Sponsored

Rumor: GT500 BASE MSRP is 67k

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
If you compare the 2014 GT500 to the 2014 ZL1, you will see the Ford has a lower MSRP. I would expect the starting MSRP of the GT500 to still be lower than the current generation ZL1.

Not sure why Ford would change that.

People keep spouting all these super high prices. Ford has never done that in the past. Not sure why they would suddenly change now.
Because Ford is in a position of dominance in terms of sales for this market segment, and that's with often times an equal/higher price and/or from Chevy with a comparable vehicle from a lower price option bracket.

Ford will have (very likely) a superior product vs. the ZL1, with better market and brand positioning - they don't need to a __lower__ MSRP.
In 2014 GT500 didn't have all the carbon fiber content. I don't recall if the engine was hand assembled in a low volume shop, or not. Maybe you guys can answer that. But those two things would add cost versus a ZL1. Other than the aero-bits and the carbon fiber hood cover, ZL1 is more similar to SS than GT500 is to GT. That will have a bearing on cost, which is the starting point for price. Ford clearly knows what ZL1 pricing structure is, but I doubt that will mean much more than a footnote to them when they price the GT500. Maintaining sufficient spacing with GT350 is probably more of a factor than ZL1 pricing.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In 2014 GT500 didn't have all the carbon fiber content. I don't recall if the engine was hand assembled in a low volume shop, or not. Maybe you guys can answer that. But those two things would add cost versus a ZL1. Other than the aero-bits and the carbon fiber hood cover, ZL1 is more similar to SS than GT500 is to GT. That will have a bearing on cost, which is the starting point for price. Ford clearly knows what ZL1 pricing structure is, but I doubt that will mean much more than a footnote to them when they price the GT500. Maintaining sufficient spacing with GT350 is probably more of a factor than ZL1 pricing.
I wouldn't think that cost would be such a driving factor in MSRP - especially on a product like the GT500, but you are the industry guru. I don't know how much the carbon parts actually cost to make, either. My post was also about the GT500, not the highest option GT500. I don't think there's much carbon fiber on the "base" GT500.

I think the GT500 could/might be quicker than the ZL1, but they are definitely competitors and Ford should be looking to beat the ZL1. If the GT500 MSRP is higher than the comparable Camaro, it lets in all the arguments about the cost of adding aftermarket equipment to the ZL1 to make it quicker and to compare the modified Camaro to the stock GT500. Those considerations will enter into the buyers' minds.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
If you compare the 2014 GT500 to the 2014 ZL1, you will see the Ford has a lower MSRP. I would expect the starting MSRP of the GT500 to still be lower than the current generation ZL1.

Not sure why Ford would change that.

People keep spouting all these super high prices. Ford has never done that in the past. Not sure why they would suddenly change now.
How about a DCT that will blow your mind when you learn about the replacement cost.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Because Ford is in a position of dominance in terms of sales for this market segment, and that's with often times an equal/higher price and/or from Chevy with a comparable vehicle from a lower price option bracket.

Ford will have (very likely) a superior product vs. the ZL1, with better market and brand positioning - they don't need to a __lower__ MSRP.
They sold the GT350/R Msrp less than the Z28.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But then the Z/28 was probably over-priced. That's just my personal opinion. Pricing was primarily cost-based. And it did have ceramic brakes which really pile up the cost.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Sure, they went through a design process that resulted in a car with X price, they weren't "under-pricing" a Z28, i.e., they didn't think, "We need to be cheaper than a Z/28". Consumer products typically target market segments, that have a pretty wide range of price, then the manufacturer determines their "value" and market position and adjusts - but of course that's all tightly coupled with all the baseline costs for initial engineering, R&D, and all the business support cases (that are also informed by marketing, consumer studies, whatnot ...)

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
But then the Z/28 was probably over-priced. That's just my personal opinion. Pricing was primarily cost-based. And it did have ceramic brakes which really pile up the cost.
Yeah well carbon fiber wheels are more than ceramic rotors.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Sure, they went through a design process that resulted in a car with X price, they weren't "under-pricing" a Z28, i.e., they didn't think, "We need to be cheaper than a Z/28". Consumer products typically target market segments, that have a pretty wide range of price, then the manufacturer determines their "value" and market position and adjusts - but of course that's all tightly coupled with all the baseline costs for initial engineering, R&D, and all the business support cases (that are also informed by marketing, consumer studies, whatnot ...)
Think of all the engineering in the R compared to the Z.
The R is better engineered.

If you don’t think ford considered price when building the GT350/R you’re wrong.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
In 15-20 years the Z28 will be collectible.

NA, titanium rods, stripped track beast.

The R will always be desirable, too.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The pricing of the competition is ALWAYS an important consideration. They would be incompetent if they didn't look at competitors' pricing and make some decisions based on it.

Think of all the engineering in the R compared to the Z.
The R is better engineered.

If you don’t think ford considered price when building the GT350/R you’re wrong.
And better design decisions. For example carbon brakes on a car meant to be somewhat affordable is foolish. Yes, they make sense on a higher end Porsche or a Ferrari, but not on a Mustang/Camaro. Carbon fiber wheels on the other hand is a great idea.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The pricing of the competition is ALWAYS an important consideration. They would be incompetent if they didn't look at competitors' pricing and make some decisions based on it.
JFC, hahaha, that's what I said, I hope people on this board don't have jobs where they have to read ...

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

And better design decisions. For example carbon brakes on a car meant to be somewhat affordable is foolish. Yes, they make sense on a higher end Porsche or a Ferrari, but not on a Mustang/Camaro. Carbon fiber wheels on the other hand is a great idea.
Agreed. This is part of the reason why I say the z28 was overpriced. One is the sticker price, partially driven by the cost of the ceramic brakes. The other is the fact that brakes are a consumable, so owners will have to continue to spend money to replace them. I have a similar issue with Ford's choice of tires instead of coolers for PP2. Tires are a consumable ( Cup 2? Man, are they consumable). Ford should have put coolers on the car that would stay for the life of the car and let buyers put whatever track tire they want on the car as a consumable. But, that's just me.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated