Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
As cars get more complex, featuring more safety and luxury equipment, weight is bound to go up. Here's a short chronology of my own personal Mustangs since 2000 (I weighed them all when I owned them for racing statistics). Each is a V8 Coupe...

3180 lbs = 2000 GT Coupe, manual trans
3380 lbs = 2003 Mach 1 Coupe, manual trans
3420 lbs = 2007 GT Coupe, automatic
3570 lbs = 2011 GT Brembo Coupe, manual trans
3600 lbs = 2014 GT Glass Roof Coupe, automatic

I would not be surprised if the 2015 weighed more, considering all that it will offer for equipment.

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Interesting. DMV said that few people understand what it takes to lose 100lbs in this environment. .
I believe that was just in response to people who said it would lose 100 pounds. Seemed to me he was lowering expectations, without actually confirming it gained weight. I believe Jarstang also said something about potential weight gain a while back. All of this, to someone like me who has independently heard credible info from insiders, tells me we need to prepare ourselves.

Proudgeek

OCD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Three Stangs
A 401a will be the worst offender of the gt fastbacks...... Base gt it would have to be for weekend/track warrior

Not nice at all :(

jeebuspwnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
m3
ugh. this is exactly what I was afraid of. Initially the automotive media speculated it was going to LOSE 200-300lbs. I figured that was pretty unrealistic, but did think it was possible that it shed a small amount of weight. I've already had internal discussions with my self that I'd keep my order if it gained UP TO 100lbs, considering all the other improvements the car should have. But if it's more than that, I'm out...

Sponsored

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
On the other hand weight is not the end all be all. I have also heard from many, many people that it drives exceptionally well.

Vickstang

I think some of doomsday people should take a step back for some perspective.

Weight is just one of those things that enthusiasts like to brag about online. Sure, lighter is always better, that's just physics. But, if a car drives well and goes like stink, what does it really matter how much the car weighs at the end of the day other than online bragging rights.

The Nissan GT-R weighs almost 3900 pounds and you don't hear anyone complaining about its performance or lap times. On the other hand, there are tons of cars that are lighter than the mustang that don't have the performance and enjoyment level of the Mustang.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
As cars get more complex, featuring more safety and luxury equipment, weight is bound to go up. Here's a short chronology of my own personal Mustangs since 2000 (I weighed them all when I owned them for racing statistics). Each is a V8 Coupe...

I would not be surprised if the 2015 weighed more, considering all that it will offer for equipment.
+1. More electronics, airbags, etc... = weight.

However, the weight will most likely be in the rear and low due to the IRS, which will improve the cars weight distribution and balance. After daily driving a 2013 fusion for a few months, the ride quality and finesse of ford products has made a huge leap in recent years. Id expect the 15 Mustang to be similar in quality and improvement.

Fwiw, the C7 corvette downsized their tire size from the C6 despite gaining 100lbs. A better design and lower Cg has made the C7 a huge improvement over the 6. Hopefully the Mustang will also see a great leap in performance despite a weight gain. If a 2-300lb heavier GT outruns a BOSS on track (which is lighter than a base GT), then they may have accomplished that.

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150

The problem is, Ford said it would weigh less. Why is Ford not at least releasing "Preliminary Specification's"??-->Because they know they screwed up announcing the weight loss-->IMO.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Uh oh, Chongo. This gives me pause. And I love the new Mustang enough to accept a 100lb weight gain.

Sponsored

Vickstang

Fwiw, the C7 corvette downsized their tire size from the C6 despite gaining 100lbs. A better design and lower Cg has made the C7 a huge improvement over the 6. Hopefully the Mustang will also see a great leap in performance despite a weight gain. If a 2-300lb heavier GT outruns a BOSS on track (which is lighter than a base GT), then they may have accomplished that.
Great point. Just goes to show that a little weight gain may not necessarily be bad. Really what matters when all is said and done is how it performs and feels. Everything else is just magazine / bench racing.

Unfortunately, between the time that specs are actually released (assuming there's a weight gain announced) and when we get our first in-depth driving reviews, there may be a lot of sky-has-fallen reactions just based on the weight figure - without the context of how well the car may perform and drive.

Dyno

The problem is, Ford said it would weigh less. Why is Ford not at least releasing "Preliminary Specification's"??-->Because they know they screwed up announcing the weight loss-->IMO.
Ford has never said it will weigh less.

Ford said it reached its weight goals, whatever those may be. Years back they also set a goal for their lineup of vehicles to lose a certain % of weight. That means fleet average, not necessarily every Ford vehicle.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Might be time to drop that spare tire option I chose :)

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Ford obviously has done some weight reduction (aluminum fenders, presumably more high-strength steel, etc). It makes me wonder how much would it have gained without those efforts, 400-500 pounds?!? WTF did they do to it? Are the IRS and front subframe THAT much heavier?

BWM managed to lose ~175 pounds in the M3/M4. What about the Alpha platform Camaro? Does anyone really think it's going to be this heavy?

Vickstang

Show me a quote from an official press release or spokesperson.

I don't remember ever hearing that from Ford. Ford would never be so stupid as to make that statement without knowing that it will actually be true.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.