Sponsored

S550 Mustang GT PP long term reliability, and resale value?

archangl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Well I am planning on pulling the trigger on getting a 2021 Mustang GT PP, over the 2021 WRX Sti. I am coming from a Honda Civic Si, and never had a domestic car prior to this. So I am not going to lie a little nervous (this is a big purchase). The thing is I am hoping and want this to be a car that I keep for the long term. The main reason I am nervous, is because I have never had a domestic car. Not to mention the whole stigma behind domestics not being reliable, can't handle good, heavy and gas guzzlers. This generation mustang I realize yeah it might not be a gas sipper, but compared to the STI (which gets the same gas mileage), it is pretty good. Then I keep hearing that these new body style Mustangs actually put up a fight in the corners. I do live in Florida, where it does rain quite a bit (which would lend itself for the STI and it's AWD). Just want to get some feed back.

P.S. I have had a Front Engine, RWD car before, but not as powerful as this car (Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t). Not to mention I plan on keeping it stock for a while, at least until the warranty is up. I do drive a lot, so I want to get a car I feel I'll enjoy.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
These cars are great. Build quality aside (rattles and panel gaps are common), they hold up very well reliability wise. I'd trust an s550 far more than an ej25 powered STI.

Handling wise? Compared to an Si its going to feel heavy as a boat at first. But when you load up the suspension in a corner it will surprise you how well these cars grip. It's more than good enough. The PP is especially competent stock.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
A few months back I picked up a new 2020 PP1 GT A10 (old stock)….it’s my first actual American car purchase in 40 years of life. I’ve had American company vehicles, along with 40+ diesels (Cummins/Detroit) I own as a business, but for a fun/DD vehicle I’d never gone American for the reasons you stated. I was looking for a dedicated track car with great performance per dollar, which is the reason for my S550 purchase. Not really entirely sure where I’m going with this, but you’re not alone on the American purchase.
I’ve done a handful of track-days, and the S550 is an incredible machine that demands respect. It takes some time to understand how much power you have at hand, if you’re not used to it. My magneride S550 would be a great DD if I didn’t have kids (backseat sucks) and a wife that didn’t hate the Steeda axle-back with h-pipe.
The younger friends that could care less about performance think Mustangs are for dorks, but they don’t understand thrill lol.

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
I have a 17 Gt pp and love it. The driveability is great, mileage is fair but that’s not why you buy a mustang and it’s been reliable. I’ve had my share of issues but it was more of a fluke than anything. I have the stock parellis and also live in Florida and this is by far the best handling mustang I’ve ever owned.

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I've put nearly 35K miles on my 18 and the only thing that's had to be replaced is the battery. I think the PS4S is quite good in the rain, especially for a high performance tire. I have the PP1 so I can't say how base cars handle but while fairly heavy, the car is predictable and fun on backroads. With more tire and some suspension mods, you make these cars handle even better. Brakes are excellent and have good feel. As far as gas mileage, I get just under 22 overall with daily commuting and weekend backroading. It's a lot of car for the money and there is a huge aftermarket if you want to mod it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

archangl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I have a 17 Gt pp and love it. The driveability is great, mileage is fair but that’s not why you buy a mustang and it’s been reliable. I’ve had my share of issues but it was more of a fluke than anything. I have the stock parellis and also live in Florida and this is by far the best handling mustang I’ve ever owned.
I see you live in Naples, funny thing is I do too.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
An sti should not be on your list if you want long term reliable car. U R a Bus seem to not be able to keep head gaskets in them.
o.e.m.'s Can't get away with building trash anymore it isn't the '90's.
Most folks that have problems with a brand vehicle are 2nd or 3rd owners. That bought off lease vehicles, that the 1st owner didn't give a rats ass about as it is a lease and under warranty. So they drove it like they stole it, and rode it hard and put it away wet. The 2nd owners tend to buy more vehicle than they can afford, So the vehicle never gets the preventive maintenance/ required service work , put off oil changes ,etc.
Then wonder why the car is turning into a rolling P.O.S.
Or the 3rd owner that not knowing gets a vehicle that wasn't serviced, missed oil changes, has had the original air filter the factory installed for the last 4+ years.
These are the most vocal owners that go on every social media platform to complain .
Every brand and model has some issues, As a platforms generation goes theough it's cycle every passing year they get better than the last. First year of any platform is a crap shoot.
Honda isn't what it once was, they have issues also.
Good luck with whatever you pick.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Just passed 20k miles on my 2019 pp1 6 speed. It's been an awesome daily driver. I've taken this on a few road trips. Brake pads are still meaty and my rear ps4s tires are at 7/32nd tread (front is a hair under 8). They're wearing surprisingly well for being staggered and never rotated. I have the FP power pack installed, an aftermarket exhaust, and a set of winter performance tires. It's stock otherwise. Honestly I love how reliable it's been. It starts up in subzero temps without a hitch and pulls just as hard now as it did new.

I do take care of it, though. I drive like a grandma until everything is up to temp and it only gets 93 octane. Every time I swap the wheels I get down and dirty to clean off all the salt and go as far as sanding down and respraying any surface rust. Stuff not worth sanding (bolts and such) I hit with rustoleum rust reformer. Illinois winters are rough.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just passed 20k miles on my 2019 pp1 6 speed. It's been an awesome daily driver. I've taken this on a few road trips. Brake pads are still meaty and my rear ps4s tires are at 7/32nd tread (front is a hair under 8). They're wearing surprisingly well for being staggered and never rotated. I have the FP power pack installed, an aftermarket exhaust, and a set of winter performance tires. It's stock otherwise. Honestly I love how reliable it's been. It starts up in subzero temps without a hitch and pulls just as hard now as it did new.

I do take care of it, though. I drive like a grandma until everything is up to temp and it only gets 93 octane. Every time I swap the wheels I get down and dirty to clean off all the salt and go as far as sanding down and respraying any surface rust. Stuff not worth sanding (bolts and such) I hit with rustoleum rust reformer. Illinois winters are rough.
Spray all of the stamped steel parts with fluid film before next winter. Does wonders for preservation.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....ps4s tires are at 7/32nd tread (front is a hair under 8). They're wearing surprisingly well for being staggered and never rotated.
Check the inner edges of the tread, the part you can't see. And check them thoroughly. My tires looked great from what I could see. Put the car on a lift, and all four needed to be replaced. At 18K miles.

OP; See my sig line, and notice the suspension mods. Those are the bare minimum the car needs to handle well.

Definitely get the Magneride, PP1, and Active Exhaust.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Check the inner edges of the tread, the part you can't see. And check them thoroughly. My tires looked great from what I could see. Put the car on a lift, and all four needed to be replaced. At 18K miles.

OP; See my sig line, and notice the suspension mods. Those are the bare minimum the car needs to handle well.

Definitely get the Magneride, PP1, and Active Exhaust.
Are you running negative camber?

I examine them when they're off of the car for nails and debris and use a tread depth gage. Old habits of working at a tire shop for a few years when I was 18. There's a bit of dry rot on outer edges but nothing concerning yet. I probably have another season or two before I'll need new tires.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Are you running negative camber?

I examine them when they're off of the car for nails and debris and use a tread depth gage. Old habits of working at a tire shop for a few years when I was 18. There's a bit of dry rot on outer edges but nothing concerning yet. I probably have another season or two before I'll need new tires.
The factory alignment has some slight negative camber I believe. And tread-depth gauges mean nothing if you're not checking the right part of the tread.

Turn the wheel all the way one way or another, and check the inside edges. Or crawl under the rear end and take a real hard look.

Or not, it's your life/car/tires.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Just a couple thoughts to answer your questions.

I came from an import background as well having 2-Z cars, 3-VW's and 4-Acura's. The mustang was the first domestic car that I bought by myself. Since then I have bought another (F-150) as well as had an Explorer company car. I have found that the quality vs price index is quite good with this brand.

I bought the Mustang because I wanted a car with real power and loved the design. I have had an amazing ownership experience so far. It's reliability has been beyond expectations as I track the $hit out of my car and has never let me down. However some people can never be happy though and will of course complain about a gearbox that they don't know how to operate or the fact that a couple threads on their Recaro's wear down as they slide their 200+# @ss over the seats everyday.

It is heavy at 3850# in stock trim (Mine was as low as 3500# at one point).

It's handling capabilities are good in stock form but a couple easy mods really unlocks it. It is capable of embarrassing cars 2-3 times as much.

Ultimately the key to your ownership happiness is being honest with yourself in what you want with the car.

Good luck OP and i'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Well, it won't be Honda Civic reliable, at least long term but if you're like me and only keep cars til the warranty is up, no problem. Even Ford tries to make sure the cars get through warranty without claims, lol.
That said, I think this generation is pretty sorted out now. My 15 had all the problems (driveline vibration, rattley interior panels, etc) and soured me on getting another one. There is a certain joy to a V8 RWD manual trans car that you can't get elsewhere. Although, If I was getting another fun car, I'd get a Challenger Scat Pack with the tremec.

mfk2910

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Farouk
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Well I am planning on pulling the trigger on getting a 2021 Mustang GT PP, over the 2021 WRX Sti. I am coming from a Honda Civic Si, and never had a domestic car prior to this. So I am not going to lie a little nervous (this is a big purchase). The thing is I am hoping and want this to be a car that I keep for the long term. The main reason I am nervous, is because I have never had a domestic car. Not to mention the whole stigma behind domestics not being reliable, can't handle good, heavy and gas guzzlers. This generation mustang I realize yeah it might not be a gas sipper, but compared to the STI (which gets the same gas mileage), it is pretty good. Then I keep hearing that these new body style Mustangs actually put up a fight in the corners. I do live in Florida, where it does rain quite a bit (which would lend itself for the STI and it's AWD). Just want to get some feed back.

P.S. I have had a Front Engine, RWD car before, but not as powerful as this car (Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t). Not to mention I plan on keeping it stock for a while, at least until the warranty is up. I do drive a lot, so I want to get a car I feel I'll enjoy.
I am not an American citizen though I live here. I obviously don't like American cars compared to European build quality wise. BUT, I have to admit that Americans know how to build V8's. The mustang coyote engine is so strong that throwing in a supercharger wont void warranty in some cases (roush...) that should tell you enough that this car should be decently reliable. The interior and body panels are questionable but the Engine is superb. Obviously you can never guarantee a car won't be a lemon but you have warranty for that stuff anyways so who cares.
Sponsored