S550 mustang rear end noise

sionpopo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zion
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang v6
Hello! Thanks for adding me first of all!
I currently own 2017 Mustang V6 with roush axleback exhaust on. Ive been owning this car for about 1 and half year and only 16k miles put on it. Now it has two noise problems, both of them from rear end.

First noise.

Heres my version of noise record. So the noise happens when incline begins or whenever car goes through driveway incline in front of my garage. And the sound only happens in low speed under 15mph... I have read several forums from here and few other places, however I am not really sure the noise I copy is same as those. Some says it is the rear seat bracket that is dried up and some says it is rear flange that is making noise. For the rear seat bracket, way to configure it was to fold the rear seat and try to copy the noise. In result, I still had the same noise whether the seat was folded or not. I have taken to the dealership and they think it is suspension problem so they changed the rear suspension. The noise was gone for one week and it started again.

Second noise.

I have taken it to three different dealership and all of them said it is normal or they have no way to fix that... This ticking noise that sounds like wood breaking comes from rear end. I think it happens whenever the torque is applied to drive shaft. I know that there should be play between driveshaft and differential gear, however I dont think the play justifies the noise. It is pretty loud and irritating. I have no clue where to start with...

So yea... Ive attached videos that copy exact same sound as I hear. I believe many owners experience similar noise problems on this car because serviceman at the dealer said it is common noise from mustang... Please kindly share your experience with these noise issues :)

Thanks!
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
First noise is totally normal. I’m at my dad’s place right now and when I back down his inclined driveway onto the street backing up that incline I hear the same thing. It’s just the body and suspension doing its thing. This is a Mustang and not a Rolls Royce.

The second noise I never heard. Sounds like something dragging under the car. And then I hear you did some mods. So get under there and make sure it’s not your fault. Then see the dealer again.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
I have a similar noise when backing up like that out of a moderate driveway incline. An odd almost metallic like chatter / clicking that is pretty faint sounding, but there.

OP
OP

sionpopo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zion
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang v6
First noise is totally normal. I’m at my dad’s place right now and when I back down his inclined driveway onto the street backing up that incline I hear the same thing. It’s just the body and suspension doing its thing. This is a Mustang and not a Rolls Royce.

The second noise I never heard. Sounds like something dragging under the car. And then I hear you did some mods. So get under there and make sure it’s not your fault. Then see the dealer again.
For the second noise, It was gone for a day after someone hit and run my car into right rear end in parking lot. I took it to the bodyshop and somehow I hear the noise again. I might troubleshoot with friend of mine nextweek. Ill let you know whats wrong with second noise!

OP
OP

sionpopo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zion
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang v6
I have a similar noise when backing up like that out of a moderate driveway incline. An odd almost metallic like chatter / clicking that is pretty faint sounding, but there.
Did you fix it yet?
How do you deal with those noises??

Sponsored

akl777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Akhil
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ecobeast PP 2016
Did you fix it yet?
How do you deal with those noises??
Hey Sionpopo,

I am having the exact noise similar to the second one....I've been to the dealer in Maryland 4 times and still no solution. The mechanic says it's normal.
still trying to figure out the solution.

akl777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Akhil
Vehicle(s)
do you think the noise from the second video could be due to a bad Transmission Solenoid ?

OP
OP

sionpopo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zion
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang v6
Hey Sionpopo,

I am having the exact noise similar to the second one....I've been to the dealer in Maryland 4 times and still no solution. The mechanic says it's normal.
So I kinda tracked down the noise to be the rear bumper gap squeaking... I am going to take it to body shop and take off the rear bumper. That way if it is the bumper whats making noise then Ill do something with it. Otherwise I have to start from there to see what the problem is. There is a great local tuning shop helping me out configuring noises! I will let you know. However as far as I experienced、 there are multiple causes for such noises. Ill update in one or two weeks! Please keep update too! Thanks

zahimrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zahi
Vehicle(s)
GT PP 2015
I have first noise as well and i think its normal don't worry about it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sionpopo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zion
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang v6
Hey Sionpopo,

So today, I let my friend drive my car and I was trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. I folded the rear seat and went into the trunk to figure out. Im still not sure about the cause but I hear sound source to be car frame as in picture attached... I have no clue whats going on and this is like wtf panic moment.....
20190227_152105.jpg

akl777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Akhil
Vehicle(s)
So today, I let my friend drive my car and I was trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. I folded the rear seat and went into the trunk to figure out. Im still not sure about the cause but I hear sound source to be car frame as in picture attached... I have no clue whats going on and this is like wtf panic moment.....
20190227_152105.jpg
yeah. The dealer is saying it's normal and is asking me to keep drying.. like wtf ?
I'm planning to go to another dealer.

OP
OP

sionpopo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zion
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang v6
yeah. The dealer is saying it's normal and is asking me to keep drying.. like wtf ?
I'm planning to go to another dealer.

I took the cargo cloth covers off and went in while my friend drives. I hear the sound from the frame... wtf? Its where rear right seat belt refractor is...

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you knock this out yet. I have the same noise as the first one I think. And maybe it started after I reupholstered the seats. So now I'm about to go take a look at the seat belt assemblies and seat brackets.
Sponsored