Mjschneidy

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 82 GT Track Car, 73 Stroppe Bronco
Huge progress, super cool. Have you been able to start the engine yet?
Thanks and yes, engine fired right up and sounds great which was a welcome relief. Weā€™ve installed the new radiator/fan assembly and let idle for a while to fill with coolant, no drama so far.

The only damage I didnā€™t anticipate was the bent strut and those are on back order so I havenā€™t been able to drive it yet.

OP
OP
Mjschneidy

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Picked up the last couple parts today to get back on the road. Plan to spray the front bumper cover this weekend and then make an inspection appointment.

BB2049CC-A343-467F-BE2D-7EDA7979F7FA.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Picked up the last couple parts today to get back on the road. Plan to spray the front bumper cover this weekend and then make an inspection appointment.

BB2049CC-A343-467F-BE2D-7EDA7979F7FA.jpeg
Looking good! At this stage, what's your "all in" for the cost of parts/repairs?

OP
OP
Mjschneidy

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m hesitant to share because at some point I will sell this.

Oh what the heckā€¦. I havenā€™t added up my receipts yet but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be well under $40k all in. All parts replaced are new OE ford with the exception of the two bumper cover assemblies. Those were a low mileage take off and a new plant reject for paint scratches which I needed to paint anyway for color matching. I do all my own work including paint so that helps tremendously.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Oh what the heckā€¦. I havenā€™t added up my receipts yet but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be well under $40k all in. All parts replaced are new OE ford with the exception of the two bumper cover assemblies. Those were a low mileage take off and a new plant reject for paint scratches which I needed to paint anyway for color matching. I do all my own work including paint so that helps tremendously.
That's pretty good though - if you do sell, you'll def make some $$ in the end - good deal!

So do you do this on the side - meaning, have you bought from salvage facilities before to do the same? It's pretty cool that you can and have the ability to do it, as well as the paint work too.

Thanks for sharing - it's a good thread to watch you bring it back.

OP
OP
Mjschneidy

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
So do you do this on the side - meaning, have you bought from salvage facilities before to do the same? It's pretty cool that you can and have the ability to do it, as well as the paint work too.
My first car at 14 was a 76 280z that was lightly hit in the front. This Mach 1 is the first salvage builder Iā€™ve done since but Iā€˜ve restored many cars in between. Fox mustangs, corvette, built and drove an 82 S10 with a 350 tuned port motor out of a 90 corvette through college. That was a fun truck, sleeper. Others Iā€™m forgetting about.

Here are the three we currently own. 82 Mustang GT I built for road racing, had this one 22 years now. 73 Stroppe Baja Bronco fixed up into a great driver. Was cleaning the shop out so had them all outside.

3A91DF45-5FE9-498D-9928-4151047B953C.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My first car at 14 was a 76 280z that was lightly hit in the front. This Mach 1 is the first salvage builder Iā€™ve done since but Iā€˜ve restored many cars in between. Fox mustangs, corvette, built and drove an 82 S10 with a 350 tuned port motor out of a 90 corvette through college. That was a fun truck, sleeper. Others Iā€™m forgetting about.

Here are the three we currently own. 82 Mustang GT I built for road racing, had this one 22 years now. 73 Stroppe Baja Bronco fixed up into a great driver. Was cleaning the shop out so had them all outside.

3A91DF45-5FE9-498D-9928-4151047B953C.jpeg
I agree with @Cobra Jet so cool that you have the ability to do everything yourself! Congrats on the rebuild and for saving her! Hopefully you enjoy it for a while before you sell.

Sponsored

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1

I saw someone save a ton of money restoring a wrecked bmw i8, and that thing is a bonded carbon fiber chassis, so no job is too big. Things like this are worth doing as a hobby if you are handy and live in a state that isn't strict regarding salvage titles. But one thing is that if you are selling this either you or the buyer need to take this to an actual body shop. Just because no airbag deployed doesnt mean there isnt frame damage, all the panels need to be removed and a proper inspection preferred (if not already performed)

OP
OP
Mjschneidy

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Good advice for the uniformed, and of course anyone buying this car or one like it should always have the opportunity to get it inspected prior to purchase.

Iā€™m good with my inspection for my ownership, I know where and what to look for. This car is straight, no structural damage, not even a little. Alignment rack will help confirm.

OP
OP
Mjschneidy

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Way overdue for an update, lots has happened both good and badā€¦.

Got the car all together, state inspected, title signed off as good to register and plate. No issues went smooth. Got to drive it a bit, wife drove it once, my 16yr old son and I drove it a bit more. Car ran great, very fun, I was pleasantly surprised in its performance. Thatā€™s the goodā€¦.

We put about 100 miles on it and then it developed a sudden engine noise, obvious rod knock. Drained the oil and found bearing flakes. Thatā€™s the bad.

Im not too shocked, thought I got lucky but knew it was a very possible expense when I bought it. So out comes the motor.

FFD68D6C-81FA-45E2-866F-2C77262AA4E9.jpeg

865C975A-ACFE-4814-9E7B-EFDFE6923DD5.jpeg

65DC85AB-44B7-408D-8336-D5CD327877E9.jpeg

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Way overdue for an update, lots has happened both good and badā€¦.

Got the car all together, state inspected, title signed off as good to register and plate. No issues went smooth. Got to drive it a bit, wife drove it once, my 16yr old son and I drove it a bit more. Car ran great, very fun, I was pleasantly surprised in its performance. Thatā€™s the goodā€¦.

We put about 100 miles on it and then it developed a sudden engine noise, obvious rod knock. Drained the oil and found bearing flakes. Thatā€™s the bad.

Im not too shocked, thought I got lucky but knew it was a very possible expense when I bought it. So out comes the motor.

FFD68D6C-81FA-45E2-866F-2C77262AA4E9.jpeg

865C975A-ACFE-4814-9E7B-EFDFE6923DD5.jpeg

65DC85AB-44B7-408D-8336-D5CD327877E9.jpeg
Appears to be an oil starve, is that the only rod bearing affected?

OP
OP
Mjschneidy

Mjschneidy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
So hereā€™s the plan for the motorā€¦. Since i do plan to track it a bit we are going down the ā€œwhile youā€˜re in thereā€ rabbit hole, and I love building engines.

The crank could be turned and the block is definitely good but of course would need a touch hone for new rings. Since Iā€™m a Ford employee and get a respectful discount, and the parts are surprisingly reasonable to start with I bought a new block and crank. Iā€™m also going to upgrade the rotating assembly into an Aluminator clone using the good Mahle pistons and Manley rods. Will also do the usual oil pump and other minor upgrades.

So more stuff to post about coming, car isnā€™t done yetā€¦.

2E33D41C-DF85-4261-B740-C68FC6DAA893.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: