Sponsored

S550 Double Ball Joint Macpherson Strut Front Suspension [Video & Pics]

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm curious about where the control arms connect to the chassis. Looking at Ando's post I see that it has to twist at the mount point. It seems like a rubber bushing would wear out and flex to much for good control. I think a sphere bearing would be the best there.

The design has been in use for about a decade and the hydrobushings last plenty long for street cars.
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
With the right geometry of the tension link and lateral link, camber gain could be very respectable for a Mac-Strut suspension.

Comments?
Camber gain is probably still negligible for a strut when compared to a upper & lower arm setup.

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The design has been in use for about a decade and the hydrobushings last plenty long for street cars.
Yeah, and I'm sure the hydrobushings help with NVH. I wonder how they hold up with moderate track use.

Camber gain is probably still negligible for a strut when compared to a upper & lower arm setup.
Camber will never be as good with a macpherson strut as compared to a double wishbone. On a macpherson you will start going back towards positive camber under enough compression. That's why you need longer ball joints and a bump steer kit when you lower a car with macpherson struts. People don't realize just how much they screw up suspension geometry by lowering.
Sponsored