Sponsored

S550 may be eliminated sooner rather then later...

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I drive with my windows open most of the time, which is not good with auto HVAC systems. Especially in the cold months, when I'd like the system giving me a certain temp air, but the system doesn't just do what I want it to.

I think there's a temp sensor somewhere inside the car, and it tries to keep the interior to the temp it's set at. But I want a certain temp air flowing from the vents, and I can't get that.
Well, then, you're using the auto features all wrong. Auto is for when the windows are up. There's a small sensor to the right of the steering wheel that checks interior temp. When the windows are down, the air is constantly changing, swirling, and mixing, and there's zero chance that the computer can keep up.

JR
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well, then, you're using the auto features all wrong. Auto is for when the windows are up. There's a small sensor to the right of the steering wheel that checks interior temp. When the windows are down, the air is constantly changing, swirling, and mixing, and there's zero chance that the computer can keep up.

JR
It's still in auto, even when you shut Auto off.

It's still trying to maintain a cabin temp, rather than just giving you the vent-air temp you want.

Unless I'm missing something?

Since the last SYNC3 update, it's hard to tell what features are on or off on the screens. It's a highlighted blue on a blue screen background.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's still in auto, even when you shut Auto off.

It's still trying to maintain a cabin temp, rather than just giving you the vent-air temp you want.

Unless I'm missing something?

Since the last SYNC3 update, it's hard to tell what features are on or off on the screens. It's a highlighted blue on a blue screen background.
Change the fan speed. That turns of the auto function. Then adjust your temperature.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
that's the thing. over 200 mile range is the worst possible application of electrics. By far the most societal contribution for electrics comes from 'runabout' use for which 150mi range is plenty. And 'runabout' is the worst possible use for ICE both from a BTU/mile and pollution standpoint.

Tesla was stupid to do consumer cars when the obvious market is delivery vans that stay close to home base, have a known mostly fixed path or travel distance, do a billion start/stop cycles and are lucky to go faster than 40mph. The fleet comes home every night to industrial 3-phase power so charging infra is downright trivial to implement and 'super duper' charging is not important.
I won't buy any vehicle I can't take on a road trip. Stopping every couple hours to charge is not an option for me, unless a near full charge was available within 15 minutes.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Change the fan speed. That turns of the auto function. Then adjust your temperature.
I'm just confused now.

If I'm adjusting the fan speed, the auto function is turned off.....automatically??

Differently than turning "auto" off?

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm just confused now.

If I'm adjusting the fan speed, the auto function is turned off.....automatically??

Differently than turning "auto" off?
I guess its the same although honestly I never turn it off in my car. My wife constantly fiddles with her Escape and I alway find the auto off. She tells me that she is adjusting the fan speed.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The infotainment/navigation system already figures out the stops for you and optimizes your route based on charger availability. It's not going to send you to a Supercharger location that's full. There are also Superchargers all of the the place - 2000+ locations in the US - and more opening or planned. We recently took a trip from Charleston to Lake Lure, NC. It would have cost us 15 minutes to stop about halfway, and the interesting roads are on the second half of that journey, not the first. I could have cruised to Columbus, NC, then gotten on the back roads and really enjoyed myself.

Really, you jump in the car, start driving, and if you need to charge, navigation shows you the best place to go to charge. Easy, peasy, and available on all interstate highways.
I guess it's a good thing that Tesla gives you that sort of help, but after just over 50 years of making trips of significant distance where it's been 100% on me to successfully get from here to there I'm seeing more nuisance and constraint than benefit. I probably wasn't clear enough before about not using "nav".

But that said, this certainly isn't for old guys that like old school stuff for old school reasons.
That's probably a big part of why I still have my '08, and why there's a major mod in its future (no, it's not forced induction). The early S197s are about as simple and old-school as anything with its cornering potential can get. I know I'd be fine with at least another 150 HP because I've driven cars with that much more and then some on the track, but I'm not at all sure I'm willing to trade away the 08's simplicity to get it.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The whole world is moving towards EV's. Many countries are banning gas powered car sales in the near future. Not really US politics, but a world movement. That said, I probably won't consider electric vehicles until the current fast electric cars seem slow, and 500+ miles on a charge is normal.
At this point, banning ICE power is basically a nice blue-sky environmentalist 'want' being proposed. Nobody has yet proven it possible, let alone affordable.

Norm

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
it's obvious the designers sit in a cubicle for hours polishing their little buttons for that perfect gazing impact and photo shoots and not trying to stab the F'king things at 40 miles an hour on city streets.

This infatuation with "everything has gotta look like a cell phone" is just disgusting, shallow, and unimaginitive. And 100x pox on Tesla for the "we'll just get rid of all buttons and make you do everything thru this retarded screen". The earthquake that submerges Silicon Valley under the Pacific can't come soon enough.
I agree, and like that most of the performance controls are through switches and not touch screen. I do wish they would move the 'show gauge' option into the settings menu rather than the Pony, would be nice to scroll to it from the trip and tire pressure menus, leaving all the performance and track options to the Pony menu.

If the Tesla Model 3 had a traditional gauge cluster and manual controls for heat, radio and other options, I would probably be driving one.... I do NOT like the fablet thing.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There's no good reason for it to have to be that intertwined. Fan speed and 'auto temperature function' should be completely independent functions.

Norm

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
At this point, banning ICE power is basically a nice blue-sky environmentalist 'want' being proposed. Nobody has yet proven it possible, let alone affordable.

Norm
Norway bas banned all fossil fuel cars after 2024 from being sold in their country. We may never see that happen in the US nationwide. California will be first though.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norway bas banned all fossil fuel cars after 2024 from being sold in their country. We may never see that happen in the US nationwide. California will be first though.
Writing a ban like that is easy. Making it work, on the other hand . . .

Norm

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Should be easy for them. They control their borders.
Not what I was getting at. Even they'll have to make sure it ends up being both economically and practically feasible for their citizens.

Norm

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)