Sponsored

S550 may be eliminated sooner rather then later...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Let's say that pollution is 1/3 from cars, 1/3 from road work and other for the last 1/3.

Even if cars are green, the power plants still need to burn something to make electricity.
Ok, do solar. Ruin miles and miles of land to put up solar panels. Kill a bunch of wildlife just to power your cars.

Oh wait, it isn't sunny so you still need coal or some fossil burning plants for when it isn't or it is too cloudy.

So you are going to reduce the 1/3 to maybe 1/2 of 1/3 so 1/6 and screw with so many businesses and existing infrastructure.

Also, did not say that solar and wind are more expensive to run and maintain? So our electric bills will eventually end up costing more too. Wind and solar are not energy dense mediums so to extract energy from them they require lots of space and impact lots of wildlife.

Now, according to the comparison of France vs Germany, nuclear is far cheaper and has less environmental impact. France has much more nuclear and Germany is mostly wind, solar and hydro. Germany's power costs twice what is charged in France. All nuclear waste can remain in drums. It has the least cubic measurement of environmental impact to any form of energy producing device. Solar cells produce lots of dead cells about every 20-30 years. Right now, recycling hasn't taken off in the US. Many towns have stopped collecting things because it already costs THEM too much to recycle.

Since they control road work, why not get that to zero emissions first? Can't. Materials used would have to change. Roads are already in bad shape. I wonder how much the need roads to be in bad shape so as to support the road construction laborers. If roads were made to last 20% longer, that would not help those in that industry. Also might cost more to repair roads in the long run too.

Also, cars shed tons of brake material, rubber and other items just driving and that is excluding tailpipe emissions that are released into our atmosphere. I am not sure where that is included but that is probably never going away. Those electrics still have tires and brakes for the most part.

So that 1/3 of all pollution they are going after is going to result in a very little improvement in the long run. Of course, no one wants to talk about how big an impact going to electric will have. Politicians only see new tax revenue, jobs creation (with lots lost), an industry where most local municipalities and states control their power so they will make more money driving gas and oil companies down or they will at least be able to renegotiate contracts since fuel delivery will still be needed, just much less.
So the answer is let's get rid of all personal vehicles and move to 100% public transportation. See, easy.

EDIT: Sorry, "Sarcasm Alert"........
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So the answer is let's get rid of all personal vehicles and move to 100% public transportation. See, easy.

EDIT: Sorry, "Sarcasm Alert"........
wouldn't surprised one bit.

Maybe that is why they want autonomous vehicles. They have the fleet, it will work in the suburbs and they control it all.

I'll keep my V8.

boostmark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS2, 2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 1998 E150
Another thought is the power grid and the stress on it if millions of electric cars are plugged in and drawing juice at the same time..
This will be the biggest problem. Now your electric bill will be like $400 month and when the power goes out in the night, good luck getting to work

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Why don't you just turn to auto part off. There's a switch for that.
It's still in auto, even when you shut Auto off.

It's still trying to maintain a cabin temp, rather than just giving you the vent-air temp you want.

Unless I'm missing something?

Since the last SYNC3 update, it's hard to tell what features are on or off on the screens. It's a highlighted blue on a blue screen background.
No, it's not. If you turn off the auto function, it takes the inputs from the dash buttons or Sync "buttons" and translates it to a temp and fan setting. If you put it at 80 degrees and level 7 fan, it's going to blow hot air, fast. If you put it at 60 degrees and level 2 fan, it's going to blow cold air, slowly.

I'm just confused now.

If I'm adjusting the fan speed, the auto function is turned off.....automatically??

Differently than turning "auto" off?
Correct. Two ways to accomplish the same task.

I guess it's a good thing that Tesla gives you that sort of help, but after just over 50 years of making trips of significant distance where it's been 100% on me to successfully get from here to there I'm seeing more nuisance and constraint than benefit. I probably wasn't clear enough before about not using "nav".

That's probably a big part of why I still have my '08, and why there's a major mod in its future (no, it's not forced induction). The early S197s are about as simple and old-school as anything with its cornering potential can get. I know I'd be fine with at least another 150 HP because I've driven cars with that much more and then some on the track, but I'm not at all sure I'm willing to trade away the 08's simplicity to get it.

Norm
I get you on all points. My FIL is as old school as they come, but he's 70 years old. He left foot brakes, and can't deal with the stop/start feature on my wife's Benz, so he has to shut it off. He dailies a 1968 C-10 pickup with a three on the tree, non-synchronous transmission. I'm 37, and have been using computers since I could walk. Checking email, for me, is more natural than walking to my mailbox, and dealing with people via text vs. a regular phone call is generally preferable (mostly because people are generally dumb - evidenced frequently in this thread). I do miss the stick axle of my S197, and miss the more analog nature of its driving characteristics. I'd love to have that car back, but if it came down to one or t'other - 2006 GT vs 2016 GT - I'd take the 2016 every day, and twice on Sundays, even at the same power level.

JR

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...Let's say that pollution is 1/3 from cars, 1/3 from road work and other for the last 1/3.......
Vehicles create about 1/2% of total green-house gasses. A volcano erupting for a day can put more GHGs into the atmosphere than the entire vehicle population of the earth over years.

Vehicles are not the problem. Stupid, over-emotional people just see them, smell their exhaust, and freak out. Because they're stupid.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
No, it's not. If you turn off the auto function, it takes the inputs from the dash buttons or Sync "buttons" and translates it to a temp and fan setting. If you put it at 80 degrees and level 7 fan, it's going to blow hot air, fast. If you put it at 60 degrees and level 2 fan, it's going to blow cold air, slowly.
Even when it's not on AUTO, it's attempting to hold a temperature in the cabinet, rather than just giving me the air temp I want out of the vents.

So if it's 50 degrees outside, and I want to drive with the windows down and 80 degree air coming out of the vents, the air comping out of the vents won't be warm enough. I have to crank the temp to MAX to get air that's hot enough out of the vents, and then it's too hot. The temp settings below MAX are all just warm air, and not warm enough. So the options are too cold, or too hot.

I want a rotary knob where I can simply adjust the temp of the air flowing out of the vents. I don't want the damn car trying to keep the interior to some temperature by varying the temp of the air coming out of the vents.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
and 500+ miles on a charge is normal.
Really? You'd be lucky to get 300 on your Mustang. Ha ha. Very few ICE vehicles that can travel 500 miles on a tank, even now. The 'fair' number would be 300 real miles IMO. Not even Tesla LR vehices are close to that, but the Model S is closer. At highway speeds they have much less range than their EPA rating, and even less if it's cold, and/or using A/C or heat. A new LR Model 3 gives you about 200 miles on the highway using A/C or heat, out of an ideal 353. So their EPA rating would have to be 450 or better to get there. Maybe with the next generation of batteriesl but it's going to be impossible to be much more than that with packaging available.

The big drawback is the time it takes to recharge, and I also don't see how it can get much better than the current top chargers at 150kW. Even at that level it generates a lot of heat that degrades the batteries if used often.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Really? You'd be lucky to get 300 on your Mustang. Ha ha. Very few ICE vehicles that can travel 500 miles on a tank, even now. The 'fair' number would be 300 real miles IMO. Not even Tesla LR vehices are close to that, but the Model S is closer. At highway speeds they have much less range than their EPA rating, and even less if it's cold, and/or using A/C or heat. A new LR Model 3 gives you about 200 miles on the highway using A/C or heat, out of an ideal 353. So their EPA rating would have to be 450 or better to get there. Maybe with the next generation of batteriesl but it's going to be impossible to be much more than that with packaging available.

The big drawback is the time it takes to recharge, and I also don't see how it can get much better than the current top chargers at 150kW. Even at that level it generates a lot of heat that degrades the batteries if used often.
Hence why I won't buy electric for at least 2 more battery generations......

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Writing a ban like that is easy. Making it work, on the other hand . . .

Norm
They will try, but CA is doing the same, NO NEW ICE car sales. I'm hoping to be long gone before they ban all ICE cars/motorcycles, and guns. If they do, I will be a felon or law breaker for the first time in my life. Speeding is about as 'illegal' as I get..... And YES, I get there just about every time I drive.... haha

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912

Indeed. 300 in an 8CLY Mustang is possible if you drive like grandma, 250-280 more likely. I can get 500 miles out of a tank of gas in my truck, but that has a 38 gallon tank.

The issue with EV's is charge time. Not a big deal for DD duties, as most top off regularly, but on long Xcountry trips, or anything more than 200-250, stopping for an hour would get OLD real fast.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Norway bas banned all fossil fuel cars after 2024 from being sold in their country. We may never see that happen in the US nationwide. California will be first though.
Writing a ban like that is easy. Making it work, on the other hand . . .

Norm
It will work because EV sales in Norway are huge and people are stopping buying ICE cars now anyway. Most of Europe is setting similar bans (UK is 2030 for ICE and 2035 for PHEV's) Car makers will not sell ICE cars in Europe because the market will not be there - the tax on a Mustang V8 in France is €29k which puts most people off. Yes existing cars will continue but the numbers will drop quickly leaving everything but classics pretty much gone 10 years after the ban. Car makers in Europe are fined if their average CO2 on car sales exceeds 95g/km (reducing in 2022), you need to sell a lot of Kuga PHEV's to cancel out one Mustang V8!

Incidentally Norway (8th biggest oil producer in the world ish) has now stopped ALL oil exploration.

There's no good reason for it to have to be that intertwined. Fan speed and 'auto temperature function' should be completely independent functions.

Norm
Newer versions of the Ford climate systems do exactly this - the auto button has three settings with three maximum fan settings - low, medium and high (obviously if you select the lowest the car will be slower to reach the desired temperature). To be honest in all of the last dozen or so Fords I have driven I have pressed auto on day 1 set the temperature and never touched it again - they work very well as climate systems go.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The issue with EV's is charge time. Not a big deal for DD duties, as most top off regularly, but on long Xcountry trips, or anything more than 200-250, stopping for an hour would get OLD real fast.
I think Tesla quote 20 minutes from 20% to 80% charge now for the most rapid charge stations. Hydrogen fuel cells may be the answer in more remote places / commercial vehicles which are obviously just as quick to fill as regular petrol cars. Not sure if the Toyota Mirai is sold in the US yet. Non fossil fuel synthetic fuels may also have a role.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...It will work because EV sales in Norway are huge......
It's never going to work.

Ever.

I've explained this in detail a few times now. It's a complete laughing, ridiculous joke being played on people too stupid to understand that.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0