Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm going to assume that it'll shift just like it does in the 13-14 automatics, correct?

I'm going to assume they've done a lot of work to the software to improve the performance of the auto in all respects. Doesn't mean though that the aftermarket couldn't tweak it even more.
Sponsored

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
There are some videos floating around here of "Test Rides" from various car magazines, etc. that show you in car how it shifts. The driving modes in the Premium versions make changes to how it shifts as well. The A/T is great in my 2013. Yeah the rocker switch is horrible, but sport mode without using the switch is quite good. Even in normal mode, it makes up for shift timing with smoothness, much better than an average Manual driver, I'd think.
I agree. I've driven a few and they shift just fine and much more smoothly and quickly than any novice or even average person can do with a manual. My Escape is probably just a bit better than that and the Mustang is notably better still.

It's not easy to shift manually, quicker than an automatic can shift. Way back, you'd simply need a high stall and/or more clutches in the auto and a manual couldn't touch it w/o the aid of air shifters or the like. Today, manuals simply have no chance at being as quick as an electronic signal and I'm only surprised that more people don't know it... almost as much as I've been surprised for years on end that Ford wouldn't put an automatic in the Cobra, then GT500. Sales would be huge if they did and I have recently read that for the next GT500 or whatever they'll call it, an auto will be available. To that, all I could think to say is, it's about time!!! 20yrs ago would've been better, but hey... beggars can't be choosers, eh?? :lol:

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
The 6R80 as used in the Mustang, F-150, and Expedition isn't even a Ford design; they licensed one of the high torque variants of ZF's 6HP transmissions. I will confess that I do not know how much it weighs, but I'm gonna hazard a guess at about 200-220 lbs, give or take.
6HP26 and 26A, I think. Whatever works and it works. :thumbsup:

As for the Coyote, I doubt that much weight will be gained by the charge motion valves. DI hardware, when it comes, doesn't add much weight by itself either.
The only serious difference I would think about with a DI upgrade is the pump... to get that much pressure, the standard stuff we're used to won't do. The remainder of the system is probably about the same weight as everything on there currently. Then again, I have no expertise in DI. My escape has it and if it breaks... I have a warranty. :ford:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
6HP26 and 26A, I think. Whatever works and it works. :thumbsup:

The only serious difference I would think about with a DI upgrade is the pump... to get that much pressure, the standard stuff we're used to won't do. The remainder of the system is probably about the same weight as everything on there currently. Then again, I have no expertise in DI. My escape has it and if it breaks... I have a warranty. :ford:

The physical HPFP weighs less than 5 pounds(I've replaced a few for Mercedes). Actual changes to complete systems however I don't know, but I just can't see 30lbs gained just from switching to DI.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
The physical HPFP weighs less than 5 pounds(I've replaced a few for Mercedes). Actual changes to complete systems however I don't know, but I just can't see 30lbs gained just from switching to DI.
Me neither... 30 is a big change. Of course, if it was that much for the Corvette, so it was... the engines are so different, there may have been a need for things on the GM engine already employed in the Coyote. I was thinking, all the engine changes combined, if it gets DI... still in the 10 lb range. That may suck, considering where it resides, but if it adds 20+hp and opens the door to much more, while bettering fuel economy, I won't whine about it.

Of course, it will be a more difficult engine to upgrade, but that's honestly not my concern. Personally, if I'm upgrading my 2015/16 GT, it's getting a turbo or two and that fuel system will be really handy!

I've had a few of Fords diesel pumps in my hands... a bit of weight, but the far larger concern is the unknown... price.

Something JUST came to mind... I haven't been paying attention but it seems to me the battery is still in the same area as before. THAT should be in the back!!!! Talk about a weight change for good... it would add weight and still be better for the car...

Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
... almost as much as I've been surprised for years on end that Ford wouldn't put an automatic in the Cobra, then GT500. Sales would be huge if they did and I have recently read that for the next GT500 or whatever they'll call it, an auto will be available. To that, all I could think to say is, it's about time!!! 20yrs ago would've been better, but hey... beggars can't be choosers, eh?? :lol:
That always perplexed me as well that Ford refused to offer an automatic in a car so clearly suited for the drag strip and stoplight to stoplight races.

The GT 500 doesn't handle terrible by any means, but it's certainly not what you call an ideal track car. In a car average joe wants to take to the strip or burn rubber in, they would have helped themselves a bunch by offering an auto trans.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Me neither... 30 is a big change. Of course, if it was that much for the Corvette, so it was... the engines are so different, there may have been a need for things on the GM engine already employed in the Coyote. I was thinking, all the engine changes combined, if it gets DI... still in the 10 lb range. That may suck, considering where it resides, but if it adds 20+hp and opens the door to much more, while bettering fuel economy, I won't whine about it.

Of course, it will be a more difficult engine to upgrade, but that's honestly not my concern. Personally, if I'm upgrading my 2015/16 GT, it's getting a turbo or two and that fuel system will be really handy!

I've had a few of Fords diesel pumps in my hands... a bit of weight, but the far larger concern is the unknown... price.
Another thing to consider with DI is noise. If you recall back when the Coyote first launched one of the most common complaints was a ticking noise at idle. Some people even called it the 'dreaded tick'(lol). Direct Injection adds a lot of noise to an engine and even makes it sound like a diesel at idle. Lots of clattering from the HPFP and the hard fuel lines. OEMs have worked hard to reduce this noise(Mercedes uses dense foam around the various components) with varying success but no doubt Ford won't have most of those ideas in place.

Something JUST came to mind... I haven't been paying attention but it seems to me the battery is still in the same area as before. THAT should be in the back!!!! Talk about a weight change for good... it would add weight and still be better for the car...

We've actually had a heated discussion on that topic somewhere in this forum. My conclusions were that the added cost and weight plus the changes in crash regulations would overshadow any performance benefits that might have been had. The Mustang battery is tiny anyway in comparison to many other cars. It wouldn't help performance enough to justify the downsides, IMO.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.