Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Zero interest in anything with 4 doors. I like the coupe. Do think the back seat in the mustang is silly, is decorative.

Taking that area back and into the trunk. More storage for track tires or beer coolers.

But then again back seat sells the family guy.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
it's a thin veneer for selling the WIFE on allowing the husband to buy such a 'useless' car.
Do not have that problem, feel very sorry for the men that do. Then that could/is their own fault.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; To me the current Mustang appears to be a physically bigger car than some of the older year Mustang models. I may be mistaken but seem to recall it is built on a platform used for other Ford vehicles.
Since Ford has stopped building the Crown Vic I have thought a four door sedan would appeal to a segment of the population. I do not see the need to call it a Mustang even if they use the same chassis.
A four door sedan with a rear wheel drive, a V8 front engine , naturally aspirated, a manual trans option and a spare tire. Something smaller than the old Crown Vic but some bigger than a Focus.

As far as looks go it might be an odd duck if they try to make it favor the current Mustang. I recall back a few decades when Jaguar made a +2 E Type. They kept the two seater body style and tried to make it a bit longer. The back seat passengers needed headroom so the lines got messed up with a higher roof rake. I never cared much for the +2. That Jaguar kept the very long hood and with the extra length and roof height just did not work. I suspect if Ford tries to do something similar with a four door Mustang it might look odd.

To me a mid sized four door sedan with mustang running gear would be appealing. Especially if I could get a V8 with a manual transmission. It would not have to look like a pregnant Mustang, maybe like a compact Crown Vic?

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
2 years ago everyone acted like I was crazy posting this. Now everyone just accepts that a 4 door Mustang is coming. How times change!
Technically, you're right in the sense that there's a 4 door vehicle with the model name Mustang. Props to you on that technicality :party:. This news comes at the expense of the "original" Mustang and original Mustang owners. The Mach-E shares absolutely nothing with the original Mustang besides the name. While Ford labels it a Mustang, the acceptance of the name Mustang on a crossover was not and is still not well received. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell more vehicles. But at this point, it doesn't matter if someone accepts it as a Mustang or not, Ford has labeled it a Mustang and your car registration doesn't lie.

A lot of the original details given were wrong or misleading. It isn't a car. It isn't based on the current Mustang at all. Its competition isn't the Charger, but a Tesla model. Maybe most importantly of it all, it doesn't have a Coyote or another V8 under the hood, but instead, it's fully electric. At this point, it's safe to say we aren't getting a 4 door sports sedan with a V8.

Also, someone mentioned the phrase 4 door coupe... That phrase bothers me and probably always will. In my mind, it's an oxymoron based on the modern definition of the word coupe.

The more modern definition of a coupe is a car with a fixed roof, two doors, and a sloping rear.

The old timey definition of a coupe is a short, four-wheeled, closed carriage, usually with a single seat for two passengers and an outside seat for the driver.

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
Indeed.........sadly I can no longer trust Ford. If they're prepared to slap a Pony badge on the Mach E electric SUV that shares NOTHING with Mustang apart from the badge and rear tail lights, they'll do anything for a sale.

There IS a strong rumour that Mustang will become a brand of cars. Mach E is the first nail in the coffin :crying:
Fast Forward to 2021 😅🤣😂

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Technically, you're right in the sense that there's a 4 door vehicle with the model name Mustang. Props to you on that technicality :party:. This news comes at the expense of the "original" Mustang and original Mustang owners. The Mach-E shares absolutely nothing with the original Mustang besides the name. While Ford labels it a Mustang, the acceptance of the name Mustang on a crossover was not and is still not well received. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell more vehicles. But at this point, it doesn't matter if someone accepts it as a Mustang or not, Ford has labeled it a Mustang and your car registration doesn't lie.

A lot of the original details given were wrong or misleading. It isn't a car. It isn't based on the current Mustang at all. Its competition isn't the Charger, but a Tesla model. Maybe most importantly of it all, it doesn't have a Coyote or another V8 under the hood, but instead, it's fully electric. At this point, it's safe to say we aren't getting a 4 door sports sedan with a V8.

Also, someone mentioned the phrase 4 door coupe... That phrase bothers me and probably always will. In my mind, it's an oxymoron based on the modern definition of the word coupe.

The more modern definition of a coupe is a car with a fixed roof, two doors, and a sloping rear.

The old timey definition of a coupe is a short, four-wheeled, closed carriage, usually with a single seat for two passengers and an outside seat for the driver.
My post had nothing to do with the Mach E. It is referring to the S650 4 door car. The Mach E was common knowledge when I posted 2 years ago.

Reactions: Ebm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
My post had nothing to do with the Mach E. It is referring to the S650 4 door car. The Mach E was common knowledge when I posted 2 years ago.
Oooooh lol. :shock::frown: Whoops, sorry dude.

It's been awhile. I think several of us, including me, came back to this thread after so much time thinking this was about the Mach-E.

As far as the S650 Mustang platform goes, I've heard so many rumors who knows what's true. Guess we will have to wait until production gets closer. I haven't heard much about 4 doors, but I've heard AWD pop up in the rumor pool recently.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

It's been awhile. I think several of us, including me, came back to this thread after so much time thinking this was about the Mach-E.

As far as the S650 Mustang platform goes, I've heard so many rumors who knows what's true. Guess we will have to wait until production gets closer. I haven't heard much about 4 doors, but I've heard AWD pop up in the rumor pool recently.
It does make sense that Ford builds a 4 door Mustang from a profitability point of view. Ford Makes money on the Mustang coupes. They couldn't on the Fiesta/focus.

Sponsored

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT

Let's revisit this thread in two years. 😆

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It does make sense that Ford builds a 4 door Mustang from a profitability point of view. Ford Makes money on the Mustang coupes. They couldn't on the Fiesta/focus.
Yes, it's more plausible than ever before. They've already made one 4-door Mustang in the form of the Mach-E so the door is already open. The Mach-E made a big uproar, so a second 4-door Mustang shouldn't be as much chaos.

Since Ford Europe is going fully electric by 2030 and hybrid only by 2026, it's plausible that they are making at least an AWD hybrid Mustang, if not, a fully electric Mustang (coupe) for the S650 platform. Sadly though, I don't see them making a Coyote + Electric motor for the GT.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Ford , build a 4 door. But PLEASE DONT CALL IT A MUSTNG.
It mocks the mustang and makes the 4 door a joke.
A mustang is a mustang ! The end.