Status
Not open for further replies.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So what is changing if they do a 4 door Mustang?
nothing. I don't think there is a market for a Audi A5/A6 "clone" from Ford. Though it would be hilarious if they actually rebadged the VW cars as the Mustang saloon car. Put the Coyote or 3.5EB and A10 trans in it with Sync4 and call it done? If it were to materialize it wouldn't be built anywhere in the Rust Belt. Probably MS or SC.

Frankly I don't know why Ford doen't chop out half it's CUV/SUV lineup while they're at it. If all you make are 5 vehicles but you kick everyone's asses you can still be a profitable company.
Sponsored

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
nothing. I don't think there is a market for a Audi A5/A6 "clone" from Ford.
It most likely would be RWD and a more direct competitor to the Kia stinger. The A5 comparison isn’t worthwhile as it’s far less powerful in every variant aside from the RS5 and the A6 is a full blown sedan and not even close, and that’s before you consider price.

the rakish coupe like sedan segment isn’t as saturated as everyone is making out. Your choices are Mercedes CLS(way more expensive), The bmw 8 series GC(wayyyyyy more expensive), the stinger(direct competition), and the Audi S5 sport back(still only 3xx horsepower and again... more expensive).

there’s space in the segment for this.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
We just saw with the Mach E that our voices don't matter. Ford Execs will do what they want.
Enough voices mattered. Most likely, those of us opposed to the idea did not comprise a majority. The Execs do what the shareholders want.

OP
OP

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
It most likely would be RWD and a more direct competitor to the Kia stinger. The A5 comparison isn’t worthwhile as it’s far less powerful in every variant aside from the RS5 and the A6 is a full blown sedan and not even close, and that’s before you consider price.

the rakish coupe like sedan segment isn’t as saturated as everyone is making out. Your choices are Mercedes CLS(way more expensive), The bmw 8 series GC(wayyyyyy more expensive), the stinger(direct competition), and the Audi S5 sport back(still only 3xx horsepower and again... more expensive).

there’s space in the segment for this.
I disagree. BMWs 8 series and the CLS aren’t direct competition… Otherwise S7/RS7 and the Porsche Panamera would be considered competition as well. All these cars are larger than a Mustang, more powerful and way more expensive. Only a S7 is in range with its 450hp…

At the moment the direct competitor is the Camaro which will be gone in the future… Then there is the C63 AMG and maybe M3/M4, RS5. Besides, none of these cars will offer a V8 in the future so that would be a selling argument for a Mustang. A Stinger isn’t powerful enough… Maybe a competitor for the Ecoboost but who cares about that?

However, there are some rumors lingering that the S650 might end up on some form of the CD6 platform, although these rumors were convincingly dismissed by @amk91 . Now, if the S650 ultimately does end up on some sort of CD6 platform rather than a heavily modifies D2C many of the recent rumors would fit into the picture:
  • “mustang should grow in size”
  • “4-door Mustang”
  • “AWD”
  • “hybrid”
I’m not “familiar” with any of these platforms but I would believe that “Mustang as a brand” would favor a platform that is more flexible than the very specific D2C. Why modify D2C and spent money on it when there is the CD6 platform that suits Fords needs? Besides, a larger Mustang would compete with the well selling Challenger and the range of German upper-class coupes mentioned in the first paragraph. Ford could easily justify a higher price…

Sponsored

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
I disagree. BMWs 8 series and the CLS aren’t direct competition… Otherwise S7/RS7 and the Porsche Panamera would be considered competition as well. All these cars are larger than a Mustang, more powerful and way more expensive. Only a S7 is in range with its 450hp…
That's my bad for not clarifying, point was that the CLS and 8 series are NOT competition, due to their price and power occupying the upper end of the market.

Assuming the Mustang keeps the V8 it would hold the middle bracket of coupe-like sedans.

I see it playing out like this:

High end: 8 series GC, S7, Panamera, Etc.

Mid Range: Mustang GC, (maybe) the eventual M440i GC, and the S5 Sportback. (all of which give the mustang that V8 marketing advantage.)

Lower range: Kia Stinger.... and I cant think of anything else, VW Arteon R maybe?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Agreed, These cars are in a totally different class. Just because they have 4 doors doesn't make them competitors.

Then there is the C63 AMG and maybe M3/M4, RS5. Besides, none of these cars will offer a V8 in the future so that would be a selling argument for a Mustang. A Stinger isn’t powerful enough… Maybe a competitor for the Ecoboost but who cares about that?
Unless there is a Shelby 4 door these "tuner versions are not competitors either. Now on the other hand the Stinger is definitely a competitor. Actually I'd be willing to bet a Stinger is sitting in the Ford design studio. The car meets all the requirement you would want in a 4 door Mustang. Yes the Stinger is a little underpowered but that doesn't concern us.

What does concern us is pricing. A fully loaded Stinger (2wd) is $52K, less than our current Mustang. That means a loaded 4 door Mustang with a V8 will most likely be close to $55/60k.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
However, there are some rumors lingering that the S650 might end up on some form of the CD6 platform, although these rumors were convincingly dismissed by @amk91 . Now, if the S650 ultimately does end up on some sort of CD6 platform rather than a heavily modifies D2C many of the recent rumors would fit into the picture:
  • “mustang should grow in size”
  • “4-door Mustang”
  • “AWD”
  • “hybrid”
I’m not “familiar” with any of these platforms but I would believe that “Mustang as a brand” would favor a platform that is more flexible than the very specific D2C. Why modify D2C and spent money on it when there is the CD6 platform that suits Fords needs? Besides, a larger Mustang would compete with the well selling Challenger and the range of German upper-class coupes mentioned in the first paragraph. Ford could easily justify a higher price…

This is the problem I have with this rumor. As you say, amk91 has given us some pretty strong evidence that the CD6 Mustang was cancelled, and S650 will now be a heavily revised D2C (current) architecture. A 4-door based on D2C just doesn't make sense. The whole point of CD6 was for it to be a flexible architecture, just the sort of thing that would support a family of Mustangs.

Does it make sense for Ford to produce more ICE Mustangs for just one generation when, if the other rumors are true, it'll go pure EV from around the '29/'30MY??

All we can do it wait for leaks and/or the prototypes to be spotted. A 4-door will be pretty hard to hide.

I fully respect Matt and his YouTube channel, and I know a "family" of Mustangs has been discussed before but the one issue I have with this is:

What platform or architecture would this use?

S650 is expected to be a heavily modified version of the S550's D2C architecture. Could they really stretch this to make a 4-door?

D2C was itself a heavily modified version of DEW98, which was used by the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird and Jaguar S-Type. I really can't see Ford dusting off DEW98, which debuted around 1999!!

The most obvious answer would be CD6, but we've been told all other vehicle development was killed off, once the Lincoln Aviator/Ford Explorer twins went on sale.

On a slight tangent, Ford recently re-Trademarked "Thunderbird"
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-trademarks-thunderbird.153657/

They were then spotted testing a Taycan. Could a Thunderbird be a Taycan rival? If so, you'd expect this to utilize an EV specific platform. Of course, this could end up being nothing more than Ford Trademarking the name to ensure no-one else can use it.

But, ask yourself this. In the current climate, what's more believable? Ford build a 4-door coupe/saloon pure EV, or Ford build a Mustang 4-door with ICE engines?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So what is Ford going to do, copy the VW Aero1 skateboard and use that as the basis for a 4-door Mustang? Slap some Mustang logos and badges on it and add a set of tri-bar taillights like they did with the VW ID4 calling it the “MACH-E”? LMAO....

1615492760171.jpeg

1615492883794.jpeg

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So what is Ford going to do, copy the VW Aero1 skateboard and use that as the basis for a 4-door Mustang? Slap some Mustang logos and badges on it and add a set of tri-bar taillights like they did with the VW ID4 calling it the “MACH-E”? LMAO....
The Mach E is a pure Ford design, it shares nothing with the ID4.

The Mustang Mach-E is built on the Global Electrified 1 (GE1) platform which is a heavily reworked version of the C2 platform that is used on the fourth generation Focus and third generation Kuga/fourth generation Escape

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

The Mustang Mach-E is built on the Global Electrified 1 (GE1) platform which is a heavily reworked version of the C2 platform that is used on the fourth generation Focus and third generation Kuga/fourth generation Escape
How many times have you said this? Does repeating the fallacy eventually make it a reality? :facepalm:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
amk91 has given us some pretty strong evidence that the CD6 Mustang was cancelled, and S650 will now be a heavily revised D2C (current) architecture. A 4-door based on D2C just doesn't make sense.
but a reverse-opening 3/4-door would - think RX8. In/Egress out of the current Mustang is plain ridiculous. I think Ford is going to bail on any and all 'new' designs for ICE aside from F-series. And come 2033 and EV are going absolutely nowhere, they'll dust off CD6+ and resume manufacture of ICE as God intended.

The best way to save money in a decidedly uncertain future is to not spend any money.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

I have to disagree. Ford may have a different “platform code name”, but it’s the VW ID4.

Take a very good, deep look at the VW ID4 from every perspective (design concept, interior and exterior) - it’s the basis for the MACH-E. Ford and VW are collaborative partners working on same/similar EV designs - the ID4 existed before the ME...

Go ahead, take a peak.... I’ve posted the ID4 links before in other ME threads.

Grab online photos and post side by side and front/rear images of each.

—-
Thats all I’ll say on that subject, don’t want to turn this into a Mach-e thread.
—-

Now go back to my post above showing the VW Aero1 images and compare the profile to the “4-door Mustang” profile image seen at the top of this page... you can’t tell me that image is not the same as the VW Aero1.... dimensionally and by appearance...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.