Sponsored

safe to run ss brake lines on the street?

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
How are the ss lines compare to factory oem rubber lines? How long do they last compare to oem?

Also it says it will fit all mustangs with 6 piston. Does that include the shelby also?

These are the ones i am looking at. I like these because they have oem style ends unlike the competition.

http://www.classictube.com/sbh6464.html
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Do yourself the favor of not upgrading for a while . If your only driving on the streets and not road coursing . The stock brake lines are more than adequate .

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I have the Steeda hoses (made by Goodridge) and they firm up the brake padel feel and reduce braking efforts by a small margin. I was able to reuse them going from EBPP/base GT calipers to GTPP ones.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Do yourself the favor of not upgrading for a while . If your only driving on the streets and not road coursing . The stock brake lines are more than adequate .
Yeah I will just keep the stock ones. No benefits for street car at all.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Just found oit the Shelby front lines are about 1 inch longer.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The Goodridge SS lines are very high quality and offer superior performance as well as longevity over stock lines and other brand-X brake lines.

I’ve used them on prior Mustangs for street use. Sure, the stock rubber lines will last for a few years, but if you’re daily driving and in an all-season environment, over time the rubber lines will break down. The last thing anyone wants is unexpected brake line failure on the street or at a track...

The Goodridge SS lines are a worthwhile investment, even if the car is never tracked or used in timed events.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
The Goodridge SS lines are very high quality and offer superior performance as well as longevity over stock lines and other brand-X brake lines.

I’ve used them on prior Mustangs for street use. Sure, the stock rubber lines will last for a few years, but if you’re daily driving and in an all-season environment, over time the rubber lines will break down. The last thing anyone wants is unexpected brake line failure on the street or at a track...

The Goodridge SS lines are a worthwhile investment, even if the car is never tracked or used in timed events.
If you really want to justify mods sure, but I have 53 year old Mustang with original brake lines that are just fine, so I am sure stock one on S550 will last more than "few years"...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ I think I'd have concerns regarding ozone degradation by the time 50 years was up. More so for 1960's rubber compounding.

My '08 has SS lines, but for that car anywhere from 5% to 30% or more of its miles in any given track day season are accumulated out on a road course. I didn't make the switch to SS lines until after I'd run several events at the intermediate level.

Norm

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
↑↑↑ I think I'd have concerns regarding ozone degradation by the time 50 years was up. More so for 1960's rubber compounding.

My '08 has SS lines, but for that car anywhere from 5% to 30% or more of its miles in any given track day season are accumulated out on a road course. I didn't make the switch to SS lines until after I'd run several events at the intermediate level.

Norm
It was an extreme example and I will have them changed since I am rebuilding brakes anyway, but still... Not every mod needs a reasonable excuse, actually most "mods" people do are really for no reason...

Sponsored

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Stainless Steel brake lines are somewhat of a misnomer. You still have some type of rubber compound, but it is wrapped in stainless steel.
The wrapping reduces the swelling of the compound that is used to contain the fluid due to high pressures.
Aircraft use these in hydraulic systems that are running over 3000 PSI. Yes, even smaller aircraft use them, pretty much as setting an aviation standard.

Some of those rice cars have cloth wrapped coolant hoses that also reduce swelling. Same compound but wrapped in a cloth type mesh.

In summary, Stainless steel lines also degrade over time. The Stainless steel is simply a wrap. Looks cool though.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It was an extreme example and I will have them changed since I am rebuilding brakes anyway, but still...
It's been over 20 years since I worked on a 1960's car . . . I hope things like these flexible brake lines are still available and of decent quality.

Not every mod needs a reasonable excuse
Probably true in many cases. Though I'd be hard-pressed to think of any I've ever done that wasn't reasonably well thought-out first (I'm too cheap to risk regretting what I might be about to do, but on the other hand I've thrown 4-digit money at mods I knew were going to fix some shortcoming the way I wanted it fixed).

Norm

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Not every mod needs a reasonable excuse, actually most "mods" people do are really for no reason...
I wouldn't go as far as what Cobra Jet said but SS braided lines do have a noticeable effect of slightly increased pedal firmness and slightly reduced braking effort which I'd consider as a benefit. Now, will it reduce stopping distance on a street car? Probably not since street tires will lock up and ABS kick in far before brake fade starts to kick in and every ounce of effort is required to stop the car.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Stainless Steel brake lines are somewhat of a misnomer. You still have some type of rubber compound, but it is wrapped in stainless steel.
The wrapping reduces the swelling of the compound that is used to contain the fluid due to high pressures.
Absolutely correct. The stainless steel wrap reduces expansion and contraction cycles, on both brake and coolant hoses, and thereby increases the life of the rubber hose. A typical street driver would probably not notice the difference in daily driving and I don't think that in that case it is a necessary upgrade. If you are driving an older car, you should make a habit of checking the brake hoses whenever you have access to them, either when the wheels are off or you are under the car and can look at them from there. Typical failure is at the point where the hose is crimped to the end, I have seen many bulged hoses at that point, and once they start doing that they need to be changed.
Sponsored