Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
Thanks ford for making my decision easier. I was going to pull the trigger next summer for a '16 or '17 GT PP but with a new front fascia coming a year later, I rather wait. Hopefully they get rid of those generic fog lights and make the front less taurus/fusion like.
If you are wondering what the front fascia might look like with the first refresh, take a look at the Evos. That concept car was presented in 2011 as the new design language for Ford vehicles. My guess is the Mustang will morph into something that looks closer to the Evos in the next 5 years. I think the hood would not get as short as the Evos, because it looks like the concept car could only fit a small 4 banger under the hood. The possible return of the Mach 1 for 2018 means we can anticipate more hp than the current GT. The S550 platform will probably be with us for about 10 years, so the proportions shouldn't change much, just the details.
Sponsored

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
I hope they bring the 10 speed out before 2018. It would be a mistake not to. Also when will the MT-82 be replaced?

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I liked the Mach-1s from 03-04. Correct me if I'm wrong and this would be ridiculous to most people but didnt the 03/04 Mach-1 with manual tansmissions have a forged crank shaft that was shared with the Termi?

The Mach-1 would need to be 70 or so more HP over the GT or just use the voodoo in a GT with a stick axle or hardcore IRS setup and call it a drag pack, ultra lite brakes, stripped down interior with little or no power options or radio.

Or a 1000 HP twin turbo setup.

Sponsored

351MachOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I liked the Mach-1s from 03-04. Correct me if I'm wrong and this would be ridiculous to most people but didnt the 03/04 Mach-1 with manual tansmissions have a forged crank shaft that was shared with the Termi?

The Mach-1 would need to be 70 or so more HP over the GT or just use the voodoo in a GT with a stick axle or hardcore IRS setup and call it a drag pack, ultra lite brakes, stripped down interior with little or no power options or radio.

Or a 1000 HP twin turbo setup.
The 32V 4.6 was all aluminum, had the Termi heads, special cams, etc.

I would love a performance + version in the s550. Unfortunately, I would just be watching from the sidelines at this point.

Not sure if there is room in the lineup for that car. The leap from GT PP to GT350 is significant. Think they can squeeze one more in? :shrug:

Br725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Prem/PP/ruby red/premier int.
God is trade my car in a heartbeat for a well done 6th gen Mach1

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
WTF. it's not even 2016. These guys sure think ahead, lol.
They have to, there's a lot of lead time involved with bringing a new model to market, even one that's refresh of a current model. Any new parts go through many steps of development, from prototype to validation to preproduction. And that's all after the initial design work and sign off is done. Part of the reason that cars often go through 4-5 year model cycles is that's how long it takes to bring out a replacement.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
CO mach 1 would be hard to pass up on.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Here's my last Mach 1 - an Azure Blue '03 with manual trans and 4.30 gears....

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
For me, Mach 1 means big powered drag racer. The high water mark was the 1969-1970 Mach 1 with 351 & 390 cubic inch V8's and especially the mighty 428 Cobra Jets and Super Cobra Jets. Those Mach 1's were straight line rockets.

A modern Mach 1 could be mostly set up for the straight line, IMO, while the GT PP really shines in the twisties. The GT PP is really a car for cornering with surgical precision, while the Mach 1 is all about brute power.

Historically, Boss 302's and GT350's are road racers, while Mach 1's and GT500's are built for a straight line (predominantly), so I don't think the Mach 1 would replace the GT350, but I could see it replacing the GT500 someday (i.e. if SAI and Ford part ways).
I would agree the big block Machs were best for straight lines, but all had better suspensions for the curves. Of course the 351s did better there.

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
If you are wondering what the front fascia might look like with the first refresh, take a look at the Evos. That concept car was presented in 2011 as the new design language for Ford vehicles. My guess is the Mustang will morph into something that looks closer to the Evos in the next 5 years. I think the hood would not get as short as the Evos, because it looks like the concept car could only fit a small 4 banger under the hood. The possible return of the Mach 1 for 2018 means we can anticipate more hp than the current GT. The S550 platform will probably be with us for about 10 years, so the proportions shouldn't change much, just the details.
I seriously doubt it that the Mustang will lean toward the Evos look. If anything, they will go the other way. The truth is that it surprised me that only 3 years into the model they already planing on changing the front fascia. I guess they heard all those fans complaining about the Euro look. I can't think of another reason why they would change it so fast. The S-197 didn't change until 2010 model. I also read that by 2020 they will make an extensive redesign. Probably like the '09 vs '10 redesign. Anyways, in the summer of 2017 I'll make my decision. If the new fascia is closer to the Evos than I'll just go for the 2017.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Well, even though the Mustang's design cycles have typically run long, keep in mind that the typical design cycle in this industry is 4-5 year, and often involves a mid-cycle refresh. So, doing a nip/tuck in the third year is far from uncommon in general. But if they do update the 2018 car, I wouldn't expect another change until at least the '20MY, since its unlikely that they'll retool anything for just a one year run.

Actually, what we're (potentially) seeing here is a sort of repeat of the later S197 - after the major update of 2010, the car ran 3 model years before a refresh, then 2 years before a platform replacement. Though, here maybe we'll see a replacement platform run for 3 model years before a refresh, then 2 years to a major update...