Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
The problem is, Ford said it would weigh less. Why is Ford not at least releasing "Preliminary Specification's"??-->Because they know they screwed up announcing the weight loss-->IMO.
Show me a quote from an official press release or spokesperson.

I don't remember ever hearing that from Ford. Ford would never be so stupid as to make that statement without knowing that it will actually be true.
The only thing I recall Ford saying about weight is that they were working hard to meet their target weight goal. I really don't think Ford would say that the 2015 will lose weight.
Sponsored

OP
OP

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford has never said it will weigh less.

Ford said it reached its weight goals, whatever those may be. They set a goal for their entire lineup of vehicles to lose a certain % of weight. That means fleet average, not necessarily every Ford vehicle.
You know what he's trying to say. We have been told they set aggressive weight targets and they have met those goals. If their weight targets were to not gain 200 pounds, they are being extremely disingenuous.

Weight is more than a number, and it isn't just about bragging rights on paper. We now know that standard base vs standard base adds just a few features over the 14 MY, the biggest being IRS. Are we really supposed to be happy that an all new chassis with a couple new standard features tacked on, even conservatively, added 100 pounds? They also gave us aluminum fenders and decklid to offset over the 14.

I don't think we should be grabbing our pitchforks and heading to Ford, but this isn't great news at all if true.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Ford obviously has done some weight reduction (aluminum fenders, etc). It makes me wonder how much would it have gained without those efforts!? WTF did they do to it? Are the IRS and front subframe THAT much heavier?

How did BMW manage to lose weight? What about the Alpha platform Camaro? Does anyone really think it's going to be this heavy?
Ya, would have been even heavier! Have you seen pics of the rear subframe? Its huge and the 8.8 rear end is steel in the V8 and much larger than the M3s diff.

BMW has super light plastic front fenders that are way lighter than aluminum, and the new M3/4 lost weight by having the carbon roof standard on both 2&4door cars, composite hood and trunk, bolting the diff to the unibody and not the subframe, and a smaller (aluminum vs steel in the stang) subframe, no subframe bushings, carbon composite front and rear crash structures/bumper (vs steel on the stang). It also costs close to 2X as much.

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
I don't think we should be grabbing our pitchforks and heading to Ford, but this isn't great news at all if true.
^+1

This is not cause for a revolution, I 100% agree. However, I will be disappointed if it gains more than 200lbs. Not disappointed enough to cancel my order, but disappointed nonetheless.

Dyno

You know what he's trying to say. We have been told they set aggressive weight targets and they have met those goals. If their weight targets were to not gain 200 pounds, they are being extremely disingenuous.
Not disingenuous, just not very smart for DP to make those statements. As Husker showed, it has the tendency for people to read into it that weight was shed. Still, we know they have never come out and said that.

Weight is more than a number, and it isn't just about bragging rights on paper. We now know that standard base vs standard base adds just a few features over the 14 MY, the biggest being IRS. Are we really supposed to be happy that an all new chassis with a couple new standard features tacked on, even conservatively, added 100 pounds? They also gave us aluminum fenders and decklid to offset over the 14.
This brings up an interesting point. Was this a base GT that Steeda was testing? Was it just the GT that gained that much or is the base model (the one that Ford will be advertising) comparatively lighter in relation to the base 2014? Still questions unanswered. I'm sure Ford will not be happy that Steeda leaked this without giving the full picture.

Sponsored

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
More fuel for the weight gain/loss discussion here.

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2014/05/2015-mustang-product-development-update/

"Our work is cut out for us because unbeknown to most Mustang aficionados (and not “officially” confirmed by Ford for obvious reasons), the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake – and with weight being the “enemy of performance”, there are plenty of challenges needed to ensure that the 2015 iteration of America’s favorite Pony Car isn’t left at the starting line spinning its wheels against the competition."

It's hard exactly to know whether to take the information seriously or not. What do you all think?
Whether that's true or not, I think it's safe to say that the popularly claimed LOSS of "400 pounds" isn't happening.

Still, I don't see the car gaining weight because it uses more high strength steel and aluminum than the current gen, while exterior dimensions are abut the same.

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
I am VERY surprised that steeda would post something like this... Whether true or just for marketing themselves. Part of their relationship with ford that allows them to get access to preproduction cars would not allow them to disclose any specs until ford does. Additionally any personal relationship they had with the mustang team would be harmed. Just seems like a lose lose at this point no matter which way one looks at it. I am sure there are some very angry phone calls hitting steeda leadership soon

MustangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang
The problem is, Ford said it would weigh less. Why is Ford not at least releasing "Preliminary Specification's"??-->Because they know they screwed up announcing the weight loss-->IMO.
When has anyone from Ford ever said on the record that it would weigh less?

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Still, I don't see the car gaining weight because it uses more high strength steel and aluminum than the current gen, while exterior dimensions are abut the same.
And still there are people who refuse to accept it despite all of the info. Trust me you are not doing yourself, or others, any favors.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Whether that's true or not, I think it's safe to say that the popularly claimed LOSS of "400 pounds" isn't happening.

The steel rear subframe is huge and complex. We don't know about the weight differences in the transmissions, and yes, the rear exterior dimensions are about the same.

Sponsored

MustangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang

Keep some things in mind about the new car. Every new vehicle has new, more stringent crash safety requirements to meet like the roof crush, small offset rigid barrier, side pole impact, etc. Meeting those standards plus adding more airbags will inevitably add weight.

The IRS will inevitably add weight. Those 15-inch rotors and 6-pot calipers in the GT PP? Yup more weight.

Other assorted features that today's buyers expect? More weight.

Ford certainly could have used more aluminum like they did on F150, but that would drive up cost. Given the sales volumes of F150 and Mustang, it would be way more beneficial to Ford to go aluminum on the truck first.

Consider this
2014 Camaro SS - 3908 lbs
2014 Challenger RT - 4092 lbs
2014 Mustang GT - 3618 lbs

if we assume worst case (GT Premium with PP) of 300 lbs extra, that puts 2015 on par with Camaro. If the next Camaro comes off ATS/Alpha, you're starting at 3,461 lbs for a V6 RWD ATS, pretty close to the 3,501 of a 2014 Mustang V6.

Start adding in the extra safety gear, and beefing up the Alpha to support a small-block V8 with bigger brakes, tougher rear end and you're right back in the same ballpark of 3,900 lbs.

Until automakers start using a lot more composites (and the price comes down) you're not gonna see big weight loss in these cars.

Gudz2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
When has anyone from Ford ever said on the record that it would weigh less?
I remember watching that video of the head engineer saying it will weigh less and you will be happy

I know of a boss in town for sale at one of my dealerships, I might go look at it soon If these numbers are right.

Gudz2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
Bs I remember him saying it at an auto show on video

GTsquid

Dave P. definitely never said that.

I really hope this leak forces Ford's hand to release full specs earlier rather than later. Whatever the truth is, I just want to know already.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.