Sponsored

S550 may be eliminated sooner rather then later...

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
It almost always has been if you do the real math. There are multiple studies available that take into account the TOTAL cost to deliver a BTU in electricity vs pump gas. Pump gas wins....especially with the low cost/gal we have now. The other "hidden" cost is the batteries themselves, both their production and their disposal...they are the nuclear waste of the future. Just look into the issues with disposal of solar panels that is now coming to light as the early adopters equipment ages out....they are horribly toxic. Batteries are WORSE.
True. The change to batteries is powered by the climate change and environmental crowd and any others who can make money off of the change and the consequences be damned until the new pet project comes along. Then it will start all over again.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
For the record, I would totally buy a 4 motor, all-wheel drive electric Mustang. It would totally kill. Super simple. Evil fast.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The only electric vehicle I will buy is a golf cart. I drive too many long trips for an electric to make any sense for me.

A buddy of mine has a tesla and it is only good for 150 miles here in the hills.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I agree completely there are many problems with electric cars. The power grid being the biggest (IMO) at this point. Currently mass adoption of eletric cars is nothing more than a future dream. That’s why I compared them to the cell phone buildup. Towers were virtually none existent 30 years ago. Now they are everywhere. The investment was massive to put up these tower but yet the profit was there so the capital followed.

Electrics cars contain fewer parts and are much cheaper to produce outside of the battery. As soon as battery technology improves enough and get cheap enough they will start to replace ICE vehicles at scale. I think 15 years is a pretty good estimate but that depends on technological breakthroughs which of course are unpredictable. That’s two full battery generations at current pace.

IMO electric is the future from a pure profit standpoint of the manufactures. Technology always follows the money.
I do believe that power generation and distribution is the key, and I'm of the considered opinion it's a much larger hurdle than is appreciated.

I think the capital investment required to not only create, but to distribute the needed electrical energy for wide-spread EV adoption, will make the costs of this nation's cell network look like financial peanuts.

This discussion had me search the internet to look at a list of recent electrical power generating stations built in the last few years, what the source of energy is, and what the electrical power output those stations create.

It was laughable. The vast majority of new electrical plants were solar, and had laughable power output. I mean absolutely laughable. Only recent NG plants created any real electricity, and they were few and far between. And most of those appeared to be replacements for older plants, not new capacity being added.

The EPA needs to start letting companies build new Nuclear plants, but that hasn't happened in decades now.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Having the EPA ease up is a pipe dream after this election.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ever drive a Tesla on Ludicrous Speed?
It was a revelation for me (top model S). Still remember my daughter screaming, and my wife developed a headache. It was violent; it I hadn't corrected immediately, I'd have ended up on the guardrail, so an all-out launch in ludicrous mode is not for beginners. After that, I only did a few 'WOT' roll-ons, which were impressive as well. I got it up to 120 in what felt like a fraction of a second. Have a new respect for them, but my guess as a car enthusiast is I'd be bored with one after the first day. Ha ha. But it was significantly quicker than any other car I've driven, which includes several Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, and a new GT2RS recently.

Last edited:

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
That's an interesting point.

Tastes and interests tend to be cyclical.

Are "car" companies pushing big SUVs and Crossovers because they're more profitable? Or are they simply the current vehicle de jur, so everyone is buying them? I think certain SUVs/COs are more profitable, like those built on shared chassis, which I'd guess most of them are. Hell, I remember the original Honda CRV was built on a Civic or Accord chassis. I was selling Hondas when they came out, and a Ford engineer came into the showroom and asked if he could poke around the CRV in our showroom. He pulled out the carpet in the trunk area, and confirmed that the floor-pan was from another Honda, he could tell by the stampings.

So if the Mustang can continue on with it's chassis based on one used for other vehicles, that would speak well for it's future.

It is possible that tastes could change in a swing back to coupes and sedans. People just must be getting sick and freakin' tired of driving those huge behemoths. I mean, have you seen a Nissan Armada? Have you seen one of those beasts? And something that could help with that is people like us letting folks drive our cars. Let them feel the control, poise and sophistication. Let them feel what real brakes feels like, real control feels like, what a great ride feels like. Let them see how huge the trunk is.

ETA; One other thought; there are people that are NOT interested in all the complex tech. It's just overwhelming for them, stops them from buying vehicles that are laden with it. Offering a Premium interior, but skipping some of the Big Tech crap in it, would be an interesting idea. Ditch SYNC, or offer a toned-down version of it. Still have a nice big LCD screen that makes using the stereo and HVAC super easy, but get rid of many different sub-screens where stuff is buried, and presented in tech-speak.

Anyways......those are some idle thoughts.
Interesting post. I briefly had a 2020 Mustang Ecoboost convertible. Pretty much hated it. Friends commented that it rode like a dump truck. (It was pretty awful on anything but new pavement). It was noisy. The 10 speed auto was a jerky mess that pissed me off every time I drove it. But the other big thing people complained about was the difficulty getting in and out of it. I personally could deal with that aspect, but people are used to SUV’S now, and they are indeed much easier to get in and out of, plus roomier for passengers and cargo. The days of low slung 2 doors cars being popular are probably over for good. There’s no no doubt room for a few niche market players though. Ford needs to make a base Mustang that’s smooth riding and more refined too. The current model rides far worse than the base model in the prior generation. Not everyone wants a race car. And even then the question is will enough people still buy them to make Ford bother? They dumped the Fusion even though it was an attractive and nice car that still sold in good numbers. And it was made in Mexico with low labor costs. If they’d kill that, the gas Mustang is definitely on thin ice. I’d give it a 50/50 chance to last another decade. Putting the Mustang name on the Mach E might be a serious clue what the long team plan Is. I hope the traditional Mustang stays around. Maybe they will eventually figure out the 10 speed auto and improve the ride. The styling inside and out is excellent.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I agree completely there are many problems with electric cars. The power grid being the biggest (IMO) at this point. Currently mass adoption of eletric cars is nothing more than a future dream. That’s why I compared them to the cell phone buildup. Towers were virtually none existent 30 years ago. Now they are everywhere. The investment was massive to put up these tower but yet the profit was there so the capital followed.

Electrics cars contain fewer parts and are much cheaper to produce outside of the battery. As soon as battery technology improves enough and get cheap enough they will start to replace ICE vehicles at scale. I think 15 years is a pretty good estimate but that depends on technological breakthroughs which of course are unpredictable. That’s two full battery generations at current pace.

IMO electric is the future from a pure profit standpoint of the manufactures. Technology always follows the money.
Electric cars sure. But i don't see lithium batteries being the future. Where will all of the platinum come from? Thats the expensive, and rare material, that lithium batteries are made from.

Someone mentioned it earlier, i believe itll be something along the lines of the solid oxide fuel cell technology. Much cheaper, and more efficient.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's my point.

Mustang's (in particular) aren't expensive, and they aren't toys. But that's the perception they get, and I think they get it from overly-infatuated Mustang owners that treat their cars like delicate jewels that can only be used on nice, sunny days.

They are truly solid daily drivers. Large, roomy (for 2 people), a huge trunk, easy to get in and out of. And they're just fine in snowy conditions with the right tires. Even regular all-seasons work just fine in all but the deepest of snowy weather.

Other than maybe someone with several kids, they're fantastic for year-'round daily driving. An EB Premium 10A would be a really, really solid DD choice for year-'round use.
They are expensive though. Let's not pretend 30-40k is cheap just because there are cars that cost more. Its a difficult pill to swallow if it can't be your every day car. Obviously we know you can daily them, but the average person doesn't see that.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Look at any fuel station, how many vehicles are fueling? In my area the fuel islands are full of vehicles getting fuel.
Most vehicle average 350 miles on a tank and take 5 minutes to fuel.

Battery operated vehicles less range longer fill up time. Since range is shorter you will need to charge your batteries more often at a slower pace. Where are they all gonna recharge, and at what cost? Talk about long lines.....

Sponsored

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
When the rolling brown outs hit more frequently I’ll smile even more in my 550.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I'll give you my Mustang if Ford DQ's it from their line. Just look me up (or down, it might be a while) when it happens.
Thanks . Oh and btw, it seems when I type on this I seem to get a lot of typos. Sorry for that.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
That's an interesting point.

Tastes and interests tend to be cyclical.

Are "car" companies pushing big SUVs and Crossovers because they're more profitable? Or are they simply the current vehicle de jur, so everyone is buying them? I think certain SUVs/COs are more profitable, like those built on shared chassis, which I'd guess most of them are. Hell, I remember the original Honda CRV was built on a Civic or Accord chassis. I was selling Hondas when they came out, and a Ford engineer came into the showroom and asked if he could poke around the CRV in our showroom. He pulled out the carpet in the trunk area, and confirmed that the floor-pan was from another Honda, he could tell by the stampings.

So if the Mustang can continue on with it's chassis based on one used for other vehicles, that would speak well for it's future.

It is possible that tastes could change in a swing back to coupes and sedans. People just must be getting sick and freakin' tired of driving those huge behemoths. I mean, have you seen a Nissan Armada? Have you seen one of those beasts? And something that could help with that is people like us letting folks drive our cars. Let them feel the control, poise and sophistication. Let them feel what real brakes feels like, real control feels like, what a great ride feels like. Let them see how huge the trunk is.

ETA; One other thought; there are people that are NOT interested in all the complex tech. It's just overwhelming for them, stops them from buying vehicles that are laden with it. Offering a Premium interior, but skipping some of the Big Tech crap in it, would be an interesting idea. Ditch SYNC, or offer a toned-down version of it. Still have a nice big LCD screen that makes using the stereo and HVAC super easy, but get rid of many different sub-screens where stuff is buried, and presented in tech-speak.

Anyways......those are some idle thoughts.
There are ways to get younger people interested in coupes. I say the car companies market the SUV and crossovers because they do. How many commercials do you see on TV for the Mustang? Camaro? Challenger? I don’t see them. I see a crapload of suv and crossover commercials though. Even ads online are all those vehicles and not coupes. Companies are still investing in them though, especially luxury brands like Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Infiniti, and others. Will coupes become something for only the wealthy? I don’t think it should just be aspirational. My Mustang will fit a car seat. It has a big trunk and gets good mpg. If it had AWD, admittedly- it’d be perfect but snow tires do a good job.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
There are ways to get younger people interested in coupes. I say the car companies market the SUV and crossovers because they do. How many commercials do you see on TV for the Mustang? Camaro? Challenger? I don’t see them. I see a crapload of suv and crossover commercials though. Even ads online are all those vehicles and not coupes. Companies are still investing in them though, especially luxury brands like Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Infiniti, and others. Will coupes become something for only the wealthy? I don’t think it should just be aspirational. My Mustang will fit a car seat. It has a big trunk and gets good mpg. If it had AWD, admittedly- it’d be perfect but snow tires do a good job.
In an alternate world your comments would make total sense. Unfortunately in our current world they don’t. Young people are not really into cars to start with. Those that are probably wouldn’t be looking for an American coupe because they really do not make sense. Insurance is expensive as are gas costs (even in the EB).

Advertising is designed to bring a consumer to your brand, not a specific type of vehicle. FCA is the only company advertising their performance vehicles because, well what else do they have? GM & Ford as going to push trucks and SUV/CUV’s because that’s where the volume is.

Let’s be honest, how many folks are buying luxury coupes as their primary daily driver. Heck, most Mustang owners have a second car/truck/SUV for daily use. Yes you can put a child seat in your Mustang but does it really make sense for everyday use?

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Whole thing makes no difference to me, I'm keeping this car until I'm pushing daisies. The thing is just too damn much fun to sell. I'll likely end up in an ecar daily driver some day, but this gasser isn't going anywhere while I'm still around.
Sponsored