Sponsored

S550 Mustang GT PP long term reliability, and resale value?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, the aftermarket will likely cover the bases. You'll probably be able to source most things on Rock Auto, although you'll have the usual share of import garbage. And there are those that will prefer original parts.

I'm a keep it simple dinosaur, and some of the complexity I see on new vehicles (beyond Mustangs) is ludicrous. To put it politely. It doesn't bode well for longevity.
My only real complaint with the Coyote is the over reliance on plastic hose connections that inevitably always fail just out of warranty. The Y pipe at the thermostat housing inlet is particularly notorious.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Well I am planning on pulling the trigger on getting a 2021 Mustang GT PP, over the 2021 WRX Sti. I am coming from a Honda Civic Si, and never had a domestic car prior to this. So I am not going to lie a little nervous (this is a big purchase). The thing is I am hoping and want this to be a car that I keep for the long term. The main reason I am nervous, is because I have never had a domestic car. Not to mention the whole stigma behind domestics not being reliable, can't handle good, heavy and gas guzzlers. This generation mustang I realize yeah it might not be a gas sipper, but compared to the STI (which gets the same gas mileage), it is pretty good. Then I keep hearing that these new body style Mustangs actually put up a fight in the corners. I do live in Florida, where it does rain quite a bit (which would lend itself for the STI and it's AWD). Just want to get some feed back.

P.S. I have had a Front Engine, RWD car before, but not as powerful as this car (Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t). Not to mention I plan on keeping it stock for a while, at least until the warranty is up. I do drive a lot, so I want to get a car I feel I'll enjoy.
Question- would you expect someone here to tell you the car was crappy even if it was? It isnā€™t, but, if youā€™re looking for unbiased comparison you arenā€™t going to get that here. Try independent reviews as opposed to a brand model fan site.
If youā€™re expecting a nimble car like the wrx or civic youā€™ll be sadly disappointed. Youā€™ll have other attributes, but make NO mistake. This car is a TANK compared to the toys you had. No reliability issues Iā€™ve seen though, except one warranty A/C evap.
#2 The AWD WRX is amazing during heavy downpours where the GT can be dangerous under the same circumstances if not used carefully.

Last edited:

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
You bring up an interesting question, with the major electric vehicle push over the next few years (2-5) will the resale of a car like the Mustang GT take a devastating hit on the resale market? Thatā€™s a question Iā€™m throwing out to the general forum population. I believe it does, a stock GT gets boring pretty quick (E85, other supporting mods blah blah) PP/Non PP doesnā€™t matter. I just donā€™t see buyers seeking out 4,000 pound V8s & willing to drop fair market value on these cars.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You bring up an interesting question, with the major electric vehicle push over the next few years (2-5) will the resale of a car like the Mustang GT take a devastating hit on the resale market? Thatā€™s a question Iā€™m throwing out to the general forum population. I believe it does, a stock GT gets boring pretty quick (E85, other supporting mods blah blah) PP/Non PP doesnā€™t matter. I just donā€™t see buyers seeking out 4,000 pound V8s & willing to drop fair market value on these cars.
There will always be a small portion of the population that will value v8 powered and manual transmission vehicles like this. I don't expect a regular GT to actually appreciate, but it will probably won't drop like a rock either.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There will always be a small portion of the population that will value v8 powered and manual transmission vehicles like this. I don't expect a regular GT to actually appreciate, but it will probably won't drop like a rock either.
It will depend on what the automakers build. If the next 20 years give us lots of fast, inexpensive and convenient cars, the current vehicles will go down in value. If all the cars are over-priced, expensive or dangerous to repair, can't be owned conveniently unless you have a garage and extra money for spare cars, take longer than 2 minutes to refuel, have no manual transmissions, no V8 engines, yada yada then we may all own collectible vehicles.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I had a 2008 Civic Si that I bought new. Went through 3 different left front struts before the dealership finally fixed the popping noise. Panel gap became so bad on the front passengers door it started rubbing the fender. Rear spoiler rubber seam came loose. Back seat on the driverā€™s side window came off track lol All fixed under warranty with less than 1000 miles on it. I hadnā€™t even made a payment yet with all that crap happening.

So donā€™t believe that Honda or any other car maker is high and mighty. Every brand pumps out a turd now and then.
There are always outliers, products that fall on the fringes of the bell curve but statistically, Civics are great cars for reliability and durability. If you had to pick a car to keep 300K miles, you'd be a fool to take a Mustang over a Civic or Corolla. I wouldn't even consider buying a 100k mile Mustang unless it was stupid cheap. But a 100K mile Civic I wouldn't bat an eye at. But if it's a play car, the criteria are different. Everyone has their own use case and has to decide what will work for them within their budget. That's why he asked the question, initially.

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
I rarely keep a car longer than 10 years or ~150000 miles. 10 years is a long ass time! Iā€™ll pick a mustang over a civic if I can afford it every single time

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
I've had both, 2013 STI and 2015 GT PP. I didn't find the STI as fun to drive unless it was a heavy snowfall (I'm in Canada).

Everyone seems to think the STI is this lightweight nimble sports car. It isn't. I found it felt heavier to drive than my Mustang, mostly due to the combination of the AWD system and turbo lag/poor pedal response.

The other factor that really bothered me was Subaru as a company was a pain in the ass when it came to mods. I'd take the car in for regular maintenance and there'd be highlighted notes "Car is now modified -- customer has xxxx installed which voids warranty". I wrote a letter to both the dealership and Subaru about this and both said it was completely justified, claiming "We don't permit modifications, as we feel the car is sufficient as is." I should add that this was just a drop in K&N filter. Subaru loves to sell them based on their "tuner" reputation, but they seem to turn their backs on you when you've attempted to make it yours.

I track my Mustang, mod it anyway I want within reason and have yet to hear or see anything appear from any visits from the dealership. The car is almost always met with praise and enthusiasm from the staff when I pick it up.

That's my experience owning both.

Treefrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium
Well I am planning on pulling the trigger on getting a 2021 Mustang GT PP, over the 2021 WRX Sti. I am coming from a Honda Civic Si, and never had a domestic car prior to this. So I am not going to lie a little nervous (this is a big purchase). The thing is I am hoping and want this to be a car that I keep for the long term. The main reason I am nervous, is because I have never had a domestic car. Not to mention the whole stigma behind domestics not being reliable, can't handle good, heavy and gas guzzlers. This generation mustang I realize yeah it might not be a gas sipper, but compared to the STI (which gets the same gas mileage), it is pretty good. Then I keep hearing that these new body style Mustangs actually put up a fight in the corners. I do live in Florida, where it does rain quite a bit (which would lend itself for the STI and it's AWD). Just want to get some feed back.

P.S. I have had a Front Engine, RWD car before, but not as powerful as this car (Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t). Not to mention I plan on keeping it stock for a while, at least until the warranty is up. I do drive a lot, so I want to get a car I feel I'll enjoy.
I just got my 2021 gt. Came from 2012 civic si. It's scary fast for me. Makes the si seem like a children's toy. It's much more refined. Ride quality is tons better. Drives like a dream. I'm not modding the engine or intake in anyway. To me it has all the power i could want .

You will love the mustang!!

IMG_20210807_141842_163.jpg
20210721_102841.jpg

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning

One thing I always feelā€¦avoid buying the first year of the build run. I.E. 15/17. 18/20. Got to let it breath and get the bugs out.
other than that, Mustangs can go to the market or go for the checkers. Itā€™s about what you want the car to doā€¦and budget

just be aware. Of first year build with changes

Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
This is the last call for V-8s if you follow the trends. The car companies all have stopped ICE development work for the most part, the government just upped the emissions requirements to grow tighter each year, and so it goes. Once they are gone, the collector status will be huge I believe. The sound, smoothness, and power will be chased after. Long live the Coyote!

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
Just a couple thoughts to answer your questions.

I came from an import background as well having 2-Z cars, 3-VW's and 4-Acura's. The mustang was the first domestic car that I bought by myself. Since then I have bought another (F-150) as well as had an Explorer company car. I have found that the quality vs price index is quite good with this brand.

I bought the Mustang because I wanted a car with real power and loved the design. I have had an amazing ownership experience so far. It's reliability has been beyond expectations as I track the $hit out of my car and has never let me down. However some people can never be happy though and will of course complain about a gearbox that they don't know how to operate or the fact that a couple threads on their Recaro's wear down as they slide their 200+# @ss over the seats everyday.

It is heavy at 3850# in stock trim (Mine was as low as 3500# at one point).

It's handling capabilities are good in stock form but a couple easy mods really unlocks it. It is capable of embarrassing cars 2-3 times as much.

Ultimately the key to your ownership happiness is being honest with yourself in what you want with the car.

Good luck OP and i'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
What your fave mods to tighten shakes & improve handling? I have a '16 vert PP1 w Roush Stage 1 & Magnaflow cat back - new to me in last 10 days.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I purchased a 2015 4 years ago and put 40,000 miles on it and itā€™s kbb value is higher than what I paid

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
I also had a background in import cars, the Mustang was my first American car in like decades. For reliability, I wouldn't worry about them, they are pretty well built. Not quite Honda/Toyota but compared to BMW or Subaru or pretty much any other manufacturer, these cars are easily equal. They are also relatively cheap to repair and maintain compared to other brands. The only thing that broke on me was my AC, which was a known issue with the 2015s. Made me wish I had the extended warranty.

The way it drives is another thing... its a much bigger heavier car than what you are used to, and it feels like it. But it can perform, you just have to trust the car. Taking it on a track the car will really come alive and no longer feels big. All those import guys who think a Mustang can't handle are full of doo doo... this thing is about 95% as capable as an M3 for 50% of the price. A few mods make it even better, once I got my Steeda suspension I felt like a champ at the track.

As for power, in nearly 7 yrs I never once felt like I needed more power. I know a lot of ppl here think its under-powered and needs FI or something, I honestly don't get it. You guys must be used to driving some seriously powerful cars to think a stock GT is slow. It could still scare me right up to the day I sold it, and I never got tired of that off the line acceleration. It can break loose so easily with stock power, I really feel like any more power wouldn't be as fun because you have to be so careful. Its a handful in the rain as it is.

Gas mileage is terrible... I averaged 16. It will definitely be noticeable if you are used to a Civic, even the Si. The Subaru is also not great, but I think you CAN drive it without getting into the turbo and keep mileage reasonable. I don't think you can do the same with the Mustang, it was always bad no matter how I drove it. But it was worth it. But if you commute to work, prepare to spend a lot more on gas.

I never had a problem with the interior quality or the build quality. I didnt have any rattles or squeaks, and I am very particular about those. It always felt like a nice car inside. And to me its a very "hardy" car, it doesnt feel like anything was going to break when it got old, or crack. Compare that to a BMW where the plastics seem to get brittle and snap, or VW where everything just kind of degrades. Subaru has the same kind of tough feeling, like it would last forever.

One little bonus recommendation... buy the extended warranty online and out of state. Florida has crappy dealer laws where they can mark up the warranty costs like 200%. Ford sells excellent warranties to residents of other states at a very reasonable price. You don't need to pay up for the Premium care, the electrical stuff just isn't that complicated on these cars. Just the Base Care is really cheap, and covers the expensive stuff you would need to worry about, like air conditioning. Or if its in the budget, spring for the Extra Care for a cpl hundred more. Flood Ford will sell the warranty online, all you need is an address NOT in Florida and you are good to go. Just go visit grandma and pick up your mail there.

Mr.Mustang_55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
German
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 and 2018 Nissan Rogue
Vehicle Showcase

Hey this is my second domestic car a had a New 2016 EcoBoost šŸ™Š and switched to a New 2019 Gt PP1 A10 back in June of 2019 and I have never looked back best car that I have ever owned. (Previous cars: 2006 Scion TC, 2003 350Z, 2008 Infiniti g37s coupe, 2004 Subaru 2.5 RS) so i came from JDM as well and you won't be disappointed with the S550 platform. I currently have 13.5K on my 2019 and no issues with aftermarket exhaust and some suspension upgrades (BMR handling Springs, Steeda billet shock mounts, and Ford Performace Shocks and Struts). I will be supercharging it soon and adding some other Steeda suspension and chassis parts a, 1 piece carbon fiber driveshaft, and a Ford Performance Half shaft. Good Luck with your purchase and hope to welcome you to the Mustang community soon. You can follow me on Instagram: @Mr.mustang5.0
Sponsored