Sponsored

Rumor: diesel, hybrid and EV Mustang s550 under consideration? No turbo 5.0 needed

• Thread starter motoroid65
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

motoroid65

Jalopnik:

Much has been made of how the upcoming 2015 Ford Mustang was designed for global tastes. It's got a potent and apparently fuel-sipping turbocharged four-cylinder engine, an independent rear suspension for your handling pleasure, and it's added a more global style. But could it go even further with a diesel or a hybrid?

That's the speculation raised on the heels of an interview with Mustang powertrain chief Bob Fascetti on the Australian website GoAuto. Here's what he said:
Speaking to GoAuto at the global unveiling of the sixth all-new iteration in 49 years, global powertrain boss Bob Fascetti revealed that Ford is exploring a number of alternatives for the iconic Pony Car.​
"We're not looking at diesel at the moment, but given where we need to go with fuel consumption we are looking at all our options," he revealed.​
"And diesel is one of those options, along with hybrids and electric."​
So Fascetti says a diesel (or whatever) Mustang isn't in the pipeline right now, but it's something they're considering moving forward. Honestly, this sounds to me more like your standard issue car executive "Well, anything is possible" response rather than a definitive product plan.

At the same time, Fascetti had good news for enthusiasts, saying that the Mustang's 5.0-liter V8 should be sticking around for some time.
Asked if the V8 will be able to comply with pollution reduction requirements in the future, Mr Fascetti said the current engine family has been future-proofed to a large extent.​
We can meet emissions with the 5.0 -- that's not an issue. As long as we can meet the demands of what every new Mustang requires, the V8 will be around for a while.​
We never thought we'd be getting the numbers we're getting out of this engine now, even three years ago, so we think the 5.0 still has some life in it yet. And we won't need to (provide forced-induction versions) while we're still providing the kind of numbers (that the V8 is achieving).​
But I have to wonder if anyone would want to buy a diesel or hybrid or electric Mustang. All of those options seem counter to the car's spirit and heritage -- even a high performance, Porsche 918-style hybrid system feels inappropriate on Ford's pony car to me. Who is the customer supposed to be here, anyway?

Hey, I like my Mustangs green too, but usually only when they're driven by a guy named Frank Bullitt. Do you think a diesel or hybrid Mustang is a good idea?
Sponsored

mrkrabz

Threads
Reaction score
An electric hybrid would be nice if it was done right. The new LaFerrari and P1 have amazing performance and fuel economy due to they hybrid systems they have. I don't know if I can trust Ford to do it right though. :/

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Cost would be too prohibitive to do anything performance-wise. Maybe for the SVT variant....

But a diesel Mustang would be cool. Tons of torque down low and get's 30+ MPGs.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
I don't see this happening.

Ford has never been big on diesel passenger cars for the U.S. market. Also, it doesn't have any diesel engine which is anywhere near certifiable by the EPA. Even in Europe, a diesel Mustang would run counter to the image Ford is trying to build for the launch of the S550.

A much more viable alternative would be a dual fuel Mustang which could run on natural gas. Nat gas is relatively dirt cheap, we have a plentiful supply of it, and it burns MUCH cleaner than diesel, even cleaner than "clean" diesel. Heck, it burns cleaner than any ethanol blend of gasoline.

I also don't see an electric Mustang anywhere in the near future. It would be prohibitively expensive, and the image of such an animal runs counter to the Mustang brand identity.

A hybrid Mustang would be the most likely of the three alternatives that were mentioned. Still, I'm not seeing it. That would increase the price of the Mustang, and would make it a very heavy horse, what with all those batteries and electric motors.

IMO, this was just a Ford exec blowing smoke in the direction of the green car Euro-environmentalists to try to keep them from raising a stink about the company bringing a muscle car to the local market. Much ado about nothing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GTsquid

We never thought we'd be getting the numbers we're getting out of this engine now, even three years ago, so we think the 5.0 still has some life in it yet. And we won't need to (provide forced-induction versions) while we're still providing the kind of numbers (that the V8 is achieving).
This is the most interesting part to me. If this is true then he's saying there's no S/C or turbo 5.0l in the works currently. Bummer.

I want to know exactly what kind of numbers are they seeing that they don't need it. I can't imagine even with DI getting the kind of halo power numbers suitable for the top of the line hipo variant. Unless they are including flat crank into this blanket statement.

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Seeing how much of a success the e-Focus is... NOT, I hope they don't get any stupid ideas with the Mustang.

ischul757

Threads
Reaction score
Diesels produce mad torque; a Jetta TDi Sportswagen has more torque than a GTI so horsepower isn't always the go to number-

I'd buy a turbo diesel Mustang; but i'm an oddball. If they do come out with one, it will be after I buy a gas engined stang-
Sponsored