Sponsored

Safelite Driving Car After Install?

nathanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My windshield took a rock the other day and it cracked all the way across almost instantly. The insurance co scheduled the replacement through Safelite, but it says the installer will need to drive the car after install to calibrate everything.

Gotta tell ya, not a huge fan of this idea. The technicians / installers in my area are almost always people you wouldn't want taking your car out. Anyone been through this? I'll add my car is a 6-speed and I cringe watching people try to make it move.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
"Calibrate" what, exactly?

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I tried to use Safelite once. They charge too much and didn't like their whole approach and customer service. I went to a local shop, a traditional one where two technicians install windshield.

Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Had them do windshield replacement on 3 of my Mustangs and my M2. No issues with any of them.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have insurance with zero deductible (on all my vehicles) on windshield replacements due to my Jeep Wrangler's windshield being almost upright and prone to rock chips.

Even though my insurance will cover 100% of the replacement cost, I will bark at high price. Safelite is too expensive, the reason I went to a local, small shop. I also think it will help keeping insurance cost in the end (hope so).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have insurance with zero deductible (on all my vehicles) on windshield replacements due to my Jeep Wrangler's windshield being almost upright and prone to rock chips.

Even though my insurance will cover 100% of the replacement cost, I will bark at high price. Safelite is too expensive, the reason I went to a local, small shop. I also think it will help keeping insurance cost in the end (hope so).
If making such a claim for a windshield that is covered 100% by Insurance based on policy provisions - does your annual rates ever go up after making 1 or more claims for a windshield replacement?

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
If making such a claim for a windshield that is covered 100% by Insurance based on policy provisions - does your annual rates ever go up after making 1 or more claims for a windshield replacement?
No... FYI, Every state has different types of glass coverages that vary.

Eyesight on Subaru s 'sometimes" needs the same calibrations but other times the glass is replaced and no adjustments needed.

Sponsored

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
I have terrible luck with windshields, always have to replace within a year of owning the car, Safelite has done them all with no issues whatsoever, great service.

That being said, my cars have never been fancy enough to require a test drive in order to calibrate wipers, so can't speak to their test driving abilities.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No, did not increase, with two replacements.
Oh that's good - always wondered about it if rates get manipulated after making a claim where Ins. says they'll cover 100% of XYZ.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been with the State Farm since 1990. I deserve a little break.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My windshield took a rock the other day and it cracked all the way across almost instantly. The insurance co scheduled the replacement through Safelite, but it says the installer will need to drive the car after install to calibrate everything.

Gotta tell ya, not a huge fan of this idea. The technicians / installers in my area are almost always people you wouldn't want taking your car out. Anyone been through this? I'll add my car is a 6-speed and I cringe watching people try to make it move.
Check this out.

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
I didn't even make it home to Alabama from the dealer in Michigan after I bought my MACh1 without a boulder taking out my windshield. I called my insurance and they had Safelite at my house the next day. The tech had all the right tools etc to R&R the windshield without a scratch. He tried to calibrate the car in my driveway but was unable to connect. He asked my if it was ok for him to drive my car to the shop to finish up. I told him "No" I will follow you. Once we got to the shop they were able to connect and recalibrate. They do have to talk with a 3rd party Ford person in Texas while driving to get all the systems working correctly. I drove and he talked with Ford.....10 min ride and all was done! There are 2 options for glass on my MACh1.....one @ zero deductible....NO FORD LOGO.....one Ford OEM with logo @ deductible amount. Make sure you tell them which you want. They push the non-logo..... Even after telling them I wanted the OEM glass they brought both to my house.
Sponsored