S197 coolant bottle stains on 4l v6

Bigjohn3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 s197
Hi I know this is a different model but does anyone have any idea if this coolant bottle looks ok this 4l v6 2007 model.
Screenshot_20190310-231542_WhatsApp.jpg
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
S197 expansion caps are prone to failure, I had to replace the one on my '05 GT even with less that 20k miles.

I'd buy a new cap (ensure you get the correct pressure rating) replace it and clean the expansion tank so you can see if there's any more leakage. The color doesn't look too healthy, but that could just be mixed with road grime, so difficult to tell.

OP
OP

Bigjohn3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 s197
This is a car for sale I went looking at guy uses as a daily driver I'm more worried if it'last enough to cause overheating. Engine sounded fun up to temp nothing weird but I also could see the fluid level in the tank.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Post a link to the advert if you have one.........I take it you're from Oldham in the UK? I'm also live in the UK, so may recognise the car in question or can at least ask on a specific UK Mustang FB group.

If the car ran OK and came up to temperature OK, I'd hope it'll be fine, but I can understand your concern. Did the oil look OK? Did you check under the oil filler cap?

OP
OP

Bigjohn3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 s197
Sadly not yet checked the oil as it started snowing heavy and halted inspections. It's this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254144484789

Car seems clean all paperwork and service receipts etc but that bottle worries me.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If its local enough, I'd pay another visit.

He's on the Mustang Owners Club GB forum, albeit he's only posted 4 times, twice on his link to selling the car, and twice on this post about buying a new coil pack.

https://www.mocgb.net/forums/forum/technical-questions/-05-to-14-s197/79390-mustang-coil-pack

He mentions he's used the same garage for 10 years, so it might be worth seeing if you can locate the garage and ask their advice.

The older V6 in the SN95 was prone to head gasket failure, but I'm not aware of the 4.0 in the S197 being a problem. If the oil looks good (no mayo under the cap) and it doesn't overheat on a good run, fingers crossed it just needs a new expansion cap.

Parts are easy enough to get. You can use USAutomotive based in the UK, or the likes of RockAuto, who ship to the UK.

FWIW, the car looks a nice one in a good spec.....and a good price :)

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The themostat housing are prone to leaking, about 60 dollar part at advance in USA. Very easy repair, 30 minutes.
Also check right side firewall wink valve that let's water exit from windsheild area. They are usually closed up.

Looks like engine has traces of radiator water in multiple areas leads to believe owner has neglected problem (themostat housing,) and added water, which turned to rust etc..

Buy a CSPG (cooling system pressure gauge) and anti freeze tester, you need both anyway. Both test will take only 5 minutes very easy to do.

Try to keep owner of vehicle in the dark cause they believe they have a blown head gasket. You will see pressure drop and light water spray around themostat housing.

Once confirmed themostat housing is leaking tell owner they have problems (they are thinking head gasket) then low ball them for trying to stick it to you.

Those are tough motors, 24-27 mpg.

OP
OP

Bigjohn3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 s197
It is a lovely car full history but he is not a car savvy type more a general driver etc nice fella. But I wouldn't want the car to have overheated and kept on driving as I don't think he would know to be fair. It's got fully history no vin problems which I like just worried on any overheating issues. Had a 10 min drive in car which seemed ok but sadly couldn't undo expansion tank cause of heat. I asked for pic of fluid in bottle. I need check oil, get more pics etc. You a mechanic yourself?

OP
OP

Bigjohn3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 s197
The themostat housing are prone to leaking, about 60 dollar part at advance in USA. Very easy repair, 30 minutes.
Also check right side firewall wink valve that let's water exit from windsheild area. They are usually closed up.

Looks like engine has traces of radiator water in multiple areas leads to believe owner has neglected problem (themostat housing,) and added water, which turned to rust etc..

Buy a CSPG (cooling system pressure gauge) and anti freeze tester, you need both anyway. Both test will take only 5 minutes very easy to do.

Try to keep owner of vehicle in the dark cause they believe they have a blown head gasket. You will see pressure drop and light water spray around themostat housing.

Once confirmed themostat housing is leaking tell owner they have problems (they are thinking head gasket) then low ball them for trying to stick it to you.

Those are tough motors, 24-27 mpg.
Cars done 111000 miles but could running it daily with a leaking thermos or cap cause head gasket issues?

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
All of that makes a nice story but facts are facts, no need to remove expansion tank this will prove nothing.
Water leak is very small (if themostat housing) and will not be appearance for some time. This issue will not show up on work history because it had not been repaired.
The cooling system pressure test will give you facts.
1. Bad cap
2. Themostat housing leak
3. Leak in a hose
4. Unknown leak possibly head gasket
The antifreeze test will give you facts.
1. Excessive water in coolant system (proven water added over and over)
#. Indicator for need of coolant flush

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bigjohn3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 s197
Would it be wise to do a back pressure test also let car idle and see if it builds up pressure quickly before it's hot.

OP
OP

Bigjohn3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang v6 s197
Guy got back to me and said coolant is low near to bottom of tank! It's a blue colour light blue he said. Got my kits on way to test. He's got it in garage tomorrow to do coolant and possibly pressure test himself. Wonder what damage this can do to engine...
Sponsored