Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Pity they don't show examples of their work in Linkedin ;)

Interesting info though, that would certainly point to a facelift for '18MY and an all new car for '20MY :headbang:
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Pity they don't show examples of their work in Linkedin ;)

Interesting info though, that would certainly point to a facelift for '18MY and an all new car for '20MY :headbang:

My guess:

Refresh-2018

all new *body*-2020

I don't think the platform of the S550 is going to be totally retired after only 5 MY's...hell the S197 lasted 9. The Camaro's Zeta was around in a few variations since 2004 and the Challenger is riding on roughly the same platform as the Charger from 2005...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Perhaps not all new, but significantly revised. Maybe more use of lightweight materials in the BIW?

S555? :thumbsup:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Perhaps not all new, but significantly revised. Maybe more use of lightweight materials in the BIW?

S555? :thumbsup:
My guess is something like the transition that happened in the S197 from 2009 to 2010 in preparation for the 5.0/3.7 drivetrains. Maybe more lightweight materials and provisions for the inevitable increased safety standards.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Now where the heck did you read that???

Why do people say this without any links or info or damn sources to back this up?? :tsk:
The sources quote other "sources" who are unnamed but supposedly people that are "in the know". With the demand that the Hellcat is seeing, and they way that they are pasting the engine across their lineup, I cannot see Dodge running away from them so soon. That is, of course, unless influence is coming from a source with seemingly unlimited funding and influence, that does not hesitate to exert that influence whenever it feels like it. The government regulations, if carried out, will be difficult for all auto makers to run from.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Someone on there is...Currently appointed as lead Design and Release engineer for the 2018 Mustang MCA program.

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
I just have a feeling it may be more on the side of already available features & a cosmetics package than an actual model, sort of like the GT/CS. The most recent Mach 1, if you take away the 4V 4.6, was pretty much a GT with a track package and the classic Mach 1 cosmetic bits.

They didn't have a performance package for regular GTs at that time, and now that there is one, the exclusivity of bigger brakes, better struts/shocks/springs and a different rear end gear is lost on the Mach 1.

That leaves the engine and cosmetics. The 5.0 seems pretty much like a solid package unless they change the intake, load it with a tune and include an FRPP exhaust. I don't really see what else they could do short of add a supercharger...but that's not a Mach 1 trait. It definitely won't have the distinction that the 4V 4.6 did over the 2v.

And all that leaves is the cosmetics. Chin spoiler, grille delete, some wheels that hopefully don't look like the classic Mach wheels, as they'd be quite out of place on the SS50, and some black bits on the panels. I'm not quite sure a Shaker hood scoop would look right on these cars, intakes sticking through the hood is way too retro for modern car designs.

That said, I hope it does turn out to be something that actually has some unique value as older Mach 1s did. But, if it's really just going to be a GTPP with Mach 1 body parts, that'd be a shame and quite frankly a scam if they charge north of $40,000

Functional air through the hood airscoop could be interesting but probably difficult to engineer.

Different intake and snorkle/filter like on the Bullit seems like a good possibility. Something like a slightly more serious performance pack, OR a performance pack with an automatic option seems like a good idea.(03 machs with an auto and a SRA are kinda sought after)

Lastly, a non-pansy sounding exhaust be it a Boss302 style side pipe with removable baffles or just an honest to god H/X pipe wjth the touring mufflers.

And for god's sake...

No god awful 30+ pound wheels.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Ford will probably swing and miss again. They had a chance to convert me to a Ford guy, but when they put that crap ass of a transmission in the Boss, they showed their true colors. Do not care about performance only bottom line and profit.

Dave

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
Not sure if this was brought up already. I just posted about it in the general forums, but the Ford incentives programs had this option:

"2.Program #35394: $500 Bonus Cash offer exclusively for active members of an eligible First Responders Association who are residents of the United States. Offer is valid from 02/15/2016 through 01/03/2017 for the purchase or lease of an eligible new 2015/2016/2017 model year Ford vehicle (not available on Mustang Shelby GT500, Mustang Boss 302, Focus Electric and F-150 Raptor)."

Does that mean the Boss is coming back instead of the Mach 1?

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I suspect that's just been cut n pasted from a previous doc.....with just the model years changed :)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
My guess:

Refresh-2018

all new *body*-2020

I don't think the platform of the S550 is going to be totally retired after only 5 MY's...hell the S197 lasted 9. The Camaro's Zeta was around in a few variations since 2004 and the Challenger is riding on roughly the same platform as the Charger from 2005...
Idk.

I can see a true all new platform for Mustang that gets shared with Lincoln.

The s550 is an in betweener. Just enough to call it all new.

But the s650 if that's really the platform name suggests an evolution of the current. Be great to see some new tech applied to get the weight down by a couple hundred pounds without weakening it like the Camaro.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
honestly think s650 will be all aluminum with 200lbs less fat. Plus some exterior changes, hope they don't mess with the fastback roofline.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
What if the Mach 1 name was repurposed and it was taken more literally... in other words, what if the Mach was the FI v8 track and strip monster.

That would make more sense if it co-exists with the GT350.

the GT Premium should be the luxury GT.

And the GT should get a big spec boost.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood