Sponsored

Safe way to sell parts?

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
How does everyone go about selling parts online and having safeguards for both parties? I have a bunch of parts to sell/ship and I’m not sure what’s best these days
Sponsored

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TLo
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
I have always used paypal and not sold to users w/o any history (posts etc..) on the forums (in my FoST Days). Always a risk though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
As far as selling anything and shipping, I sold on eBay from 1998 through about 2005, as well as sold on many Auto forums over the last 20+ years. I have a 100% rating with over 1100+ positive feedbacks on eBay and have a shitton of positive Trader Ratings on various sites...

Selling Tips when having to ship:

1) Always state in the ad “Buyer pays shipping”. Weigh the item in its packaging and go online to the US Postal site, UPS and FedEx and enter the package size, weight and if insurance is needed. Plug a few zip codes that are in your region, then do a few for a couple of states beyond yours to get an idea of shipping costs. Add the shipping cost into your approx. asking or selling price. It’s better to get multiple shipping quotes so you can offer the Buyer a choice but to try and get the lowest shipping amount to aid in the sale.

2) Start your asking price out high with your bottom line in mind with the assumption of getting a lower offer than full asking price. So if you’re wanting $200 for Item-X, ask $230.... if you start out high (within reason and fairness), you have more of a chance of hitting your target value, rather than starting out low and being low balled even lower...

3) State in your ad the forms of acceptable payment. This day and age not many people send checks or money orders, some still do... IF the Buyer wants to send a personal or business account check, tell the Buyer you will ship the item within 7-10 business days to make sure that check has cleared your bank and the funds are available. Do NOT ship until a check has cleared. Money orders from the US Postal Service is another safe “paper” payment, as are Bank Cashier’s checks.

Digital forms of payment are the “in thing” now. Make sure you’re aware of any fees due to the service provider and either figure those fees into your total expected “profit”, OR eat the fees... Make sure (if applicable) that the Buyer is also verified with that service.

DO NOT do Western Union, too many scams involving that service.... (just google it)

4) NEVER release or ship your product until you have been paid in full and those funds are in your bank or online payment services account.

5) Always take pics of the item and the packaging before you ship to prove the condition before it left your possession. If the item has any identifying marks or Serial/Part numbers on it, be sure to capture those in your pics. This prevents any scammers from saying the item was sent damaged or trying to claim damage in transit. If a Buyer tried to claim “damages”, ask for further proof by having them send multiple pics of the original package, damages to item and those Serial/Part Numbers.

6) Always insure expensive or high end items (rule of thumb is anything over $100.00). Keep all Insurance or tracking numbers until Buyer has received the item.

7) If the venue you are using to sell an item has User Feedback or Trader Ratings, review the Buyer’s history. Not to short change those who are online to purchase their first item and have no such history, just be aware that not everyone is honest... Usually I would prefer to sell to a Buyer who has historical feedback over one without any, but CASH IS KING and in order to make a sale, you have to be open to selling to ANYONE...

—-

If selling locally, pick a mutual well known location (some PD’s offer their parking lot for such transactions). If you don’t want to do it at a PD parking lot, pick a local Bug Box store that has outside security cams. Always try to do your sale in daylight and bring a friend along for big ticket items.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
if you're using paypal, then make sure you withdrawl the funds from paypal, and dont have any payment accounts linked.

people have (and still do) file claims with paypal, AFTER they receive your item, and pay you for it, claiming something was wrong, then paypal will take the money from your account and give it back to them, so they get your item and a refund.

you can avoid this by using paypal "Friends and family" but some people wont do this as the buyer has no 'protection' when using this method..
Sponsored