Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buRNout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0, Oxford White, saddle
Ba-da-boop-boop Chish!

Those one-liners made my day haha

on d bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jk
Its heavier....the M3 got heavier until it went back to a TT v6...

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
We can assume this applies to the Corvette too. Kinda explains the strange 190lbs gain. They came out with the major weight gain areas, it only just eclipsed the 99lbs they lost in the structure.

I'll need to search for the article...
Here's one slide I recall from the C7 introduction:

The Z51 equipment added another 100 lbs or so (larger brakes, larger sway bars, eDiff, dry sump oiling, various extra coolers).

It highlights how quickly many small changes can add up (that list shows a ~210 lbs gain). But in the C7's case, the car is such an improvement that the 100 lb gain is a small price to pay.

-T

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Here's one slide I recall from the C7 introduction:

The Z51 equipment added another 100 lbs or so (larger brakes, larger sway bars, eDiff, dry sump oiling, various extra coolers).

It highlights how quickly many small changes can add up (that list shows a ~210 lbs gain). But in the C7's case, the car is such an improvement that the 100 lb gain is a small price to pay.

-T
Thanks for posting that - great illustration!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Good illustration, and it makes me even more comfortable. Items 1 through 6 and item 13 won't apply to the Mustang, that's 88lbs it won't see. Items 7 and 8 are questionable, that's 36lbs, I'm thinking the ILIRS will absorb that 18lbs and some for that brake weight.

Items 10 and 12 could be forced into the US curb weight standard, that's 49lbs of "popular options" We could just count this regardless...

Items 9 and 11, here is our big weight gain from new crash test standards... How much did the C7 gain? 45lbs total. Wow... Scale shattering but still far from 200-300lbs.

Assuming the IRS is 60-80lbs heavier, add in 60lbs for "new crash test" standards. Stretching a bit, I can reach 175lbs with 55lbs of electric, heated, 30 way adjustable Lazy Boys equipped.

Let's pretend the S550 hasn't shed pure mass and the shell weighs exactly the same, the I could see a 3800lbs S550 in US standards.

I'm betting they dropped a couple hundred pounds judging by the mass reduction alone. 200lbs is easy to believe, if they told me 350lbs or 10% (internal goal fleet wide), I'd believe them.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Sponsored

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
As everyone has got this blown way out here is my "opinion" Lets see if I am correct. Been in the car business for over 30 years. Actually worked for Ford for several years. Know how they think and how all manufacturers think. The main concern they have when ever they have a new car release especially one as big as the Mustang is selling out the previous year cars. They are always very careful when the new car has something spectacular the old one doesn't. Now think like them. If they announced the new GT was going to weigh 3400 lbs and have 475 hp what do you think that would do to sales of the current gen? It would slow them down dramatically. They they would have to spend more money (incentives) on the old one to clear them out. If not the dealers would be screaming about leftovers that won't sell and are sitting and they would take less of the new cars until the moved the old. So far the way they are handling not saying anything has been great for sales of the 14's Most dealers here in CA are starting to run out of the good colors and equipment cars. Perfect!

So for all those like me who would love to know what my new car will weigh and what is the HP sit tight in good time we all may be very surprised.

P.s. for those that will say but Steeda said or R/T said pay attention they both just BS'd have no idea and just guessed.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
As everyone has got this blown way out here is my "opinion" Lets see if I am correct. Been in the car business for over 30 years. Actually worked for Ford for several years. Know how they think and how all manufacturers think. The main concern they have when ever they have a new car release especially one as big as the Mustang is selling out the previous year cars. They are always very careful when the new car has something spectacular the old one doesn't. Now think like them. If they announced the new GT was going to weigh 3400 lbs and have 475 hp what do you think that would do to sales of the current gen? It would slow them down dramatically. They they would have to spend more money (incentives) on the old one to clear them out. If not the dealers would be screaming about leftovers that won't sell and are sitting and they would take less of the new cars until the moved the old. So far the way they are handling not saying anything has been great for sales of the 14's Most dealers here in CA are starting to run out of the good colors and equipment cars. Perfect!

So for all those like me who would love to know what my new car will weigh and what is the HP sit tight in good time we all may be very surprised.
Thanks for adding your insights. I think what you're saying reinforces what others here have suspected, and frankly it does make sense from a business perspective. Obviously none of us like the wait, but I for one definitely understand the rationale.

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP

P.s. for those that will say but Steeda said or R/T said pay attention they both just BS'd have no idea and just guessed.
You have a very interesting perspective on this subject. I have to say that it makes quite a bit of sense. In the back of my mind, I was thinking along these lines. I hope you are right ..

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I have always thought this. Just look at from 2010 to 2011 5.0. There was not a ton if info on the 11 until it was near launch. Why it would have destroyed the 2010 sales. I mean if you knew well in advance what the 11 brought over the 10, would you have bought a 10 at full price the dealer could get ? The same for the 2010 ~11 GT500.

When inventory reaches a level that they are comfortable with, we will see numbers.

GTsquid

The fact that they are not releasing info can really mean anything depending on who you ask and how you spin it. I agree regardless of what the specs are, they would not want to jeopardize 2014 sales, but I dont think that they would act any different if the weight was good or bad. Companies just generally don't like to release info on future products when they are still selling an older model. It's really as simple as that.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.