Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Update 6/2/14 by Seth@Steeda (see original post)

Based on our experience working with IRS mustangs in the past we estimated what the weight addition will be. In addition current industry trends with new cars show additional weight being added for various new safety and comfort features.

More fuel for the weight gain/loss discussion here.

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2014/05/2015-mustang-product-development-update/

"Our work is cut out for us because unbeknown to most Mustang aficionados (and not “officially” confirmed by Ford for obvious reasons), the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake – and with weight being the “enemy of performance”, there are plenty of challenges needed to ensure that the 2015 iteration of America’s favorite Pony Car isn’t left at the starting line spinning its wheels against the competition."

It's hard exactly to know whether to take the information seriously or not. What do you all think?
Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Criminy! It almost makes me want to cancel/change my order. We all hoped for same weight or some weight loss, not a huge gain like that. The GT HAS to be at least 450+ horsepower with 410+ torque to contend with that amount of weight gain. The EcoBoost model is starting to sound like a much better idea now.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I would think they would have had to sign a non-disclosure statement to get this car to work with.

With that said, with Ford dragging its heels on weight and power numbers it just lends itself to claims like this. If this is the case I can see why Ford is waiting so long, they are downright embarrassed that it could pick up so much weight. Especially since they have said it will drop some weight and "we are meeting our weight targets" comments. This kind of talk has me deeply worried. I don't want a 4000 pound GT.

So lets go Ford and come out and announce the numbers. Squash these rumors or at least own up to it and don't let potential owners keep ordering weight unseen and then find out they were "duped". This is the one thing that really keeps me back from ordering at this time and rumors like this give me cold feet. Help me out here Ford.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Criminy! It almost makes me want to cancel/change my order. We all hoped for same weight or some weight loss, not a huge gain like that. The GT HAS to be at least 450+ horsepower with 410+ torque to contend with that amount of weight gain. The EcoBoost model is starting to sound like a much better idea now.
You aren't the only one Joe. I'm holding off until I hear at least a HP or weight number. And if I'd order and it comes in at 3900 to 4000 pounds and "just" 425 HP I would ask for my refundable deposit back.

I'm trying not to over-react, but Ford is doing NOTHING to ease the anxiety holding these numbers so close to the chest. It really makes Ford look like they are hiding something. I hope not.

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
This explains why (((FORD))) has not released official Specs...

They know it will not go over well in the Mustang community + GM-Dodge will have a field day laughing at "The New Pig On The Block"...

This really is very upsetting and I do believe it, it may just factor into cancelations (Including mine)-->:shrug:

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
This explains why (((FORD))) has not released official Specs...

They know it will not go over well in the Mustang community + GM-Dodge will have a field day laughing at the "New Pig On The Block"...

This really is very upsetting and I do believe it, it may just factor into cancelations (Including mine)-->:shrug:
I could live with a 100 lb. weight gain on the GT to around 3800 pounds, but I can't stomach a 3900 to 4000 pound GT. Especially if the power bump is a minimal 5 HP to 425 or so and torque stays the same. At that point I would seriously have to start looking at the 2015 Challenger RT Scat Pack with 485 HP and 475 TQ which weighs in at 4140 pounds or so. I'm not a die-hard Ford guy. I have NO loyalties right now, Ford needs to reel me in with these weight and power numbers. I hope they do. But as the days stretch into weeks then months these rumors are going to spread like wildfire. VERY detrimental to Ford not to keep up on the internet/viral rumor mill.

V XIII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
GT Guard MUSTANG
why would u cancel it all about the stang it will still perform just adapt and remove weight

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
I heard the same thing from someone pretty well connected in detroit. He also said that it is very unclear what is intentional misinformation. It will be interesting to see what happens if this is true and a significant amount of orders are canceled because of it. I dont really see Ford setting themselves up for that so I take this with a grain of salt. They are likely just trying to temper some of the weight loss expectations.

OP
OP

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Steeda has been in the Mustang game for a long time which leads me to believe this may be credible, but at the same time no one these days is too good for click bait.

This is part of the reason why I haven't gone and pre-ordered yet. I must say that a weight gain of 200 pounds is probably enough to make me seriously reconsider the purchase.

With this being a "brand new" chassis there is really no excuse to gain that much weight. All of that being said, I'm going to continue to just wait for Ford to release official numbers before I go crazy and make a decision I may regret, and I'd recommend everyone else to do the same.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I totally agree. I've pretty much been a diehard Ford guy for the last 25 years. Their social media and marketing departments are freaking terrible at this point. This information doesn't bode well for them, or us, at all.

I've always had a healthy respect for other muscle/pony/sports cars, but love my Mustangs. However, this really has me considering an alternative now. After reading this, think back to the ride-along reviews given for the EB model. We speculated that it didn't feel so fast because it was about being a better car. I mentioned that my 2004 Mach 1 "felt" faster than my 2013, even. However, if it really gained this much weight, it could actually be slower than we expect.

We need to inundate them with complaints, requests for information, threatening cancelations, etc. Maybe they will get their collective heads out of their asses and release some information.

Sponsored

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I have been saying this since early last year. Other people in the know on this forum have also strongly hinted at it (do a search for it). Unfortunately it's hard to hear the truth behind a chorus of wishful thinkers and guys who drop bad info they heard at the local auto show.

Wait for hard numbers that come official from Ford as Steeda is still working with a test car, but it's time to accept some hard realities. That does not at all diminish the real performance gains of the new chassis, suspension etc. Those are realities too.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Wow. Hugely disappointing. I see no reason to doubt this info. Steeda is a reputable company. They already have access to the car and I'm sure one of the first things they did was weigh it themselves.

That might also explain why so many of those ride-along test reporters seemed a bit underwhelmed with the ecoboost's acceleration.

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
For what it's worth I have not heard 2-300 pounds. ~100 or slightly more was floated around a while back.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
For what it's worth I have not heard 2-300 pounds. ~100 or slightly more was floated around a while back.
Yeah I was about to reply to your earlier post. Sure people have been saying it gained weight, but I don't recall anyone saying up to 300! pounds. That's a significant difference.

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
When "FORD" makes its official announcement (Specs) and it's indeed 200-300lbs fatter and they use the excuse "Well, it has more HP to make up for the weight gain"...I will probably...More than likely, start looking elsewhere...

Ford is Playing us...Chevy announced a new Colorado/Canyon for release this Summer, last year, and with that announcement, they released the Preliminary Specification's...Why?...Because they know them the minute the computer kicks out the vehicle to be built...Ford has known this all along...

"STOP PLAYING US"--> :thumbdown: :ford: :thumbdown:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.