Sponsored

S550 Mustang GT or 2007-2009 C6 Z06?

undres

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost with big turbo Tune+
In the up coming months I will be trading in my Ecoboost for either a GT or I have my eye on a C6 Z06. My main goal is to have a 10 sec street car and get the most bang for my buck. I know this is a weird question to ask on a mustang forum, but I'm open to all your guys opinions! So what would you guys do?
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Vette offers WAY more performance stock.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
ZO6, H/C/I mod and you will be good!

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
In the up coming months I will be trading in my Ecoboost for either a GT or I have my eye on a C6 Z06. My main goal is to have a 10 sec street car and get the most bang for my buck. I know this is a weird question to ask on a mustang forum, but I'm open to all your guys opinions! So what would you guys do?
I was on the same boat before i ordered my gtpp, since i wanted a powerful dd i went with the gtpp, otherwise c6 zo6 offers even better performance than the gt350. If you already have a beater and don't mind the zo6 sitting in the garage then get the zo6! There is also a cam and supercharger option for it. Currently best performance car for the money, and then zr1 comes in with lightly used 65 grand price tag!

unavailableGT350

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 White with Blue Stripes
I just cannot bring myself to buy a GM product. Sooooooo...

Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I had a 06 Z06. You can definitely feel the lack of weight in various handling applications and the power from the LS7 in that lightweight body made the car explosive even in stock form. It was lots of fun. My vote is C6Z all the way.

Nac79

NAC15GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Ford Mustang GT with PP
I just traded in my 2015 Comp Orange base GT with performance pack for a 2013 427 Convertible. It's not a C6 ZO6, but it does have the LS7 in it. As much as I loved my GT, it is no comparison.

The C6 Z is a lot faster, stops better, turns better, and looks better in my humble opinion. It sounds better from the factory as well with the flaps open, however with the Ford Racing/Borla sports exhaust I installed on the GT it was about equal in the sound department.

I do miss my reverse camera, headlight design, backup sensors, and Recaro seats from the GT. Plus, the C6 Z warranty has probably expired. So, that is important. I don't know if the dropping value issue is a myth or not, but you'll at least need $15,000 saved for a new motor or invest $3,000 for extended warranty/or to get the heads reworked. Plus, the Corvette tax is real. Everything is more expensive.

Overall, I vote C6Z over GT. I'll probably choose a 2012/2013 Z over a Shelby GT350 as well.
Matter of fact, I did, as I paid $57,000 for my one year only 427 convertible with 4300 miles on it. Brand new it was $93,500. However, it is certified and I will put a H/C/I package when warranty expires.

BTW, I also have a C5 ZO6 as well, so if you are on a budget, I vote C5Z! It is a great car and a lot cheaper.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The LS7 dropped valve issue is definitely for real. The Corvette Forum is littered with dropped valve stories. This is the only knock against the Z06. If you purchase one, you better get one with head work already done, budget to have the heads done, or buy an extended warranty.

As far as sound, with the valves open the Z06 is loud, but not all that great with out aftermarket mufflers, and definitely nowhere in the same league as a GT350. Exhaust on a 350 is just epic and full of character. There is just something missing with a stock Z06 exhaust sound, IMHO.

Jackie Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Corvette ZR1
Ok so I love my gt. Its basically stock with the addition of a gt350 steering wheel and magnaflow street catback. BUT, I am working at a chevy store now....I don't like vettes.....BUT, we just got a 10 zr1 for a pretty good deal.

With that being said my new daily driver is a zr1. Its just ridiculously fast and impractical but for the price its really a no brainer.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Just be ready for the vette tax... That's why I traded my vette in.... $1000 for axle backs was insane... LS7 engine mods is about the only thing that will be cheap.... Hell you'll be forced to buy new wheels just to get a decent tire combo

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I debated the same decision when I bought my 17' GT. They are roughly the same price in my area (non Z06) for one in showroom condition.

I agree. Get the Vette. My friend had a base 09' Black. It looked super sexy. These cars don't compare. They are not in the same category. They even get really decent hwy gas mileage. Test drive both you'll see.

But most Vette owners are 40+ half bald, and I'm just not there yet. Soon though :D

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
That's a tough choice, both have positives and negatives. Big positive is that we have a lot of experience with both, so if you are looking to get extra performance over stock, regardless of your choice give us a call we'd love to talk!

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Ok so, a buddy of mine is a mechanic and just upgraded the cams, throttle body, and headers on his stock 2008 zo6. He also got a dyno tune on 93 octane, the results are crazy, 580 whp and 560 lbft on a na setup! He didn't have a stock dyno run to compare. I didn't know the ls7 responses pretty good to cam upgrades. His car weights around 3100 lbs with some minor handling upgrades as well. It is pretty amazing that an na setup ls7 can push as much power as a zr1 ls3 supercharged engine.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
If you can drive, the c6 z06 is a 10.9 second car bone stock. If not only a radial or slick upgrade away and its tens. Im not a fan of z06 interior quality. Id personally never buy a vette. Id definitely buy a viper. Ive almost bought one a couple times. Between a mustang and a z06 id still rather have a mustang.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The LS7 is glorious, we won't see another 427 in production. Dropped valves aside, it's a fantastic motor, it's a 650-675HP NA car with H/C/E (even with reasonably streetable cams).

I like the shape of the C6 better than the C7, even though the C7 is the "better" overall car. The C6 interior is decent (the 3LZ interior package is super nice). Huge brakes, big fenders, I just _love_ how the C6Z06 sits and it's not as littered with plastic ducts/ports/stuff/things.

'08 got the T6060 vs. the T56 tranny in previous years, and a few more general tweaks, I'd start with that year. I think the C6Z06 is a performance steal in the used market, especially if you're considering modifications.
Sponsored