S550 Mustang Installation Series by Five Star Car Stereo

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
For those interested, Five Star Car Stereo has started to issue their S550 Mustang installation videos. Here’s the first of the two already posted:
Sponsored

Bryantbjb12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryant
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT CS, 2021 F350 Tremor
Yes. I’m glued to it right now thanks for posting.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Please take note of the popups in the video regarding the T-harness from idatalink for the shaker systems!
Even they state in the comments that it shouldn't be overlooked!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey guys, a semi-related question. Many folks say to cut the green wire to disable the center speaker on the B&O system, because it sounds like crap. What I want to do instead is to cut one of the wires, and put a toggle switch, so I can cut it, or put it back to stock. But the question for the experts here is WHICH of the wires is better to cut and route thru a toggle switch: The green one (+), or the yellow/gray one (-)??? At least one guy already did that and did it with the green, but want to make sure it's the best one :). Thank you.

By the way, those 2 wires are in the middle (gray) connector in my car, rather than on the rear one (brown), but I don't think there're TWO identical wires, right? Need to look closely, but just want to make sure. I'll also make sure it's a thick wire, and not a thin one, which are not speakers. I'm not going to replace my B&O, but learned a lot with those 2 videos. Thank you for posting them :D.

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
Hey guys, a semi-related question. Many folks say to cut the green wire to disable the center speaker on the B&O system, because it sounds like crap. What I want to do instead is to cut one of the wires, and put a toggle switch, so I can cut it, or put it back to stock. But the question for the experts here is WHICH of the wires is better to cut and route thru a toggle switch: The green one (+), or the yellow/gray one (-)??? At least one guy already did that and did it with the green, but want to make sure it's the best one :). Thank you.

By the way, those 2 wires are in the middle (gray) connector in my car, rather than on the rear one (brown), but I don't think there're TWO identical wires, right? Need to look closely, but just want to make sure. I'll also make sure it's a thick wire, and not a thin one, which are not speakers. I'm not going to replace my B&O, but learned a lot with those 2 videos. Thank you for posting them :D.
I hate cutting wires. I just unplugged the center speaker. I know some don't like the idea of taking the dash apart, but really it's not that hard.
I used the instructions from Crutchfield. Just needed a pry tool for the panels. Be careful not to loose the clips. The main vent panel is solid and don't worry it won't bend. After you take the small panel near the glove box, Pry from right toward the center, Then just pry up the speaker cover panel.

And i agree that speaker is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It takes all the stereo separation away, and sounds awful.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Was just coming to post this! These guys do a great job on their videos. Awesome to see them do an S550! It’s the 9-speaker system.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I already removed that stupid center piece to install the GT350 gauge pod, and don't want to do it again. Lost some clips that found later except one, but had extras. But the main problem was the plastic part that holds the metal clip of the little part next to the glovebox deforms when you pull on the little part, and never fits like factory again. Had to spend hours fixing that.

At any rate, I hate cutting wires too, but it's never going to be used again if speaker is disconnected, so rather cut it and crimp it to install a toggle switch, to have the option to connect or disconnect the speaker. In navigation mode, for instance, the system's voice comes over that speaker mainly, no? Still not sure if I'll do it or not, but need to know which wire is better to cut: positive or negative. Does anybody know? Thank you.

OP
OP
OF5.0

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I already removed that stupid center piece to install the GT350 gauge pod, and don't want to do it again. Lost some clips that found later except one, but had extras. But the main problem was the plastic part that holds the metal clip of the little part next to the glovebox deforms when you pull on the little part, and never fits like factory again. Had to spend hours fixing that.

At any rate, I hate cutting wires too, but it's never going to be used again if speaker is disconnected, so rather cut it and crimp it to install a toggle switch, to have the option to connect or disconnect the speaker. In navigation mode, for instance, the system's voice comes over that speaker mainly, no? Still not sure if I'll do it or not, but need to know which wire is better to cut: positive or negative. Does anybody know? Thank you.
Honestly, since the signal is AC in nature, I don’t think it matters which wire you are using for the switch.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
It doesn't matter which center speaker wire you open to insert a switch into. Chose one with the most slack if possible. But be absolutely certain you are cutting the right wire! AFAIK there isn't anything different about the Bullitt audio system wiring except for the fact it uses noise cancellation and all that wiring is well documented.
Having no center speaker has little to no effect on the NAV or Sync voice. It sounds just fine through the door speakers only.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
AFAIK there isn't anything different about the Bullitt audio system wiring except for the fact it uses noise cancellation and all that wiring is well documented.
Well, the consensus is it does NOT have ANC, since there're no microphones at the back of the car. And the car is not quiet, so doubt any quieter than a regular GT. It does have fake engine noise (which I disabled) thru the stereo system, but that's it.

And thank you for letting me know if doesn't matter which wire you cut. I'd cut the green, like everybody else, but maybe I won't have to. Supposedly using surround minimizes use of the center speaker (which doesn't make sense to me), so will play more with the stereo before deciding if I add that switch or not. I honestly don't see the glaring overpowering of the center speaker (I use surround mode), so maybe that has some truth. That's why I was curious about hearing the audio back to back with and without the center speaker. But will play with the surround and stereo modes, and see if I can hear a difference. Supposedly stereo shouldn't use the center channel at all, but reportedly it's the opposite. We'll see :). Thanks again.
Sponsored