S550 GT500 in Car and Driver

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
That would be the dumbest move ever. The next hi-pop won't be doing that.
Two points: they've already done it with the GT. From a pure performance perspective, one of the dumbest things they did was to forego an even better version of the Voodoo in favor of the Ecoboost for that car.

Secondly, it's Ford, and while they have had flashes of brilliance over the years, they don't have the best track record of keeping performance as Job 1. Winning the HP war probably isn't as important to them as promoting an engine program they've already invested hundreds of millions in. Hence, the Ecoboost GT.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Two points: they've already done it with the GT. From a pure performance perspective, one of the dumbest things they did was to forego an even better version of the Voodoo in favor of the Ecoboost for that car.

The GT was built to win Le Mans. And to do that it had to run in a specific class....and that class called for forced induction engines of 4 litres or less. Yes, they could have used the Coyote or Voodoo in normally aspirated form, but it would not have had the power to win. Ford had a ready made, and already race proven engine, in the Ecoboost 6. That's why its in the GT :)

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Makes sense. Either way, I hope the next halo Mustang is anything but a V6.

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
Amen man.... that would put out insane power. With the 755 hp number floating around, they are either pourposly restricting flow to a 5.2 TT hahaha, maybe its a 4.6TT or a supercharged 5.2, my guess, its the latter... Maybe they will have enough cooling to keep it from heat soaking. I hear the zl1 can go all day with no heat soak...so maybe it can be done.

Ford could definitely make it easier on themselves with a turbo set up.
Make it a twin turbo 4.6 for the heritage and call it a Cobra.

That would be better than ford having a gt350 and a gt500 imo.

Bring back the Cobra!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Make it a twin turbo 4.6 for the heritage and call it a Cobra.

That would be better than ford having a gt350 and a gt500 imo.

Bring back the Cobra!
I would say avoid 4.6 displacement like the plague! 4.6 is synonymous with "boat anchor" in my mind. Yes, Ford made one decent variant of that engine, but by far most of the 4.6 engines were worthless.

Sponsored

healntoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 GT350 Convertible
I stopped trying to anticipate the timing for a new halo Mustang...yes
I do believe one is on the way and do believe that it will be a TT V8. And I believe that it is far more advanced in it's development than we would imagine. Ford is anticipating some word from FCA with specifics about the Demon before showing their hand. They are not lagging behind and will blow us all away a beast of a muscle car!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I don't believe that ford will try and compete with the demon. They do R&D to at least recoup their fees. This tells me they need to sell in the 10 to 15,000 range for the GT500/Cobra. This isn't gonna be a slap on a fender body like the demon. This is going to be a well thought out race car, not a afterthought drag strip car, like the demon.

Dodge did a nice job hyping the demon, mildly reinforcing the drive train and stuffing a shit load of HP in it. They only plan on selling 2 to 3,000 demons a year for a couple years, further ringing out the old platform.

The thing won't be fun to drive like the GT500/cobra will be, but it will have the HP king numbers. Those Mopar or no car guys don't care about how great a car is to drive, just that it has the numbers.

The gt500/cobra isn't going to be a drag strip only car, if ford wanted to destroy the Demon, it would, but it's not what it's after. Ford wants to sell cars, and only selling 4 to 6000 units of a drag strip street car isn't one they want to pursue, they would rather that buyer jump ship. They have a non street legal drag car and that's good enough for them.

Ford figures they will make a great driving all around track and strip car that is FUN to drive on the street and will sell 15,000 units instead of 5 to 6000 strip only that are not fun to drive on the street.

I'm speculating of course, but I'm a business owner and making a car like the demon doesn't make good business sense. I like that it's over the top, but that over the top really isn't gonns be any fun to drive unless your at a drag strip and in that case you may as well haul it in, like most do.
Last I heard the demon was running mid 9s. I expect there will be a share of ford buyers that jump ship because they do a lot of drag racing, but for me I couldn't get a demon for more than one reason 1) the thing is ugly 2) it won't be fun to drive, unless at a strip and 3) it will have zero handling characteristics that I like in a car.

healntoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 GT350 Convertible
Agreed that Ford is not interested in building a drag car but will want it to turn in strong qtr mile numbers. That said, they are interested in offering an all around performer but they are very much in on the HP war. Likely working on besting the Camaro as a track focused car while making a strong showing in every other area of performance

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I agree, the Gt500/cobra will be a great all around car. Demon...not so much. Its easy to stuff HP in a car and make it fast. With only 6,000 of them ever being made, most will set in garages, so I'll never have the chance to embarrass one on the street. Oh well...shhhhh...street racing is wrong anyway.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
You guys are missing it, we are all missing it :(

It is being tested in '15-'17 skin, potentially using a GT350 or even Roush fascia.

Roll your damn windows down! You need to pay attention to the sound. It could be using 350/Roush exhaust tips. Don't let them get away!

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
If Ford can deliver a GT500 that can handle and do the 1/4 mile in the 10's stock (on stock tires) they'll have a winner.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I do agree that Ford will build a balanced Mustang that will excel in most parameters but will not be an all out quarter mile car like the Demon. Now, I would be happy to have a Demon like car. I get a thrill out of having straight line performers. If the car handles reasonably well and has extreme horsepower, I am happy.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm speculating of course, but I'm a business owner and making a car like the demon doesn't make good business sense. I like that it's over the top, but that over the top really isn't gonns be any fun to drive unless your at a drag strip and in that case you may as well haul it in, like most do.
Last I heard the demon was running mid 9s. I expect there will be a share of ford buyers that jump ship because they do a lot of drag racing, but for me I couldn't get a demon for more than one reason 1) the thing is ugly 2) it won't be fun to drive, unless at a strip and 3) it will have zero handling characteristics that I like in a car.
Maybe you're right, but I think a lot of people will want one just for bragging rights.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You guys are missing it, we are all missing it :(

It is being tested in '15-'17 skin, potentially using a GT350 or even Roush fascia.

Roll your damn windows down! You need to pay attention to the sound. It could be using 350/Roush exhaust tips. Don't let them get away!

More that likely.

However, at some point they'll have to test it with a production front/rear end, even if its camo'd. Only once we see the prototypes will we have a better idea as to when it'll be officially released.
Sponsored