one.

Mazda? LOL... got to be joking.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
One of my neighbors has a guest over 5-6 times a year that drives up in one. Tends to park right outside my front door. The other car they use is a very fancy Merc that is a tremendous gas guzzler from the looks of it.

If Mazda made a mustang EB the Ford wouldn't have a prayer. Mazda knows how to do driver's cars and not charge 6 figures for the privilege.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Have you driven any Mazda's lately? They are some if the most driver focused vehicles on the road. They put many more expensive cars to shame in terms of pure driving dynamics. If a Camry is the sedan for people who don't like cars, the Mazda6 is the sedan for people who actually enjoy driving.
You are saying a Mazda6 drives better than a BMW i8? Sounds ridiculous to me. I've not driven either, but I'd put my money on the i8... even though I don't care for how my BMW drives - feels disconnected to me... but I grew up driving tractors so maybe I'm not refined enough.

If I were looking for a family sht box I'd more than likely get a Honda Accord. But that is me... owned two of those and they lasted to 200,000 miles with little trouble.

If I wanted to buy something to drive, I'd more than likely look at a Porsche.

But I think you might be focused more on cost. I have a certain need to fill and I do that, hence my choices.

Anyway, I'll leave you fine people to your thread...

Edit: I saw the RX-9 comments. I simply don't care for the Mazda brand. Can't imagine I'd ever buy one. I've owned a Mazda in the past... owned a Hyundai and won't go back there either. In other words, no further comments from me in this thread. LOL

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have a good friend who just sold his i8. It only had about 5k miles on it and he really got raped on resale... sold it for $66k. It was a very cool looking car with interesting features and ergonomics. It didn't weigh a lot, so it accelerated pretty well for not having a ton of power. It handled very well and the center of gravity was extremely low, so it had zero body lean. I thought the doors were neat, but opening and closing them took getting used to. The door sill is very wide and high, so you have to find a new way to get into and out of the seat. If you aren't average height and on the slim side, you will have problems getting in and out. Once you are in your seat it feels different... very hard to explain... feels like a space ship or something, not a car.

It's great fun for short term entertainment value and a very novel experience. But, I wouldn't want it for more than a couple weeks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The i8 kind of reminds me of the old 850’s.

The 850’s were really nice, sporty BMW coupes and like no other - but far advanced for their time and just did not catch on. They too had an extremely high MSRP (for their time and considering the other less expensive BMW products) and they just fizzled out.

To find a nice used 850 today is rare and when you do find one that is in excellent exceptional condition, their values are definitely climbing. I wouldn’t doubt that one day the 850 hits M1 notoriety.

i8’s around this way have been bouncing between $58k-$70k for used versions, but again are not very sought after as other BMW models.

The one BMW that no one expected to fetch 6-figures is the 88-90 E30 BMW M3. It’s becoming one of those “untouchable” collector cars.
Sponsored