Sponsored

S-Groove Rotors?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Been reading a lot about brakes and I apprecite ya'lls help thus far. I read that slotted brakes cause pads to warp faster but then drilled rotors cause rotors to warp faster under daily use. I don't daily my car though. I use a 250cc bike to get to work.

I digress. Has anyone found a good slotted rotor and semi-metallic pad combo for sale? Do I have to buy them separate? Should I really stick with OEM spec hardware since I am still a novice? Is S-groove a better alternative for a street/track duty rotor?

Any insight will help or showing me a good brake guide for the track as most online are for daily drone driving. Thanks guys!
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Pads don't warp, but either slots or holes will tend to wear them faster. That may reduce the chance of glazing the pads, but the bigger advantages may lie in wet braking and less rotor scoring from road debris.

Crossdrilled rotors do have a greater likelihood of cracking under hard use than either plain or slotted/grooved.

On track, both rotors and pads are "consumables" - you will wear them below what's acceptable. Many of us run plain rotors, as you might as well wear out the less expensive kind.

Quite a few of us like Carbotech XP-series or G-loc 'R' pads, and there are more than a few fans of Ferodo pads. Hawk's track pads get some love too, but tend to be overly harsh on rotors in street driving so you'd be on the hook for a lot more pad swapping with them. Personally, I think XP10 or R10 would be a good place for you to start. They have good initial bite, are not hard on your rotors (about the same as Hawk's street-only HPS pads), and still have decent bite at temperatures down into the low 20°F range.

Norm

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Pads don't warp, but either slots or holes will tend to wear them faster. That may reduce the chance of glazing the pads, but the bigger advantages may lie in wet braking and less rotor scoring from road debris.

Crossdrilled rotors do have a greater likelihood of cracking under hard use than either plain or slotted/grooved.

On track, both rotors and pads are "consumables" - you will wear them below what's acceptable. Many of us run plain rotors, as you might as well wear out the less expensive kind.

Quite a few of us like Carbotech XP-series or G-loc 'R' pads, and there are more than a few fans of Ferodo pads. Hawk's track pads get some love too, but tend to be overly harsh on rotors in street driving so you'd be on the hook for a lot more pad swapping with them. Personally, I think XP10 or R10 would be a good place for you to start. They have good initial bite, are not hard on your rotors (about the same as Hawk's street-only HPS pads), and still have decent bite at temperatures down into the low 20°F range.

Norm
Found out why I can't find them. They're Bembo brakes. I'm on 4 piston calipers. Probably not worth investing a few thousand dollars since I have a kid on the way.

Not a money issue but a time issue. Glad I never boosted my 2012 Civic Si. I had the money, not the time due to being a Veteran in college.
Sponsored