S650 Mustang Opinions/Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
First things first, the intention of this thread is to give opinions on what how you think Ford will design the S650.

Second, this is also a wishlist for things you want or don't want on the S650.

Third, there are many expectations that drive a concept to fruition.

I think it's safe to say we would all like a car that looks like a mustang, with a GT option that can outperform the American competition.

Some people will want a pony-car that keeps true to the original formula, offering sporty characteristics that can be obtained for a reasonable price with room in the back for small children.

Some people will want a more sophisticated sportscoupe that can compete with the best that Germany has to offer, yet for a fraction of the cost.

Some people will want a mustang that can compete against the likes of tenured sports-cars (Corvette, 911, etc.)

I would like to try and avoid the whole standard tech vs entry-level price debate, as upgraded equipment can always be optioned, and that horse has been beat to death in the 2018 refresh thread.

This thread is a first principle exercise of what could motivate the design and fruition of the next big thing. All Speculation, regardless of probability is welcome. Exotic configuration changes are encouraged. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you. We all have our hot buttons.

So what is your hearts desire for the S650 platform.

TL;DR Speculate on what you think or want the S650 to be.
Sponsored

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I would like to know how Ford came up with the model numbers of the Mustang generations.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
For me, S650 doesn't need to be radical. Ford found a great recipe for success with S550, so S650 just needs to be a good revision.

Weight:
Lose 200-300lb (extensive use of aluminum/light weight materials)

Size:
Keep it the same. The 2+2 with a decent trunk makes this a car you don't need to make excuses for. It needs a level of practicality

Engines:
2.3 4-cylinder Ecoboost as the entry level
2.7 (or 3.5) V6 Ecoboost for the mid-range (today's GT price point)
5.2 CPC next-gen Coyote V8 (lower production numbers than today's V8 - perhaps badge as Mach 1 only)

Or.....4.7 CPC twin turbo V8 (289 Ecoboost).

Styling:
Make it recognisable as a relation to S550. Add more edge to (as per Kamal Curic's original design). Long nose/short deck is a given. As are triple tail lights. The look could move away (slightly) from the "Ford Family Face".

S550%202018%20v2_zpssykevvtf.jpg

153c1a35016443.56e6e0982b039.jpg

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
For me, S650 doesn't need to be radical. Ford found a great recipe for success with S550, so S650 just needs to be a good revision.

Weight:
Lose 200-300lb (extensive use of aluminum/light weight materials)

Size:
Keep it the same. The 2+2 with a decent trunk makes this a car you don't need to make excuses for. It needs a level of practicality

Engines:
2.3 4-cylinder Ecoboost as the entry level
2.7 (or 3.5) V6 Ecoboost for the mid-range (today's GT price point)
5.2 CPC next-gen Coyote V8 (lower production numbers than today's V8 - perhaps badge as Mach 1 only)

Or.....4.7 CPC twin turbo V8 (289 Ecoboost).

Styling:
Make it recognisable as a relation to S550. Add more edge to (as per Kamal Curic's original design). Long nose/short deck is a given. As are triple tail lights. The look could move away (slightly) from the "Ford Family Face".
As far as interior dimensions go, 2+2 seating at existing proportions with a large trunk would be my preference.

As far as engine tech goes, I think the entry level option is too far out to define. The 2.3 is an excellent motor, but I'm not sure it has enough power potential to compete with the next gen competition. Conversely, the 2.7 would probably be a step in the wrong direction concerning CAFE standards. Perhaps an SVO model with a 2.7 could happen. Either way, I don't see a V6 in this equation, NA or EB, unless it was a very limited specialty model.

I believe the 5.0L could grow to 5.4 or even 5.8L for the GT, but with variable displacement tech to offset or perhaps even improve the fuel economy. I expect a V8 with 500 ftlbs will be the benchmark for all seventh gen cars.

However, Ford could release a 4.0L Twin Turbo V8 and surprise us all, though I would expect this to be a Mach 1 or otherwise specialty upgrade.

I agree on the styling as well, though I question the feasibility of stanping sheet metal of that contrast level in a mass production facility.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I disagree with the squat stance massive roller wheels look. That is Camaro territory.

As for appearance, a moderate smoothing of the S550 and maybe some front end changes is all I'd like to see. Use of more aluminum in the suspension and body is a must to drop weight. The technology is in use in the F150 already so it shouldn't be cost prohibitive now to use it in the Mustang/Shelby platform. Then there should be a better offering for the the performance crowds the single flavor performance package is kind of limiting. Why not have a two tiered offering PP1 and PP2.

"PP One" should be useful for the Drag racer crowd with proven wheel hop solution suspension and rear axle ratios. This would be available with Manual or auto trans with the axle ratio being decided by the trans selected. Eco or GT models.

"PP Two" should be the track handling solution, this should be offered with manual only and maybe should include the GM electric suspension also offered in the Shelby. This should be available in the Eco or GT models.

I also think the base Eco and GT models should be fitted with suspensions that continue to make them great everyday handling cars like they are now.

As for engines, who knows what will be available. More usage of the Turbo option wouldn't be bad but it needs to be on a more robust engine. The little 4cyl is blowing up too often. The current Coyote could be upgraded a bit as has been shown and the Voodoo could be offered as available with selection of one of the Performance Packages. This might threaten the Shelby sales but on the other hand the Shelbys could be fitted with turbo/supercharged Voodoos.

They definitely need to improve the base manual trans and it's shifter or maybe offer the Tremec as an option if you select either PP. The Auto trans is pretty damn good as it is. If they make a 10 spd model it had better come with programming to allow it to only use 5 or 6 select ratios when in Sport+ or Track mode. Normal mode it will save gas by using all 10 ratios.

Well thats all I could come up with.

Last edited:

Sponsored

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
I can't post what I would like I might get warned again and do not want to have that happen

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
I would like to know how Ford came up with the model numbers of the Mustang generations.
It's the number of chassis designs/modifications they made before deciding on the final design.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I would like to see a lot more attention to detail and quality. Fix all the rattles, vibrations and panel alignment. If it's meant to compete with BMW and Porsche, this has to be priority #1.

As far as features, I think there should be just a little more separation between a sport/performance model retaining rear wheel drive and then do whatever styling queues deemed appropriate and an every day commuter car that gets good gas mileage, has all wheel drive but still has the Mustang styling.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I do not see Ford going up in displacement for the GT. They have and will have the means to improve the 5.0 and keep that marketing gem in their line up. Ecoboost technology should find it's way into the V8. Ford has that gorilla (CAFE) on their backs as well.

Honestly, I feel they could drop any V6 offering at this point. The 2.3 Ecoboost makes as much power as the 3.7 V6 and has far more potential.

Design...I have no idea where that might go. I think Ford did such a great job with the S550. It will be a tough act to follow. Some weight loss would be a good thing though.

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
1) All-aluminum body. If it's good for the F-150, it's good for the S650. Drop at least 200-300 lbs.

2) 10-speed auto with manual mode using 6 or 7 gears max. Better 6-speed manual.

3) Magneride standard.

4) One piece carbon-fiber driveshaft.

5) Rotary flow-formed "forged" one-piece wheels to save weight and have better durability than cheap cast wheels.

6) Active exhaust with quad-tips.

7) 4.7L Ecoboost "Hot-V" Twin Turbo V8 and 2.7L or 3.0L EBTT V-6 (no 4-bangers).

8) CAI standard with ram-air through the grill and hood.

9) Recaros with heat/cool/power.

10) Greatly improved stereo (Bose, Sony, Harmon-Kardan).

11) Heads-up display with speedo, tach, fuel, water temp, oil pressure, and oil temp gauges.

12) Targa-roof edition (a la Corvette).

That's my 12-step program.

Sponsored

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
S550%202018%20v2_zpssykevvtf.jpg

153c1a35016443.56e6e0982b039.jpg

I'd love if they go the route in design like the gray Stang with blue stripes.

First wish, lose 250-300lbs
2nd, front-end to distance itself from other Fords
3rd, keep the 5.0 with at least 460 hp and 440+ of torque
4th, the tach/speed fonts more retro similar to the S197.
5th, switch base engine and make a detuned Eco the base and the natural aspirated 6 the mid engine upgrade with at least 350 hp and 340 of torque
6th, a louder GT exhaust
7th, Nicer materials with flat bottom steering wheel across the lineup.
8th, PLEASE produce twice the amount of GT350s so dealers can stop taking advantage of customers with mark-ups.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I would like to see a lot more attention to detail and quality. Fix all the rattles, vibrations and panel alignment. If it's meant to compete with BMW and Porsche, this has to be priority #1.

As far as features, I think there should be just a little more separation between a sport/performance model retaining rear wheel drive and then do whatever styling queues deemed appropriate and an every day commuter car that gets good gas mileage, has all wheel drive but still has the Mustang styling.
BMW's fitment isn't any better than the current mustang. In some ways, I believe it's inferior.

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
1) Aluminum body and extensive use of carbon composites

2) 5.0L Coyote with Direct Injection making 450hp with lots of bottom end

3) 6 or 7 speed dual clutch transmission

4) Evolutionary design from the current starting point, the S550 has been one of the most successful yet especially in bringing over people who would have never looked at a Mustang before, no need to radically change it

MattW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT w/ PP
So guessing this is a 2025-ish release?

I'm guessing no naturally aspirated options: all w/ turbo and maybe energy recovery.

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
BMW's fitment isn't any better than the current mustang. In some ways, I believe it's inferior.
Having owned several BMWs, I have to agree. Ford's interiors are really not bad. The materials may not be on par with BMW, but the fit and finish definitely is. My wife was a die-hard BMW SUV girl and even she admits that the Explorer feels almost as nice.

Where Ford really shines is reliability. I've had FAR less problems with all my Ford products than I ever did with the BMWs we owned. The last X5 we had needed some kind of fiddly warranty work done every single time we took it in for an oil change, and it became a chore since we live 100mi from the nearest BMW dealership. It got so bad that we finally convinced BMW to buy it back because they tried to kill us with it (long story). Needless to say after that, my desire to continue owning BMWs went away pretty quick.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.