Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Never wait, you could die next week and miss out. It will only hurt if you spend 5, 10, 20 grand in mods but if you keep it stock or close to stock it will be no big deal.

Besides, if you run out of money you can always go on welfare, food stamps, obamacare, etc and just let me and the others pay for your life.:thumbsup:

Buy the car, hurry up and post pics.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Wonder what they'll do to it though, if it'll just be another body and suspension package or will they actually change the motor? What could they even offer if they did do that (the 5.2 FPC seems too exclusive to the GT350 to offer in other models)?

Either way, count me out of it's over $40k.

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Wonder what they'll do to it though, if it'll just be another body and suspension package or will they actually change the motor? What could they even offer if they did do that (the 5.2 FPC seems too exclusive to the GT350 to offer in other models)?

Either way, count me out of it's over $40k.
Kevin,

I would like to think that if the Mach 1 does appear that it would slot between the current GT and the Shelby (Maybe a GT500 by then) with hopefully a different motor and suspension like the 12-13 Boss 302. Maybe a little more Horsepower with a special appearance package and priced in the mid 40's. Time will tell of course but if I am going to go 40K for a GT a few more thousand to get something unique wouldn't bother me at all. I think a car placed between GT and Shelby would be perfect.

Sponsored

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
This is a tough one.

Right now, I'd be wanting a GT/CS, just like yourself, but then there's always something else just around the corner. The biggest problem for a prospective buyer is Ford are very very good at keeping secrets and not giving any clues as to future product.

The Mach 1 rumour started, if I recall correctly, a good 18 months to 2 years ago when Ford renewed their copyright to the Mach 1 name. However, this is no guarantee that there's a new one coming, it just means Ford retains the rights. This could just be for future marketing purposes (Ford used the Mach 1 logo at SEMA last year on the stand behind the King Cobra concept).

If you're going to find out about a future Mach 1, Mustang6g is likely where you'll hear it first.

Could Mach 1 be a final fling for S550 before it's first facelift? Or will it coincide with that facelift, which many think will be for the '18MY.

Personally, I'd ride out the show season (LA in Dec, Detroit in Jan) as that's likely where Ford will show any intent, if any.

If you're in a position to buy a GT/CS now, keep it mint and trade it in 18 months to 2 years, then do it, because it's likely to be a long wait before you hear anything concrete about a future SE.

:)
Twin Turbo,

It is a tough one but I like your reasoning along with a few other responses here. There will always be something bigger and better and I could always trade up for it. And as we know (or don't know) maybe there will be one or maybe not. I have to admit I am a huge fan of the GT\CS in Ruby Red. It's a sharp looking car. I usually do keep my cars as clean as possible with low mileage so that should help some. I do agree however that I think it will be a good while either way before a SE comes out and if they do then maybe it will have a two year run like the Boss 302 and GT350. Either way I think it's a win win. There are always great cars out there it's just a matter of what we want to spend to get there....as always...:D

Thanks to you and everyone so far with your input!
:thumbsup:

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Hopefully my next Mustang is a Mach 1 with a glass roof.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I just have a feeling it may be more on the side of already available features & a cosmetics package than an actual model, sort of like the GT/CS. The most recent Mach 1, if you take away the 4V 4.6, was pretty much a GT with a track package and the classic Mach 1 cosmetic bits.

They didn't have a performance package for regular GTs at that time, and now that there is one, the exclusivity of bigger brakes, better struts/shocks/springs and a different rear end gear is lost on the Mach 1.

That leaves the engine and cosmetics. The 5.0 seems pretty much like a solid package unless they change the intake, load it with a tune and include an FRPP exhaust. I don't really see what else they could do short of add a supercharger...but that's not a Mach 1 trait. It definitely won't have the distinction that the 4V 4.6 did over the 2v.

And all that leaves is the cosmetics. Chin spoiler, grille delete, some wheels that hopefully don't look like the classic Mach wheels, as they'd be quite out of place on the SS50, and some black bits on the panels. I'm not quite sure a Shaker hood scoop would look right on these cars, intakes sticking through the hood is way too retro for modern car designs.

That said, I hope it does turn out to be something that actually has some unique value as older Mach 1s did. But, if it's really just going to be a GTPP with Mach 1 body parts, that'd be a shame and quite frankly a scam if they charge north of $40,000

Last edited:

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I just have a feeling it may be more on the side of already available features & a cosmetics package than an actual model, sort of like the GT/CS. The most recent Mach 1, if you take away the 4V 4.6, was pretty much a GT with a track package and the classic Mach 1 cosmetic bits.

They didn't have a performance package for regular GTs at that time, and now that there is one, the exclusivity of bigger brakes, better struts/shocks/springs and a different rear end gear is lost on the Mach 1.

That leaves the engine and cosmetics. The 5.0 seems pretty much like a solid package unless they change the intake, load it with a tune and include an FRPP exhaust. I don't really see what else they could do short of add a supercharger...but that's not a Mach 1 trait. It definitely won't have the distinction that the 4V 4.6 did over the 2v.

And all that leaves is the cosmetics. Chin spoiler, grille delete, some wheels that hopefully doesn't look like the classic Mach wheels, as they'd be quite out of place on the SS50, and some black bits on the panels. I'm not quite sure a Shaker hood scoop would look right on these cars, intakes sticking through the hood is way too retro for modern car designs.

That said, I hope it does turn out to be something that actually has some unique value as older Mach 1s did. But, if it's really just going to be a GTPP with Mach 1 body parts, that'd be a shame and quite frankly a scam if they charge north of $40,000
That is a pretty big difference between the 2V GT and the Mach 1. I had an 04 GT and I wanted all those Mach 1 cosmetics lol. The different gauges, seats, the Shaker hood. But I really wanted the 4V because lets be honest, 305HP was alot better than 260 at the time.

If they introduced a Mach 1 into the S550, I would guess it would probably either crank the HP up on the 5.0 or the maybe the voodoo would filter down.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
That is a pretty big difference between the 2V GT and the Mach 1. I had an 04 GT and I wanted all those Mach 1 cosmetics lol. The different gauges, seats, the Shaker hood. But I really wanted the 4V because lets be honest, 305HP was alot better than 260 at the time.

If they introduced a Mach 1 into the S550, I would guess it would probably either crank the HP up on the 5.0 or the maybe the voodoo would filter down.
That's what I'm saying, there really isn't anything to offer that can bring back that same distinction without going FI or using the 5.2. But the 5.2 is very proprietary since it is a purpose built road racing engine. That wouldn't fit into the Mach 1's personality. Plus, if they did that the GT350 may lose some of its own appeal. And if they do FI, what will set the difference between the GT500 and the Mach 1? I think times have advanced too much for Ford to have as many V8 models as it used to. There would be too much overlap.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
That's what I'm saying, there really isn't anything to offer that can bring back that same distinction without going FI or using the 5.2. But the 5.2 is very proprietary since it is a purpose built road racing engine. That wouldn't fit into the Mach 1's personality. Plus, if they did that the GT350 may lose some of its own appeal. And if they do FI, what will set the difference between the GT500 and the Mach 1? I think times have advanced too much for Ford to have as many V8 models as it used to. There would be too much overlap.
True I didn't think of it that way.

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If I was a ford designer and I made a S550 Mach 1:

Starting with a GT Premium/PP car:

1/2" lower suspension over PP cars, with more tuning in front end (better struts, bigger front swaybar)
Rear subframe bracing
Rear 4 piston calipers
GT350 style rear valance with quad tip exhaust
Mach 1 badging on trunk, similar to 03/04 Machs
Mach 1 rocker stripes
CS style blacked out raised pedestal spoiler
1971 style inset hood vents for cold air intake, with pinstripe centered blackout treatment
20" wheels, 5 spokes, but more modern styling (not bullitts, and not the 03/04 mach heritage wheels, but in the middle)
More aggressive chin spoiler, possibly with bracing (like boss 302 laguna seca)
More Retro styled gauges fonts/angled styled like the 14 and older cars. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Recaro Seats with "comfort weave" style inserts to keep the theme

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Fun to search LinkedIn:
2018:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/anwer-a...:primary,VSRPnm:false,authType:OUT_OF_NETWORK
Body Exterior Program Management Team at Ford Motor Company 2018 Mustang
Ford Motor Company
March 2015 – Present (11 months)Dearborn, Michigan

2020:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/hemanth...2,VSRPcmpt:primary,VSRPnm:false,authType:name
Conceptual Design of the Proposed Vehicle(Ford Mustang 2020MY)
April 2015
Talk about stacked resumes. Impressive.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Fun to search LinkedIn:
2018:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/anwer-a...:primary,VSRPnm:false,authType:OUT_OF_NETWORK
Body Exterior Program Management Team at Ford Motor Company 2018 Mustang
Ford Motor Company
March 2015 – Present (11 months)Dearborn, Michigan

2020:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/hemanth...2,VSRPcmpt:primary,VSRPnm:false,authType:name
Conceptual Design of the Proposed Vehicle(Ford Mustang 2020MY)
April 2015
Wow very interesting. Sounds like they're gonna use a similar schedule as the 2010-2014 Mustang. Same styling for 3 years, refresh that lasts 2 model years, then a whole new model. Guess we really won't see anything new till next year.
Sponsored