Sponsored

S550 may be eliminated sooner rather then later...

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
People have preferred SUV's for a while now, and coupes have continued to fall out of favor since the 90's. The problem as I see it is that people are extra pressed these days to have a car that can do it all, including handle all the kids they may have. A sports coupe seems laughably impractical in comparison, and the average person isn't willing to compromise for fun and style, or even a good driving experience. People aren't earning enough money to have what they see as an expensive toy in addition to their "do it all" crossover.

As far as the electric/technology aspect, I'm not worrying about it for the moment. Eventually gas engine cars will be phased out, this is obvious. So I'm going to enjoy the cheap gas while it's still around, before you have to have 55 gallon drums shipped to your house with a $100 tax applied.
(Pssst - you can make your own E85...)
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.......what they see as an expensive toy.....
That's my point.

Mustang's (in particular) aren't expensive, and they aren't toys. But that's the perception they get, and I think they get it from overly-infatuated Mustang owners that treat their cars like delicate jewels that can only be used on nice, sunny days.

They are truly solid daily drivers. Large, roomy (for 2 people), a huge trunk, easy to get in and out of. And they're just fine in snowy conditions with the right tires. Even regular all-seasons work just fine in all but the deepest of snowy weather.

Other than maybe someone with several kids, they're fantastic for year-'round daily driving. An EB Premium 10A would be a really, really solid DD choice for year-'round use.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I agree limited range, run out of juice. Who would someone ask for a gallon of battery to get to a charging station ?
Welcome to the future where a 6 hour road trip now takes 9 because you have to charge twice. Plus the time looking for a charger... and it will all come back to bite us. I read the other day where it now cost more per mile to charge a tesla then gas per mile. wasn't that one the big selling points that is was cheaper?

Sponsored

OP
OP
kinchy

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Welcome to the future where a 6 hour road trip now takes 9 because you have to charge twice. Plus the time looking for a charger... and it will all come back to bite us. I read the other day where it now cost more per mile to charge a tesla then gas per mile. wasn't that one the big selling points that is was cheaper?
Another thought is the power grid and the stress on it if millions of electric cars are plugged in and drawing juice at the same time..

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
It almost always has been if you do the real math. There are multiple studies available that take into account the TOTAL cost to deliver a BTU in electricity vs pump gas. Pump gas wins....especially with the low cost/gal we have now. The other "hidden" cost is the batteries themselves, both their production and their disposal...they are the nuclear waste of the future. Just look into the issues with disposal of solar panels that is now coming to light as the early adopters equipment ages out....they are horribly toxic. Batteries are WORSE.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Solid state lithium tech is looking at 2025-2027 if everything goes perfect. That’s a big if.

3 minute charging, twice the density, lower weight are all things the technology COULD bring. I still think we are 2 generations out on batteries before any sort of widespread adoption over gas.
3 minute charging? With what, a nuke pile? Wow!

I'm several gens behind in knowledge is seems.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
3 minute charging,
I don't think so.
A Tesla battery has a capacity of 100 kWh. To charge that completely in one hour you'd need a 100 kW power station. To charge it in three minutes you'd need twenty times that power, which is 2 MW. And that's assuming that the power station, charging circuit and the battery itself are all perfectly efficient, with no losses.
This is pure physics and has nothing to do with how much the batteries will evolve within the next five, or ten, or whatever, years. To charge 100 kWh in 3 minutes you'd need 2 MW of power. There's no way around that.
2 MW power outlets in gas stations and supermarket car parks? No way. I don't think we'll see that any time soon. Or ever, for that matter.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
3 minuet charging????

Let me stop laughing. Is that charger hooked up to the hoover dam?

Lets see we need to input 500 Kw in 3 min? That would take a charger capable of delivering 1500Kw per min.

Most homes have 200 amp service, that equals about 44 Kw.

Dream on

Sponsored

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I think Ford is creating The Mustang Brand. Much like Ducati did with the Scrambler.

Ford knows that the Mustang is more recognizable and held in a higher regard than the normal grocery getters they produce.

Creating the “Mustang Family” they then can produce a wide range of vehicles geared more towards performance.

How many Ford emblems does your S550 have? Not many. The new Bronco is the same way.

I don’t think the Mach E is here to replace our Mustangs I think it is an addition to.. now that being said I’m not getting rid of my S550 and if anything I’m looking for another one before they drop the S650.

Side note Ducati sells more of the Scrambler family of bikes then they do all of their other bikes combined. So perhaps they are on to something?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Do people fast charge at their house? No. They fast charge when taking long trips. Also you would only fast charge 60% of the battery capacity.

Just because you are not smart enough to figure out how to do something doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/11/20201120-gmev.html
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33435923/toyota-solid-state-battery-2025/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31409442/samsung-solid-state-battery-revealed/

I don’t like the thought of eletric but the batteries are coming to support them. If I would have told you in 1995 that in 15 years everyone would have the internet in their pocket you would have made some comment about it taking to long for the modem too connect.
What a few people are attempting to technically explain, is that while new technology batteries may be able to take a fast, hard charge, the charging capacity/ability doesn't exist.

It doesn't matter what Congress/GM, Toyota or Samsung proclaim, they're only part of the technical issues.

EVs have a very limited application at this point. And unless some private company is going to invest TRILLIONS in electrical power production, distribution and new tech charging stations, all the whiz-bang battery tech means absolutely nothing.

Start with where the electricity is going to come from. Then figure out how that electricity is going to be moved. Then figure out how the new fast chargers are going to be spread out around the country.

Then figure out whom is going to pay the trillions of dollars it will require.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Wait until the kids start driving the electric Mustangs (the real ones, not the SUV thing) and smoking all us old guys in gassers! We will be able to make more passes though.

Ever drive a Tesla on Ludicrous Speed?

What they need to do is create universal battery packs that can be easily swapped out. Imagine pulling in and in 30 seconds a robot pulls out your depleted battery and pops in a new one...off you go. Need a shit-tonne of fancy chemicals though for all the batteries. Wonder how many it would take for an average "gas" station. Hmmm, might crunch some numbers if I get bored, but I sense it is a large number.

Better yet, how about a hydrogen fuel cell? It;s exhaust is water an oxygen. You could power the H factories with electricity you capture with geosynchronous spacecraft that beam down microwaves to collectors on Earth. Zero emissions. Totally dooable with current technology.

4 wheel drive with 4 brushless drive motors, one on each wheel. Just let that sink in and imagine the possibilities there folks. Gas fuel tech is not going to be able to compete on most levels.
That battery swapping thing made me think of my gas BBQ grill and how I swap out the gas bottle when its empty...lol

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I'm loving this car so much, finally glad I bought one. I see my next Stang purchase in '25 or so. Lets the new one be out 2-3 years. This car will only have likely 50k miles at that point, should be a nice trade in.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
I remember when people were hating on SUV's and dealers would sell them at dirt cheap prices just to get rid of them. There were even reports of people burning them out of hatred. Times change.
Sponsored