Not open for further replies.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
"Lastly, we come to Mustang. Sales for Ford’s pony car have been falling in recent years and thanks to a recent job posting from Ford, we know an all-new car (dubbed S650 internally) is coming in 2022 as a 2023 model. Our insider offers a bit more insight, saying it will launch the last week of June 2022. Furthermore, it won’t be an entirely new car – it will still utilize a variation of the current platform and we’re told it will only stick around for about five years. Beyond that, a completely new Mustang is expected at some point beyond 2025."

https://www.motor1.com/news/397868/ford-insider-reveals-mustang-f-150-bronco/

Sounds like the S650 is shaping up to be the 2010MY of the S550 generation. New sheet metal and powertrains before being replaced by a completely new architecture (highly electrified new generation if it's after the 25MY)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
This is my driving position. No one is sitting behind me unless they are sideways. I don't care if you are 5'10" or 3'10".
20190420_172235.jpg
Well, technically you could accomodate a bilateral above the knee amputee.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Sounds like the S650 is shaping up to be the 2010MY of the S550 generation. New sheet metal and powertrains before being replaced by a completely new architecture (highly electrified new generation if it's after the 25MY)
Quite possibly, that's no bad thing (although the '10 only got the new body/interior, the engine and trans upgrades came with the '11MY ;) )

Significant tweaks to an already impressive (if not class leading in terms of dynamics) chassis will still give us the best Mustang ever.

I remember the first time I drove a '10 GT. The suspension and steering were soooooo much better than the earlier S197s....it was like driving a totally different car. Pretty amazing when you consider it was just tweaks to the existing components.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, given where the automotive industry is heading (this time last year I'd have laughed at you if you said there would be an all electric Mustang SUV!!).....I'm just glad Ford are still developing an improved pony car for us.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
In the back of my mind I'm preparing for the "final V8 purchase" of a sports car counting down the days. Once it's official, I'm putting in my custom order for whatever it may be, normal Mustang, Mach 1, etc.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
I would love it if they could get the Mustang on a diet.

Slim it back down to 70 inches wide and shorten the overall length about 18 or so.
18"?! That would make it 10" shorter than a Fox, and 11" shorter than a 1st Gen. Hell, it would be 5" shorter than a Mustang II, and only 3" longer than a Subaru FRS with its little flat-4.

I think everyone wants the Mustang to be somewhat smaller, but that is completely unrealistic -- a Mustang with no cargo space, and less room in the back seat than it already has would be a flop. You are talking about a small Boy Racer car for that is in a completely different class.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If S650 really is "just" a thoroughly reworked S550, I think you can pretty much guarantee it's going to be the same size n weight it is now.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
18"?! That would make it 10" shorter than a Fox, and 11" shorter than a 1st Gen. Hell, it would be 5" shorter than a Mustang II, and only 3" longer than a Subaru FRS with its little flat-4.

I think everyone wants the Mustang to be somewhat smaller, but that is completely unrealistic -- a Mustang with no cargo space, and less room in the back seat than it already has would be a flop. You are talking about a small Boy Racer car for that is in a completely different class.

If you’re talking about a car size of frs, I’d never buy one. It’s a shoebox

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Define smaller? Is it interior volume, wheelbase or what? Just because a car is long does not make it have lots of interior room.

Is an M2 small?
176.2 L x 73 W x 55.5 H and a wheelbase of 106.0" and only weighs 3561 lbs. It is 12" shorter, 300 lbs lighter and yet has a longer engine (inline 6) than the Mustang . Even though it is smaller in exterior dimensions, it has 89.7 cu ft of interior volume. It has more interior room than the 2019 Mustang!!

So the M2 has smaller exterior dimensions, less weight and more interior room. Ford start taking notes!!!

A BRZ is 167″ L x 70″ W x 51″ H. I agree that it should be bigger but let's also realize that the BRZ has a 101" wheelbase while the huge Mustang is only 107". In ordr to gain 6" of wheelbase the Mustang has 21 inches in added length and 6 inches in width and much of that space it taken over by a wide armrest and fat doors. The 2019 Mustang has 82.2 cu ft of interior volume and the BRZ has 76.5 cu ft. Some of that volume loss is due to being 3 inches shorter in height. Interior wise, The BRZ is very close to the interior of a Mustang

I think the BRZ does more with less exterior space.

My 2010 Scion TC, granted only a 4 cyllinder, is also smaller(174 L x 69 W x 55.7 H) a similar wheelbase (106.3") but had a much more usable back seat with the same trunk space as a 2019 Mustang. I was able to fit 4 adults in that car easily (shorter ones in the back) even with me, 6'1" driving. the TC had 88.4 cu ft of space.

looking back in history,

The 1965 Mustang was 181.6" L x 68.3" W and it has more interior room than the 2019 and more trunk space. It also only weighed 2740 lbs.

The 1969 Mustang was 187.5"L x 71.7" W. Still narrower than the current Mustang but about the same length. It only weighed 3122 lbs.

They use to be able to make a lighter car and it was smaller even in its heyday.

All I am saying is that We have gains a ton of weight and dimensions and did not gain any of it in its interior space nor trunk.

To me the Mustang should be 180 L x 72 W x 49 H with 88 cu ft interior and a 16 ct ft trunk. Move the front tires forward and remove the dead space and give it to the interior and the trunk and shed the extra useless weight. They won't do this because it would move the Mustang to a lower max CO2 limit and it is easier to make a fat pig and increase the min limit due to it being a bigger car.

Sponsored

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
If you’re talking about a car size of frs, I’d never buy one. It’s a shoebox
I wouldn't either. I think the Mustang would sell about as good as the FRS if the made it 5" narrower and 18" shorter, which is not very. I think SN95/New Edge would be a good size for most people -- right in between a S550 and a Fox.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
IF the M2 Comp can do it, why can't the Mustang. The SN95, as pointed out above, was 183.3 L: x 73.1 W x 53.1 H with a 101.3 wheel base and 83 cu ft of interior volume. It had the same V8 block, roughly, in there. OK it was a 4.6 but it took up the same space as a 5.0L.

The SN95 has less exterior dimensions and yet has 2 cu ft more interior room!!

The SN95 only weighed 3276 lbs. IT is about 600 lbs lighter than the s550!!

I would love to see modern tech in a car this size with BMW space smarts. You do not need a big car to have reasonable room.

If everyone wants a bigger and bigger Mustang, why not just buy yourself a sedan? We all know that during the muscle car era, those big cars were good for nothing more than driving in straight line. Does anyone want to compete on the track? Seems like, dare I say it, the Camaro did and they made a great track capable car. they need to make it more daily drive-able.

So in recent memory, they were able to make a slightly smaller car that has MORE interior space than the S550 and weighs less!!

If more size means more weight, longer wheelbase and poorer handling, why do you want more?

The Mustang is a pony car and not a midsize or larger sedan. Much like most of America, it needs to slim down and go on a diet.

Why do you want a large boat to drive. I thought that thinking died in the 70's with all those land yachts.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
By the way, the venerable Fox body mustangs were smaller too than the S550

a 1984 Mustang GT was
179.3 L x 69.1 W x 52.1 H . Still smaller than a S550.

The 1984 GT hatchback weighed about 3167 lbs. 600+ lbs lighter than a S550.

Interior volume was 83 cu ft so about the same as the S550. Oddly enough, the back seat WAS USABLE in a Fox body. Same volume but better usage of space.

What did Ford do with all those engineers that knew how to make a car lighter and reasonable for a sporty pony car with muscle.

Put a S550 drivetrain and suspension in one of these and look out!!

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
By the way, the venerable Fox body mustangs were smaller too than the S550

a 1984 Mustang GT was
179.3 L x 69.1 W x 52.1 H . Still smaller than a S550.

The 1984 GT hatchback weighed about 3167 lbs. 600+ lbs lighter than a S550.

Interior volume was 83 cu ft so about the same as the S550. Oddly enough, the back seat WAS USABLE in a Fox body. Same volume but better usage of space.

What did Ford do with all those engineers that knew how to make a car lighter and reasonable for a sporty pony car with muscle.

Put a S550 drivetrain and suspension in one of these and look out!!
Yes, with 1980s safety gear, crash standards, and pedestrian safety standards.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Is an M2 small?
176.2 L x 73 W x 55.5 H and a wheelbase of 106.0" and only weighs 3561 lbs. It is 12" shorter, 300 lbs lighter and yet has a longer engine (inline 6) than the Mustang . Even though it is smaller in exterior dimensions, it has 89.7 cu ft of interior volume. It has more interior room than the 2019 Mustang!!

So the M2 has smaller exterior dimensions, less weight and more interior room. Ford start taking notes!!!

A BRZ is 167″ L x 70″ W x 51″ H. I agree that it should be bigger but let's also realize that the BRZ has a 101" wheelbase while the huge Mustang is only 107". In ordr to gain 6" of wheelbase the Mustang has 21 inches in added length and 6 inches in width and much of that space it taken over by a wide armrest and fat doors. The 2019 Mustang has 82.2 cu ft of interior volume and the BRZ has 76.5 cu ft. Some of that volume loss is due to being 3 inches shorter in height. Interior wise, The BRZ is very close to the interior of a Mustang

I think the BRZ does more with less exterior space.

My 2010 Scion TC, granted only a 4 cyllinder, is also smaller(174 L x 69 W x 55.7 H) a similar wheelbase (106.3") but had a much more usable back seat with the same trunk space as a 2019 Mustang. I was able to fit 4 adults in that car easily (shorter ones in the back) even with me, 6'1" driving. the TC had 88.4 cu ft of space.
The Mustang and M2 are in a completely different class. And there is a reason the M2's starting price is $23,000 more than a GT -- you pay to have the technology that allows you to down-size, light-weight, and package the car like a sardine can.

The BRZ/FRS has 1/2 the trunk space of a GT, and a chassis built to handle a 200hp flat-4 -- that's why it is afforded interior room . Once you add length to the front to REALISTICALLY fit a V8 and it's cooling, add an actual trunk, SOME refinement, save room for future hi-po models with superchargers/turbos, intercoolers, heat exchangers, a chassis that can handle the power, and you crash test it, you are going to have a bigger/heavier car.

You can't even compare your TC -- it front wheel drive. Not even remotely similar.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.