Sponsored

S550 may be eliminated sooner rather then later...

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
I didn't pay much attention to the release of the Mach-E GT.. I thought it odd they called it a Mustang.
After reading the performance data on the GT version I think the S550 platform might be put out to pasture sooner than I expected.
Certainly have no issue with battery powered cars, simply think my neighbors should buy them.
I'll wait till the range and recharge options gain momentum.
Any insight on this forum about the S550 and what Ford's plans are?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I didn't pay much attention to the release of the Mach-E GT.. I thought it odd they called it a Mustang.
After reading the performance data on the GT version I think the S550 platform might be put out to pasture sooner than I expected.
Certainly have no issue with battery powered cars, simply think my neighbors should buy them.
I'll wait till the range and recharge options gain momentum.
Any insight on this forum about the S550 and what Ford's plans are?
The S550 will be replaced in 2022 (as a 2023 model) with the S650. That’s really all we have right now. Lots of speculation but nothing concrete.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Changes are abound but I am not in any rush. Ford can keep its minivan chassis and dct auto.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I know one driver that will never own drive electric. Thinking about RC, not much improvement for the run time there. Also knowing the $$$$ difference of the R&D is to be considered.

But a battery is a battery.

Sponsored

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
I know one driver that will never own drive electric. Thinking about RC, not much improvement for the run time there. Also knowing the $$$$ difference of the R&D is to be considered.

But a battery is a battery.
When I was weighing what to get it was between the Mustang GT or a Tesla model 3. This was my first purchase new and what tipped the scale was the realization that the Mustang would most likely be the last and only gas vehicle I will ever buy.

Fuck the future, 16 year old me would be so proud of me now!

Plus the range and charging issues still abound.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
When I was weighing what to get it was between the Mustang GT or a Tesla model 3. This was my first purchase new and what tipped the scale was the realization that the Mustang would most likely be the last and only gas vehicle I will ever buy.

Fuck the future, 16 year old me would be so proud of me now!

Plus the range and charging issues still abound.
I agree limited range, run out of juice. Who would someone ask for a gallon of battery to get to a charging station ?

Does a battery car ever need a jump start?

On a serious note, think I saw a Tesla in the home depot parking lot. Looked like it had solar panels for a roof. Was that Tesla, day was over cast bad ?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I also think the Mach-E is the beginning of the end to phase out the gas Mustangs. An electric Mustang SUV makes ZERO sense to me, especially when the 'old' gas Mustangs are still on sale, other than Ford wants it now to gain acceptance as the Mustang replacement, and ease the transition. It's no secret Ford is getting rid of its cars, and the world is pushing to get rid of internal combustion engines, so it doesn't take a genius to guess which model is on its way out :).

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Nice clickbait thread title.........you should start a YouTube channel ;)

Plenty of discussion on the pros and cons of the Mach E here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ely-after-nov-17-live-streamed-reveal.131559/

S550 will be replaced by S650 (utilizing a very heavily revised version of the existing platform, but with elements of CD6, too). That is expected to have an 8 year lifecycle, so there sky isn't falling just yet :)
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tang-will-have-full-8-year-life-cycle.146471/

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I also think the Mach-E is the beginning of the end to phase out the gas Mustangs. An electric Mustang SUV makes ZERO sense to me, especially when the 'old' gas Mustangs are still on sale, other than Ford wants it now to gain acceptance as the Mustang replacement, and ease the transition. It's no secret Ford is getting rid of its cars, and the world is pushing to get rid of internal combustion engines, so it doesn't take a genius to guess which model is on its way out :).
Been aging that all along. Coupe sales are becoming increasingly smaller over time as car companies push big SUVs and crossovers because they’re more profitable. Now the Mach-e was named Mustang because I estimated that in about 10 years, perhaps less, the Mach-e will be the Mustang and the coupes will Ben discontinued. Perhaps there will be a coupe in a high dollar price range like the Corvette- produced in limited numbers, but the days of the “coupe for the everyman” are definitely numbered. No matter what powers them. The only way to stop it is to push buying coupes again. All coupes. Don’t know how to do that, but IMO, it’s the only way to stave off they elimination of the Mustang as we know it.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.......Coupe sales are becoming increasingly smaller over time as car companies push big SUVs and crossovers because they’re more profitable.....
That's an interesting point.

Tastes and interests tend to be cyclical.

Are "car" companies pushing big SUVs and Crossovers because they're more profitable? Or are they simply the current vehicle de jur, so everyone is buying them? I think certain SUVs/COs are more profitable, like those built on shared chassis, which I'd guess most of them are. Hell, I remember the original Honda CRV was built on a Civic or Accord chassis. I was selling Hondas when they came out, and a Ford engineer came into the showroom and asked if he could poke around the CRV in our showroom. He pulled out the carpet in the trunk area, and confirmed that the floor-pan was from another Honda, he could tell by the stampings.

So if the Mustang can continue on with it's chassis based on one used for other vehicles, that would speak well for it's future.

It is possible that tastes could change in a swing back to coupes and sedans. People just must be getting sick and freakin' tired of driving those huge behemoths. I mean, have you seen a Nissan Armada? Have you seen one of those beasts? And something that could help with that is people like us letting folks drive our cars. Let them feel the control, poise and sophistication. Let them feel what real brakes feels like, real control feels like, what a great ride feels like. Let them see how huge the trunk is.

ETA; One other thought; there are people that are NOT interested in all the complex tech. It's just overwhelming for them, stops them from buying vehicles that are laden with it. Offering a Premium interior, but skipping some of the Big Tech crap in it, would be an interesting idea. Ditch SYNC, or offer a toned-down version of it. Still have a nice big LCD screen that makes using the stereo and HVAC super easy, but get rid of many different sub-screens where stuff is buried, and presented in tech-speak.

Anyways......those are some idle thoughts.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Wait until the kids start driving the electric Mustangs (the real ones, not the SUV thing) and smoking all us old guys in gassers! We will be able to make more passes though.

Ever drive a Tesla on Ludicrous Speed?

What they need to do is create universal battery packs that can be easily swapped out. Imagine pulling in and in 30 seconds a robot pulls out your depleted battery and pops in a new one...off you go. Need a shit-tonne of fancy chemicals though for all the batteries. Wonder how many it would take for an average "gas" station. Hmmm, might crunch some numbers if I get bored, but I sense it is a large number.

Better yet, how about a hydrogen fuel cell? It;s exhaust is water an oxygen. You could power the H factories with electricity you capture with geosynchronous spacecraft that beam down microwaves to collectors on Earth. Zero emissions. Totally dooable with current technology.

4 wheel drive with 4 brushless drive motors, one on each wheel. Just let that sink in and imagine the possibilities there folks. Gas fuel tech is not going to be able to compete on most levels.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's an interesting point.

Tastes and interests tend to be cyclical.

Are "car" companies pushing big SUVs and Crossovers because they're more profitable? Or are they simply the current vehicle de jur, so everyone is buying them? I think certain SUVs/COs are more profitable, like those built on shared chassis, which I'd guess most of them are. Hell, I remember the original Honda CRV was built on a Civic or Accord chassis. I was selling Hondas when they came out, and a Ford engineer came into the showroom and asked if he could poke around the CRV in our showroom. He pulled out the carpet in the trunk area, and confirmed that the floor-pan was from another Honda, he could tell by the stampings.

So if the Mustang can continue on with it's chassis based on one used for other vehicles, that would speak well for it's future.

It is possible that tastes could change in a swing back to coupes and sedans. People just must be getting sick and freakin' tired of driving those huge behemoths. I mean, have you seen a Nissan Armada? Have you seen one of those beasts? And something that could help with that is people like us letting folks drive our cars. Let them feel the control, poise and sophistication. Let them feel what real brakes feels like, real control feels like, what a great ride feels like. Let them see how huge the trunk is.

Anyways......those are some idle thoughts.
People have preferred SUV's for a while now, and coupes have continued to fall out of favor since the 90's. The problem as I see it is that people are extra pressed these days to have a car that can do it all, including handle all the kids they may have. A sports coupe seems laughably impractical in comparison, and the average person isn't willing to compromise for fun and style, or even a good driving experience. People aren't earning enough money to have what they see as an expensive toy in addition to their "do it all" crossover.

As far as the electric/technology aspect, I'm not worrying about it for the moment. Eventually gas engine cars will be phased out, this is obvious. So I'm going to enjoy the cheap gas while it's still around, before you have to have 55 gallon drums shipped to your house with a $100 tax applied.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Been aging that all along. Coupe sales are becoming increasingly smaller over time as car companies push big SUVs and crossovers because they’re more profitable. Now the Mach-e was named Mustang because I estimated that in about 10 years, perhaps less, the Mach-e will be the Mustang and the coupes will Ben discontinued. Perhaps there will be a coupe in a high dollar price range like the Corvette- produced in limited numbers, but the days of the “coupe for the everyman” are definitely numbered. No matter what powers them. The only way to stop it is to push buying coupes again. All coupes. Don’t know how to do that, but IMO, it’s the only way to stave off they elimination of the Mustang as we know it.
I'll give you my Mustang if Ford DQ's it from their line. Just look me up (or down, it might be a while) when it happens.