Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Even if CAFE standards will mandate mpg requirements in a way to force automakers to push their boundaries far, it will not be that soon. Take a look at that table https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#Standards_by_model_year.2C_1978-2011 , 27.5 mpg for passanger cars has been for 20 years. So it will take at least another 15-20 years before it gets to that point that V8 engines will become luxury.
http://spectator.org/articles/34932/goodbye-v-8s-engines-could The 2025 CAFE standard is 54.5 mpg. Back in the 70's I never could never have imagined a 435 hp Mustang getting the mpg my 2015 does. However, observing what European/Japanese manufactures are doing the writing is on the wall. Tuners are already tweaking Ford's ecoboost getting it into the high 12's.
Sponsored

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The V8 isn't going anywhere for a while. Ford wouldn't have spent so much money developing a new engine to just put it in a single car for 4 years.

The one thing that will change is that V8's will get smaller and lighter and go the turbo route, like most europeans are doing with their halo cars.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
The V8 isn't going anywhere for a while. Ford wouldn't have spent so much money developing a new engine to just put it in a single car for 4 years.

The one thing that will change is that V8's will get smaller and lighter and go the turbo route, like most europeans are doing with their halo cars.
True. The GT 350 proves the point. V8 engines will exist but will be on an expensive platform. Ford is already showing their hand with the ecoboost.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Sorry. but Ford could put a 500hp turbo 6 in the mustang, and a NA V8 would still out sell it in north America.
Ford sales figures would disagree with that. They have always shown a vast majority of the sales being the lower option V6 over the V8, and so far (excluding people on this forum) the same is holding true for the S550 (moving more EB's than 5.0's).

you saying they are gonna abandon 50+ years of v8 status? :crazy: yes they love the ecoboost but losing the v8 anytime soon is going to be shooting themselves
Newsflash for the uninformed, the Mustang has not had a V8 option for all 50+ years :lol:

Holding on to something in a machine/technology industry because of 'history' is about the dumbest thing a company could ever do and is a very quick way to write yourself as obsolete.

Progress people, progress, and advancements in technology move us forward; clinging to old-school methods leaves one in the past, where it freaking belongs.

Ford wouldn't have spent so much money developing a new engine to just put it in a single car for 4 years.
:faceplam:
Return on investment....
If they make back the money and then some in those 4 years, it was worth it.

Good lord, I seriously hope none of you ever run a business because general risk/reward practices appear to be a hard to grasp concept for some of you.

Last edited:

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I'll go out on a limb and say when the time comes, the V8 will leverage all available technologies to become more efficient. I think that may include a combination of some or all of the following: turbocharging, smaller displacement, cylinder deactivation, engine start/stop, and even hybrid (to save gas, and as a power adder). I think we'll see the end of the manual before we see the end of the V8 -- and that's going to be unfortunate, because it's so darned fun to row your own. Hopefully I can nurse this MT82 along for a long lifetime...

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
And I'm not saying that the V8 will go away all together. What I am saying is that as time goes on you will see it become less and less. Take a wander around the Ford lots with F150's...the vast majority are not V8's anymore. In fact most are the 3.5 EB and the 2.7.

Just 5 years ago the majority of F150's were the 5.0 or 5.4, not anymore.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
And I'm not saying that the V8 will go away all together. What I am saying is that as time goes on you will see it become less and less. Take a wander around the Ford lots with F150's...the vast majority are not V8's anymore. In fact most are the 3.5 EB and the 2.7.

Just 5 years ago the majority of F150's were the 5.0 or 5.4, not anymore.
And I don't disagree with what you're saying either -- but I think since the F150 is still a relatively more utilitarian vehicle for some, maybe it's easier to bring the ecoboost brand to market -- plus Ford has taken so much weight out of the truck simultaneously.

I actually think the ecoboost sounds good -- but not as good a match for the Mustang's character -- it's perfect for the RS though...

If the gen 7 Mustang goes more Euro, and more Aston-ey, an EB6 might really fit the car well.

(kinda) back on topic -- is there anyone who thinks Ford would bring a turbocharged car to market with the Mach 1 moniker?

Danger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015, Performance Package, Ingot Silver
It's coming the guy on American muscle already said so.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ford sales figures would disagree with that. They have always shown a vast majority of the sales being the lower option V6 over the V8, and so far (excluding people on this forum) the same is holding true for the S550 (moving more EB's than 5.0's).

Newsflash for the uninformed, the Mustang has not had a V8 option for all 50+ years :lol:

Holding on to something in a machine/technology industry because of 'history' is about the dumbest thing a company could ever do and is a very quick way to write yourself as obsolete.

Progress people, progress, and advancements in technology move us forward; clinging to old-school methods leaves one in the past, where it freaking belongs.

:faceplam:
Return on investment....
If they make back the money and then some in those 4 years, it was worth it.

Good lord, I seriously hope none of you ever run a business because general risk/reward practices appear to be a hard to grasp concept for some of you.
Yes, they might make their money back and then some, but you really think ford is looking at it like that? Large manufacturers think big, and if they don't see big profit margins they wouldn't have done it. Definitely not the sort of profit margins they can achieve with 20,000 cars.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

who cares what you think bottom line is mustangs, camaros, and challengers are all about the v8.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
We all have our opinions. But the trend developing before our eyes revolves around government imposed standards. It may be when my three year old granddaughter drives. I won't be shocked when the Mustang of the future is a 2 liter turbocharged hybrid running low 12's off the show room floor.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Just wait until the day that we can't even drive anymore. Self driving cars are already on the way and I think once they are here, it'll just be a matter of time before we are told they are safer. Of course our government loves to make laws that restrict our freedoms in exchange for making us "safer". Give it time, they will decide it is too dangerous for us to drive ourselves, and eventually it'll get to the point where we aren't allowed to drive outside of a closed course. It'll be a sad day, and while I am sure it's a ways out, I would place my bets that sad day will come.

Back on topic. I heard in 2018 Ford is coming out with a Mach 3 Boss Turbo 6 Cobrajet! :headbang:

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
They already tried a Mach3, and it didn't go too well :D :
Please tell me Ford didn't make that abomination. Looks like it popped out of a cartoon. Ewww!
Sponsored